Zadina

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
So Zadina is an RFA now, what do we think is gonna happen with him? Headed towards arbitration? If he's offered a contract it will be beans from Stevie or like a 2mil 1 year one more chance to prove yourself?

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
So Zadina is an RFA now, what do we think is gonna happen with him? Headed towards arbitration? If he's offered a contract it will be beans from Stevie or like a 2mil 1 year one more chance to prove yourself?
I don't think he will be headed to arbitration. He knows he hasn't shown anything to get anywhere with an arbitrator.

My guess is a 1 or 2 year deal worth $1.5M -$2.0M per year. That would be best for him and the club.

Personally, I think he will be gone this summer, contract or no contract. There's just no room for him with Berggren coming up, and Soderblom and Andreasson coming over from Sweden. On top of that, we'll hopefully trade for or sign a #1or2C. He might be part of that package.

Reactions: lilidk

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
I don't think he will be headed to arbitration. He knows he hasn't shown anything to get anywhere with an arbitrator.

My guess is a 1 or 2 year deal worth $1.5M -$2.0M per year. That would be best for him and the club.

Personally, I think he will be gone this summer, contract or no contract. There's just no room for him with Berggren coming up, and Soderblom and Andreasson coming over from Sweden. On top of that, we'll hopefully trade for or sign a #1or2C. He might be part of that package.
I think we are gonna have a boatload of players in camp this year. Yzerman isn't afraid to give guys a shot but ya if you look at the roster/prospects/rookies we will have a lot to choose from. You notice in his trades its never 1 for 1. He always seems to get an extra piece wether its a pick, or depth player

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

He doesn't have arbitration rights.

I think Zadina has to wait for that for another 2 seasons after 3-year ELC.

Think he could get indentical contract as Rasmussen year ago. 3 years 1.4-1.5M. Or maybe less.

Almost identical production (Zadina slightly better), but Rasmussen has more intangibles.

Last edited:

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
He doesn't have arbitration rights.

I think Zadina has to wait for that for another 2 seasons after 3-year ELC.

Think he could get indentical contract as Rasmussen year ago. 3 years 1.4-1.5M. Or maybe less.

Almost identical production (Zadina slightly better), but Rasmussen has more intangibles.

This. But I’m still in the trade him and Hronek to the moon camp.

Reactions: golffuul and Snuggs

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
I think we are gonna have a boatload of players in camp this year. Yzerman isn't afraid to give guys a shot but ya if you look at the roster/prospects/rookies we will have a lot to choose from. You notice in his trades its never 1 for 1. He always seems to get an extra piece wether its a pick, or depth player
Like I said, "part of a package". It's going to take a lot more than Zadina to get a good centerman.

Reactions: WF19

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Get rid of him in a package for a top 4D while teams may still value his “potential”. By the end of next season I expect his value to be worth something around a 5th round pick at best.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I expect him to get a 2 year "prove it" bridge deal and be on the roster next season.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
His current value is not much more than that.
We’ve seen really bad young players who have “potential” due to draft position or junior/AHL play get traded for 2nds in the past. I think if he were to be traded now that’s what you would expect

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
This. But I’m still in the trade him and Hronek to the moon camp.
I'm not attached to either player but you need to replace them with better options if you trade them.

Even if Edvinsson pulls a Seider and takes the #2 spot, that moves Hronek down the lineup where he'd look better.

Same goes for Zadina though that seems more easily replaceable.

Reactions: haulinbass

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I'm not attached to either player but you need to replace them with better options if you trade them.

Even if Edvinsson pulls a Seider and takes the #2 spot, that moves Hronek down the lineup where he'd look better.

Same goes for Zadina though that seems more easily replaceable.

Zadina out - Berggren in.
I doubt that Berggren, a feisty, fast and skilled winger scores less than Zadina’s 26 points. He would have to Uber bust to not score that much.

Or shit, sign Palat. He’s a good guy in the room, plays solid 2 way hockey and has some life left. He plays in a way that he could contribute as a great 3rd liner when he’s older and slower. And he can help to bring in a winning culture.

Hronek out - Klingberg in.
Trade for Klingberg’s rights. Offer him a front loaded 6 year deal. Defensemen age better than forwards and he’s less than 30, AND he doesnt play a physical grinding style that ages poorly, and he also doesn’t have bad injury history. So you get 4-5 good years of him on the 2nd pair next to Edvinsson. The final year we can expect the cap to be north of 90 mil and if we need to move him then we can move him. But he can be the RD solution behind Seider for years.

Relegate Lindstrom back to 7th d and sign Jan Rutta for the 3rd pair RD spot me I think we made our defense at least league average again even before getting anther LD.

Reactions: WF19 and golffuul

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Zadina out - Berggren in.
I doubt that Berggren, a feisty, fast and skilled winger scores less than Zadina’s 26 points. He would have to Uber bust to not score that much.

Or shit, sign Palat. He’s a good guy in the room, plays solid 2 way hockey and has some life left. He plays in a way that he could contribute as a great 3rd liner when he’s older and slower. And he can help to bring in a winning culture.

Hronek out - Klingberg in.
Trade for Klingberg’s rights. Offer him a front loaded 6 year deal. Defensemen age better than forwards and he’s less than 30, AND he doesnt play a physical grinding style that ages poorly, and he also doesn’t have bad injury history. So you get 4-5 good years of him on the 2nd pair next to Edvinsson. The final year we can expect the cap to be north of 90 mil and if we need to move him then we can move him. But he can be the RD solution behind Seider for years.

Relegate Lindstrom back to 7th d and sign Jan Rutta for the 3rd pair RD spot me I think we made our defense at least league average again even before getting anther LD.
Agree. Berggren is the easy replacement for Zadina at this point, if he gets traded. I wonder what Yzerman thinks a new coach can do with some of the folks who have clearly either not made the strides that they "should have" (Zadina) or regressed almost beyond hope (Hronek). My guess is Yzerman would be more patient with a guy like Zadina than a guy like Hronek, because of what they offer to the team and their ceiling. Hronek is capped, IMO, and Zadina potentially has more to show because it's pretty clear that he's still forcing things offensively.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Agree. Berggren is the easy replacement for Zadina at this point, if he gets traded. I wonder what Yzerman thinks a new coach can do with some of the folks who have clearly either not made the strides that they "should have" (Zadina) or regressed almost beyond hope (Hronek). My guess is Yzerman would be more patient with a guy like Zadina than a guy like Hronek, because of what they offer to the team and their ceiling. Hronek is capped, IMO, and Zadina potentially has more to show because it's pretty clear that he's still forcing things offensively.

If Stevie hires an experienced NHL coach then Zadina, Hronek, and Erne are screwed unless they can bring another level of effort and toughness.

I also think this marks the end for DDK, and Oesterle will be relegated to 7th D. No point in offering QO to Stephens or Juolevi, any coach that wants to stay in the NHL isn't going to play either of those 2.

If Stevie doesn't wind up signing some decent UFAs, the new coach won't last long.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
If Stevie hires an experienced NHL coach then Zadina, Hronek, and Erne are screwed unless they can bring another level of effort and toughness.

I also think this marks the end for DDK, and Oesterle will be relegated to 7th D. No point in offering QO to Stephens or Juolevi, any coach that wants to stay in the NHL isn't going to play either of those 2.

If Stevie doesn't wind up signing some decent UFAs, the new coach won't last long.
I can see that. I do wonder if Zadina is held on to as a bottom 6 forward and if he climbs the depth charts, then it is a bonus. If not, then at least you have a hard-working forward with more scoring ability than Erne.

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014
I would like to see what he does with a different regime. I would hope whoever takes over is more competent at utilizing players to their skillset, and run a better system than the disaster that was Jeff Blashill. Maybe the new guys can maximize his potential. No harm in keeping him around to see for another 1-2 years. He's 22. Worst case he still sucks and loses a roster spot out of training camp and gets waived.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad