Zadina is getting ready

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I'm not trying to prove that it hurt him. If you ask me explicitly "Was Zadina hurt by Covid?" the best thing I can say is "I dunno, maybe."

All I'm doing is refuting your stance that Zadina was definitely not hurt by Covid. What Matthews did is meaningless. "I'm fine" is meaningless. Zadina's performance may have been hurt by Covid. That's all I'm claiming.

So don't push it forward as an excuse without evidence.
That's it.
If you push that narrative, I'll push back.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Zadina has mostly been underwhelming for his draft pedigree but the point here is that in a season where everyone on the Wings struggled to score and one where he missed time due to a respiratory virus, people are taking a wait and see approach.

And I'd say that's pretty wise.
That's literally all I have been trying to say. And when I bring up COVID, I bring it up in terms of "at the very least his season was broken up due to being out of commission for COVID protocol, and it is possible it negatively affected him for a time after coming back."

Throw an 18-21 year old into the NHL at irregular intervals and throw in more irregularity with the pandemic when he is finally getting consistent NHL time and you are not putting a player in a position to succeed early. He may continue to not do well, or he may do better. But I don't see how someone can make a clear distinction either way at this point.

Reactions: ricky0034 and Bench

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Marco Rossi is a young guy. He had covid how come it almost killed him and matthews had a career year if it affect people the same?

I need the PHD medical experts of the forum to enlighten me

LOL.
Marco Rossi missed the whole f***ing year.
Zadina bounced right back and said he felt great.
Additionally, Zadina earned rave reviews for his puckhounding - not something usually done by COVID longhaulers.
Comparing Rossi to Zadina is nonsense and you know it.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Are you sure about this? He has been mediocre ever since being drafted? Or are you just referring to his 86 NHL games separated out over three seasons, two of which were affected by the pandemic?
Oh... he's been mediocre in the AHL, WJC, and World Championships as well

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
LOL.
Marco Rossi missed the whole f***ing year.
Zadina bounced right back and said he felt great.
Additionally, Zadina earned rave reviews for his puckhounding - not something usually done by COVID longhaulers.
Comparing Rossi to Zadina is nonsense and you know it.
Comparing one player's COVID response to another's is nonsense in general, but the only reason Rossi was brought up was because of people like you bringing up guys like Matthews.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
So don't push it forward as an excuse without evidence.
That's it.
If you push that narrative, I'll push back.
I'm not "pushing" anything. I'm participating in a conversation, that's all.

"Zadina was bad last year, let's discuss that"
"Well, one potential reason for his badness is the fact that he had Covid"
"Nope, impossible, because Matthews, and also he said he's fine"

I don't understand what you think this is. I'm not writing Zadina's biography. I'm not negotiating his contract. I'm just on a discussion board. I'm saying there is a realistic possibility that Covid affected Zadina's performance last year. And there is, despite anything you have said. You are the one being unreasonable here.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
What is this thread?? Everyone responding to 1 Troll. He is Trolling you.

Zadina was a 6th OA pick. Our fan base thinks all 6th OA picks are first line players.
Thats the first mistake right there.
Unreasonable expectations.
I have no expectations on our prospects. I expect nothing, it helps me appreciate ANY prospect who actually does anything.

Is Zadina an NHL player now... yup.
Is he a good one? Don't know yet.

Does ANYONE on our team look good recently? Not really.
Are they all effecting each others production? Yup.
Is it because they all are not very good yet? Yup.

Key word is YET though. Lets see how they keep improving.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
What is this thread?? Everyone responding to 1 Troll. He is Trolling you.

Zadina was a 6th OA pick. Our fan base thinks all 6th OA picks are first line players.
Thats the first mistake right there.
Unreasonable expectations.
I have no expectations on our prospects. I expect nothing, it helps me appreciate ANY prospect who actually does anything.

Is Zadina an NHL player now... yup.
Is he a good one? Don't know yet.

Does ANYONE on our team look good recently? Not really.
Are they all effecting each others production? Yup.
Is it because they all are not very good yet? Yup.

Key word is YET though. Lets see how they keep improving.

giphy.gif

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I'm not "pushing" anything. I'm participating in a conversation, that's all.

"Zadina was bad last year, let's discuss that"
"Well, one potential reason for his badness is the fact that he had Covid"
"Nope, impossible, because Matthews, and also he said he's fine"

I don't understand what you think this is. I'm not writing Zadina's biography. I'm not negotiating his contract. I'm just on a discussion board. I'm saying there is a realistic possibility that Covid affected Zadina's performance last year. And there is, despite anything you have said. You are the one being unreasonable here.

"One possible reason" was the price of Bitcoin. Zadina might have been upset that he sold his Bitcoin and invested in GME at $350.
Another "possible reason" was Zadina was distraught about the results of the superbowl.

I can list "possible reasons" all day.

If you offer "possible reasons" for something and are unprepared to defend them with anything, don't expect anyone to buy it.

evolutionbaby

Jan 7, 2012
"One possible reason" was the price of Bitcoin. Zadina might have been upset that he sold his Bitcoin and invested in GME at $350.
Another "possible reason" was Zadina was distraught about the results of the superbowl.

I can list "possible reasons" all day.

If you offer "possible reasons" for something and are unprepared to defend them with anything, don't expect anyone to buy it.

Except we KNOW that Zadina had Covid

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
without over thinking it the red wing that i was most impressed by because of his all around game last season was zadina , he displayed high hockey iq / hands / edges / hustle in a manner that said 'leadership' . so im super high on him breaking out into a 60 point player this season and want him on the 1 line with larks n jake as hes the best player on roster to boost the other two goal totals !

Reactions: Barry Amsterdam

evolutionbaby

Jan 7, 2012
But YOU DON"T KNOW it impacted him at all, and yet you're perfectly fine speculating that it did because it fits your current narrative.

A narrative you'll have no use for if Yzerman decides Zadina's not working out and trades him.

Im not speculating anything and never have. I was just pointing out your terrible comparison.

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
I think Zadina is progressing nicely and I’m pretty confident he’ll be a long term piece in our top 9. I’m unsure where exactly it’ll be, but I’m cheering for him.

And if he ends up getting traded at some point I hope we “win” the trade.

(It’s not difficult)

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
On the brighter side, I had covid.

Not much to worry about. Didn’t have any vaccines or ivermectin handy so I combatted it with cigarettes and coffee. 2-3 days of “flu like symptoms.

Reactions: ealong59

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018

It really isn't out of the question to question whether covid had an effect on Zadina's personal finishing this season, given how much Buffalo and New Jersey regressed after both teams had their respective outbreaks.

upload_2021-9-5_18-12-13.png

This is what Zadina's finishing dip looked like last season. Chances are, even if his even strength impact doesn't improve much, there's a very good chance his shooting percentage improves next season.

Last edited:

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
I'm just curious as to why and how the graphs and stats used at the top of this page are "accepted" but using certain other graphs and statistics to prove other points are "conspiracy theories"?

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I get that, and I think the same thing about improved passing on defense and the possibility of having guys like Suter, Veleno, Vrana and maybe Berggren will help.

I will say that one of the traits that the very best goalscorers in the NHL all have is the ability to handle a hot pass, settle it down and turn a knucklepuck of a pass into a shot on net. Recent players that I can think of doing that were Marian Gaborik, Rick Nash and Jarome Iginla. Those are guys that I watched repeatedly turn nothing into something. I'm hoping Zadina can also develop that skill this year.

Hossa was fantastic at it. One second it was in his feet the next it was in the net.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Crunchy

Jan 27, 2020
This thread is truly something. I have so many comments, and yet it's just not worth it.

I'm very excited to watch Zadina this year. A little pick movement from the backend and an (hopefully) adequately (but not too adequately) functioning offense should be fun.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
This thread is truly something. I have so many comments, and yet it's just not worth it.

I'm very excited to watch Zadina this year. A little pick movement from the backend and an (hopefully) adequately (but not too adequately) functioning offense should be fun.

That's what we are gonna see. My Finnish favourite changed their defense totally and that's so much more offensive now, when they get the Zone exits working all the time and fly also over the neutral zone.

Every forward will take a step because the defence is rebuilt.

Reactions: Retire91

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad