Zack Smith on waivers (clears,resumes role as 2C)

Status
Not open for further replies.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Smith's interview where he sounds shocked about being waived kinda shows how comfortable guys are on this team even when he has fallen off the last couple of years.

"Couple of years"?

You mean one year. He was one of our better forwards in the playoffs against the Pens 15 months ago.

Reactions: garce

Marnie

Jul 28, 2018
I can actually get behind this theory.

There's an article in the athletic where there's a quote from one of the players saying "We're moving from a dictatorship to a democracy":
Zack Smith goes from waivers back into Senators' lineup and...

It sounds like the players, coach, and possibly Dorion are pushing back. I believe there's a bigger rift between Dorion and Melnyk than there is between Dorion and the players (Turris implied this). Either way, it sounds like we have a borderline mutiny on our hands, and it's a good thing, or at least better than the players just taking it.
I actually assumed they were referring to Karlsson...

Reactions: gab6511

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
Is it just me or is there a communication problem with this team? Does the gm and coach not have regular conversations with the players? If what GMPD said is true and Smith was waived for past performance issues then I find his method of dealing with it questionable. As a supervisor, whenever I have personnel issues, I take the matter up with the employee and clarify what is expected, what can logically be achieved, and what the repercussions are if progress isn’t achieved. I wouldn’t demote a person out of the blue only to reinstate him the next day. That is a guaranteed way to fracture the workplace. This should have been handled better!

Reactions: The Lewler

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Is it just me or is there a communication problem with this team? Does the gm and coach not have regular conversations with the players? If what GMPD said is true and Smith was waived for past performance issues then I find his method of dealing with it questionable. As a supervisor, whenever I have personnel issues, I take the matter up with the employee and clarify what is expected, what can logically be achieved, and what the repercussions are if progress isn’t achieved. I wouldn’t demote a person out of the blue only to reinstate him the next day. That is a guaranteed way to fracture the workplace. This should have been handled better!
There is every kind of problem with this team.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Smith hasn't been good since January of 2017.

Here's hoping he can play well this year.
Smith had a run of form between Feb 2016 and January 2017 has been worse than useless since and before Feb 2016 he was barely NHL quality from 2012 onwards. But we're basically valuing ~50 games over 100s. I won't be surprised if he doesn't score 25 goals over the entire length of his contract. He's getting even slower.

alfstheman

Jul 2, 2009
I believe there's a bigger rift between Dorion and Melnyk than there is between Dorion and the players (Turris implied this).

When did Turris imply there was a rift between Dorion and Melnyk?

I thought it was more implied that Dorion wasnt making the calls and was essentially Melnyk's lapdog?

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
So Karlsson was the dictator now???

"As far as the “dictatorship” quote goes, here's what I took from it: it wasn't said in a malicious way which doesn't come across in the printed word. Karlsson was a big personality and in his role as captain made decisions on behalf of the team. What I took from the comment was the Senators are not going to have a captain now and the leadership, as some players have said, was going to be more by committee. That's it. Hope to see you Friday."

That was Chris Stevenson's clarification in the comments section of his article on the Athletic.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
When did Turris imply there was a rift between Dorion and Melnyk?

I thought it was more implied that Dorion wasnt making the calls and was essentially Melnyk's lapdog?

To me that means a rift. If the GM and owner want two separate things, and they're so far apart from each other that it's obvious to the players, I'd call that a rift. Sometimes (most of the time), Melnyk wins, but sometimes, we can see where Dorion wins, such as not including Ryan in the Karlsson trade.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
He essentially said management wanted to sign him but ownership didn't.

Exactly. If Turris considers Melnyk and Dorion as separate actors, there's obviously a rift. From a player's perspective, he should be negotiating against a united front. He made it sound like Dorion and Turris were negotiating together against Melnyk.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
This is strictly a money move but let’s not act like Smith is a good player.

That's fair but let's also not act like he's not one of our 12 best forwards. I would take him over Pyatt, McCormick easily.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Does Dorion ever look stupid now.

Why not just send a message to all GMs and be like "If I waive Zack Smith will one of you pick him up?".

Would've avoided all this drama knowing the situation of the franchise.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Does Dorion ever look stupid now.

Why not just send a message to all GMs and be like "If I waive Zack Smith will one of you pick him up?".

Would've avoided all this drama knowing the situation of the franchise.
He's always looked stupid.

I understand he is trying to make a cover story for what the real intention was but man was this ever a stupid thing to say

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad