Confirmed with Link: Zadorov + Anton Lindholm traded to Chicago for Saad ($1M retained) + Dennis Gilbert

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Shit, i dont hate Saad, but i was hoping for bonafide top-six player, not a middle-six one. Meh.
Hopefully this means Pietrangelo as replacement for Zadorov.
I seriously doubt it. My guess is Sakic goes in for Vatanen. Pietro wants a BIG contract, and he just went to Vegas today to check them out.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Saad is in his prime, a good player, but would rather he didn't just have one year.

Saad is only 27 (about to turn 28) and can be re-signed for cheaper than $6M. That's even better than getting him with more term.

I really think he can be a great fit on this team and in the locker room. Been hoping they'd bring him in for a while. You win championships with guys like this.

Reactions: MarkT and Richard88

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Bye Big Z. I loved having him on our team. Hopefully he finds success in Chicago (just not against us).

I do like the fact that we've added to our top-6 so a guy like Donskoi can fill that middle-6 role rather than being a mainstay on the 2nd line.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Really solid move by Sakic.

Saad will fit nicely on the 2nd line next season. For the first time in a long time, I can confidently say this team has (6) true top-6 forwards.

Zadorov will be missed. He was a fan favorite who struggled with inconsistency in the regular season, but always turned things up a notch in the post-season.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Amazing trade, wow. Getting retention on Saad is beautiful.

Not a fan of Zadorov in the division, but there's not much else to not like about this trade.

Saad ticks every box:

- in his prime
- top 6 forward, 25 goal/50 points
- good on the PK/PP
- cup winning experience

The fact that he's signed for just 1 year gives us a tonne of flexibility next year with Makar/Landeskog deals, and also means that Saad won't need to be protected but can be resigned after.

Our top 6 is looking as complete as ever now, and bumps Donskoi down onto what is now a solid 3rd line with him and Nichuskin.

jaisen73

Oct 5, 2006
Gilbert has played some NHL and Lindholm has never done much for me so that seems like an even swap, though Gilbert is younger. Saad likely means they weren't in the hunt for Hall or dropped out of it. I love Big Z's personality and I've sometimes loved his game. But he's inconsistent, there are players in the pipeline (Byram) and cap considerations going forward. Adding Saad means Sakic and Co. are acknowledging Donskoi is more of a Top 9 than a Top 6. I like the addition.

Reactions: Goulet17

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Who will PK though?

Assuming this trade means Cole and EJ get heavy tough minutes and will break down.

Makar Girard Cole EJ Graves and who? Timmins isn't reliable health wise and is a rookie. Byram is a rookie.

EJ will break down at some point. Girard and Makar will have to step up big time.

Not that Z was a particularly good PKer. But at least if he got hurt blocking a shot it was no big deal.

It's nice having a pile of expendable bodies like Graves Cole etc where if they get injured you don't really hurt your chances of winning.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
We have $6.5m to spend on a Dman.

Graves and Jost remain unsigned.

upload_2020-10-11_0-11-51.png

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Saad - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Landeskog - Kadri - Burakovsky
Nichushkin - Compher - Donskoi
Calvert - Bellemare - O’Connor

GTFO Jost and would be nice to upgrade Compher at 3C.

Would one Derek Ryan from the Flames interest you? He's been solid for the Flames, but they likely need to clear some cap

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Chicago signed Z to a 1 year 3.2M deal. I mentioned earlier it was weird that Z didn’t file for arbitration. Looks like it was known he would simply accept his QO once officially traded to another team. Also explains why his agent was so in the know of the trade prior to it happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad