Speculation: Zack Smith

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Bruce Garrioch has said Dorion has received a number of calls on Smith. Where do you think he goes? What is his worth? He’s having an off year and missed some time with injuries, but he had 16 goals last year and has playoff experience. Best used on a third line at LW, but is a natural centre. Kills penalties, has some grit, will drop the gloves when he has too.

He has three more years on his deal at a 3.25 million dollar cap hit.

I think Ottawa would want picks or prospects in return.

For some reason I see him going to Calgary.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
He's having an off year, for sure, but still producing at a 30 pt pace. On pace for only 8 goals but he's also shooting at exactly half of his career shooting percentage.

I'd say he is a pretty reliable ~12 goal, 25 point player at the very least, with the ability to hit ~20 goals and 35 points. He is usually good for about 2 hits per game, is consistently a 51-52% faceoff man, and is apparently one of the most well-liked players in the organization. That part is gravy but people should know that if you get Smith, you're adding a good fella to the organization.

One knock on Smith is that he's rarely the most effective player on his line. When I hear of teams who want someone to anchor their 3rd line, I don't necessarily know if Smith will give them what they want. I also think that he is more valuable to a team who doesn't necessarily need him to play at center. I look at the Oilers, a team with three top centers (one of which often plays wing, though) and I see a perfect fit. He'd be a good fit on the wing of any of their centermen but could also step in to play center, win faceoffs, take on tough assignments in a pinch. No clue if the Oilers are looking to add at this point but I can see Smith meshing well with at least one of their centermen (possibly providing faceoff help before shifting over to the wing).

That said, I'd be looking for a late first or a 2nd and a B-level prospect in return for Smith.

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
Yeah doubt flames are interested albeit the rumors. Cant imagine that BT wants to make our forth line more expensive than it already is(Stajan,Brouwer(when no one is injured) and Lazar). Good player but fit wont exactly be there.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Trade him for whatever, he hasn't played well since he signed his contract. He's had one good season by chance. I can see him being a good 3rd liner elsewhere.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
In my dreams he gets a late 1st from a playoff team because he's a gritty leader who now has the "former 25 goal scorer" tag on him.

I like Smith, but the Senators are going to have some salary constraints. Maybe I go back and fourth with whether I'd want him to trade them, but when I look at how much salary the Senators have to clear to get under 68M and sign Stone, if we can get something reasonably good for Smith who is having a bad season, by all means, pull the trigger.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Nelson for Smith?

I don't think Ottawa goes in that direction. If they are moving Smith, I think it'll be a futures oriented deal to clear cash and gain assets. If an NHLer is coming back as part of the deal, it'd have to be a cheap role player.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I'd love to see him in Pittsburgh as a middle 6 LW. Not sure how exactly we have room for him cap wise (although moving Cole/Hunwick would likely be enough), or what sort of assets Ottawa would want for him - but if it's a 2nd like some have suggested, I'd find a way to make it happen.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I don't think Ottawa goes in that direction. If they are moving Smith, I think it'll be a futures oriented deal to clear cash and gain assets. If an NHLer is coming back as part of the deal, it'd have to be a cheap role player.

I’d take a 2nd for Smith. Dump some salary, open up a roster spot for a young guy and get a pick. Ottawa needs to get some picks after trading away a bunch in recent years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad