Zack Stortini

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
According to an article in the Edmonton Sun, the Oilers have signed Zack Stortini, although he'll spend the year in junior, NHL or not. Edmonton picked him in the 3rd round, 94th overall, in 2003.

He was originally thought of as the Oilers' enforcer of the future, but he was very impressive at the rookie camp, and people are starting to think he could be more than just a tough guy.

Any OHL fans have opinions on Stortini?

EDIT: Here's the article.

Booyah!

Sep 5, 2004
He's more than an enforcer, he's a Power Forward with Heavyweight potential IMHO. :teach:

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Booyah! said:
He's more than an enforcer, he's a Power Forward with Heavyweight potential IMHO. :teach:

In the manner of a Simon? Or who else would he be compaired to?

Just_a_girl

Jul 27, 2004
Clarkston, MI
That's great! :handclap: Zack really deserves this. He's worked so hard for it. He's a great player and has a lot of character. He'd make a great addition to any team. Congrats!!! :banana:

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004
Power Forward

Even if, I think it's a bit early to talk about Power Forward, if he ever becomes one it won't be the premier type (IMHO) but he could be a decent second line one. He's got potentiel... and a GREAT attitude to go with it... but don't expect Cam Neely here... Simon is a good example of what he could become :dunno:

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Bartender said:
Even if, I think it's a bit early to talk about Power Forward, if he ever becomes one it won't be the premier type (IMHO) but he could be a decent second line one. He's got potentiel... and a GREAT attitude to go with it... but don't expect Cam Neely here... Simon is a good example of what he could become :dunno:
I definitely don't expect a Neely/Shanahan type guy. I'd love a 20 goal scoring Chris Simon type player though and Stortini could possibly have the upside. I don't think he'll ever be a consistent 30 goal/30 assist type player but he could have 2nd line upside. He definitely has the attitude to get there...

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004
Exactly..I think 20 to 25 on a regular basis would be a solid contribution from a legitimate Heavyweight :handclap:

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Bartender said:
Exactly..I think 20 to 25 on a regular basis would be a solid contribution from a legitimate Heavyweight :handclap:
I think that would be extremely solid... I'd say that's Stortini's highest possible upside though and I'm not too sure if he'll ever be a consistent 20 goal threat.

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004
Stortini

You're probably right and I might have get a little bit carried away but I think it's still possible though a 15 to 20 might be more realistic... but like I said I still believe he can hiot 20 to 25 if he continu working on his skating like heb did over the last year or so

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
His offense is quite limited, my bet would be that he rarely gets more than 15 goals a year. He looks like he could be a Simon or Wiemer type of player, but possibly with even more limited offense. If you recall Simon and Wiemer both showed good offensive promise (74 points in 57 games in the OHL for Simon and 92 points in 72 games in the WHL for Wiemer, both as 18 year olds, despite the fact scoring was at an all time high those are still some great numbers) in junior and were top 2 round picks. To me Stortini does not have that offensive potential and it hurts his stock because it suggests he will never be more than a 3rd line grinder/enforcer, or 4th line enforcer. I really don't see him becoming a second line guy, his skating being the most limiting factor, but I also am not convinced he has the nose for the net or passing ability to contribute on a second line. That said, he seems to have the intangibles necessary to make it and we should see him in the NHL. It's just a question of upside.

Divine Wind

AJ1982 said:
His offense is quite limited, my bet would be that he rarely gets more than 15 goals a year. He looks like he could be a Simon or Wiemer type of player, but possibly with even more limited offense. If you recall Simon and Wiemer both showed good offensive promise (74 points in 57 games in the OHL for Simon and 92 points in 72 games in the WHL for Wiemer, both as 18 year olds, despite the fact scoring was at an all time high those are still some great numbers) in junior and were top 2 round picks. To me Stortini does not have that offensive potential and it hurts his stock because it suggests he will never be more than a 3rd line grinder/enforcer, or 4th line enforcer. I really don't see him becoming a second line guy, his skating being the most limiting factor, but I also am not convinced he has the nose for the net or passing ability to contribute on a second line. That said, he seems to have the intangibles necessary to make it and we should see him in the NHL. It's just a question of upside.

I went to the Flames VS Oilers rookie game, and he was all over the ice, crashing and banging, but more importantly, causing a havoc in the crease, and eventually getting a tip-in goal from a Shremp point shot. He reminds me of a less talented Ryan Smyth, with a bit more size. His high-end potential would be border-line 2nd liner, or an excellent Moreau-style 3rd liner.

Booyah!

Sep 5, 2004
s7ark said:
In the manner of a Simon? Or who else would he be compaired to?

Yes, not like a Shananhan but more of a Brashear, Simon type. He's not going to be just a Parket type who's there solely for his fists, he can be an effective contributor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad