Zadorov or Risto?

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I mean clearly Risto is being played over his head. Regardless he is a better player than Zadorov is.

Disagree. 3 years ago, I might have agreed with you, but Zadorov has passed Risto in his ability to play the game, especially at even strength.

Risto has regressed at a terrifying rate. All his strengths, have deteriorated. His skating, he has gotten slower in top speed, his acceleration has slowed down. His shot selection and accuracy has gone down hill. His ability to make the first pass has been inconsistent. His play in his own end has been getting worse. He seems to have gotten worse at clearing his crease or engaging guys on top of our goaltender.

Zadorov, on the other hand has gotten better. One of the more important aspects in the league today, being mobile and reliance on skating, Zadorov is way ahead of Risto in that regard

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Ian Cole has probably been the Avs' best Dman this year playing difficult minutes, Zads is getting easy, sheltered minutes if he's even get them at all (7min toi last night?? and just 15min-ish overall)

It's one thing to be down on Risto, but to build it as Zads being something that he isnt is pretty laughable. Dude is more on McCabes level if that in reality.

Reactions: Dingo44 and Rasmi

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Disagree. 3 years ago, I might have agreed with you, but Zadorov has passed Risto in his ability to play the game, especially at even strength.

Risto has regressed at a terrifying rate. All his strengths, have deteriorated. His skating, he has gotten slower in top speed, his acceleration has slowed down. His shot selection and accuracy has gone down hill. His ability to make the first pass has been inconsistent. His play in his own end has been getting worse. He seems to have gotten worse at clearing his crease or engaging guys on top of our goaltender.

Zadorov, on the other hand has gotten better. One of the more important aspects in the league today, being mobile and reliance on skating, Zadorov is way ahead of Risto in that regard
Sorry but i think it's a bit absurd and overly pessimistic to suggest Zadorov is as good as Risto is so far in their career. Why is he so sheltered if he's as good as you suggest? He would get caved in to a ridiculous degree if he was playing the minutes and competition that Risto does. This is the "the grass is always greener" mentality at work. Yes Risto has regressed but he still played 28 minutes against Kucherov and co in a win, he still gets up to play when the games are big. I don't think Zads could do that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dingo44

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Yeah no. Zadorov definitely not has constantly "improved" while risto has constantly "regressed". Risto has had to carry entire blue lines. He still has minimal help with Scandella falling off significantly.

In a year or two I cannot wait to see Risto down to 22-23 minutes a game playing with a true top pair dman in Dahlin. The number of dmen who have put up 3 consecutive 41+ point seasons is not that big. His defensive game has also been overblown. Hes on the ice far more then anyone else so of course you are going to notice him more both good and bad. It's just that bad plays are far more noticeable then simple routine good ones which Risto still executes. To say he isnt still a #2/3 dman is laughable.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Zads is now a healthy scratch for tonights game against the Caps. He took a stupid penalty at a crucial point during the Bruins game and never saw the ice again. Definitely in Bednar's dog house at this point.........

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
The Av's propped up Zads icetime last season to show they didn't get hosed on the ROR deal. He's the Av's Tage Thompson. :laugh:
Interesting comments The Colorado Avalanche need to keep Nikita Zadorov away from Erik Johnson
Ian Cole has probably been the Avs' best Dman this year playing difficult minutes, Zads is getting easy, sheltered minutes if he's even get them at all (7min toi last night?? and just 15min-ish overall)

It's one thing to be down on Risto, but to build it as Zads being something that he isnt is pretty laughable. Dude is more on McCabes level if that in reality.
Agree about Cole. Johnson has been a mystery so far this season.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Avs are really a 1 line team. McKinnon, etc.. That's on Sakic more than Bednar.

I would not play Zadarov with McKinnon's line either. I don't see it as "sheltering". I call it proper utilization and common sense.

I'm not part of the anti-Ristolanien cabal by any stretch of the imagination. He's clearly called on to do too much and is expected to play beyond his capabilities. He's not Drew Doughty or Duncan Keith or Hedman. Dahlin's that guy. When he's finally ready.

Zadorov is playing well and a good fit for his team. He's the Avs Jerry Korab. And my confidence in his play continues to grow. Can't say the same for Risto. Want to see him succeed but he can't the way he's being over utilized.

Boy, I sure have a lot of crow to eat because of this post!!

Prospero

Feb 23, 2013
Buffalo
Risto is the heart and soul of the Sabres. Zadorov was supposed to be his partner. The Sabres decided that they hate Russians, so that's that.

Ought to make a cheeky offer for William (the good) Nylander, since we like Swedes now.

Gonna patent the Swedish Connection, no doubt, and sell it to Pegs for a cool Billion.

Derg12

Mar 12, 2014
Risto over Zad in any league format. Likely more so in H2H leagues that include not just points, but shots, power play points, hits and blocks.

Zadorov might get slightly more hit/PIM but he has no chance at the PP, less ice time = less shots/points.

The only way I would take Zadorov is in a deep league where I'm good everywhere else and needs hits.

Last edited:
Reactions: thomas vanek

Derg12

Mar 12, 2014
The Sabres decided that they hate Russians, so that's that.

Zadorov was suspended a few times for sleeping in, stupidly getting delayed in the Dominican Republic and not being able to report to camp for a game. As someone else stated earlier in this thread, he had an "attitude" issue -- basically, he wasn't taking things as a professional athlete seriously enough to earn trust within the organization and eventually became expendable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad