Zack Smith - C or LW?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Obviously he is a team guy and wants to play.

I hope he gets in game shape fairly quickly and can replace Legwand, as I would like to see how the team looks with Zibby, Turris, Pageau and Smith at center.

Legger was unreal again last night I seriously cannot believe people want to change the forwards right now. Especially for a player that mailed it in and hasn't bent his knees for 2 years.I wish I had voted 'other' ie press box.

He can't play LW that's for sure he drifts into the middle of the ice and leaves his point open all the time.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
Legger was unreal again last night I seriously cannot believe people want to change the forwards right now. Especially for a player that mailed it in and hasn't bent his knees for 2 years.

I'm with you here. Zach Smith is a shell of his former self.

He's not a pest. He doesn't create offense. He is passable defensively. His FO% is worse than Legwand's.

He used to have an impact on games. I guess he could bounce back, but I'd wait until training camp next season to find out.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Both Pageau and Lazar are better centres then Smith. At virtually every aspect of the position. No need for Smith at wing either. Legwand is a lot better then Smith. Lazar will eventually be a centre next year or soon.

No room for Smith. We need to trade him in the offseason. If he can't be traded we should buy him out.

Legwand isn't better than Smith IMO, he is slow and other than pass the puck to Karlsson on the PP, contributes very little 5 on 5.

If you disagree with this, please explain why Legwand is on the 4th line, when he was signed as top six insurance in the case Zibanejad or Turris faltered.

Other factors that should be considered, Legwand will be 35 next year on an expiring contract, will make $3.5M as a fourth line player. He definitely isn't going to be any better next season, likely decline a little further.

I understand why BM signed Legwand, but the need for him in Ottawa just doesn't exist now with the play of Zibanejad, Turris and JGP.

So IMO Smith is the logical choice, younger, faster, cheaper, brings a physical element and without a doubt likely out produces Legwand 5v5, specially with wingers like Puempel and Chaisson, instead of Neil and Greening.

Smith also has two more years before UFA and potentially Nick Paul is ready to step in by then.

PS I don't want Smith playing LW, he is a center and the LW experiment failed.

Last edited:

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
I'm with you here. Zach Smith is a shell of his former self.

He's not a pest. He doesn't create offense. He is passable defensively. His FO% is worse than Legwand's.

He used to have an impact on games. I guess he could bounce back, but I'd wait until training camp next season to find out.

Overall the team was playing .500 hockey until the recent streak and every player took turns looking like a shell of their former selves or were declared busts on this board.

Cameron's approach, ongoing development of the youth and the unexpected success of Hammond turned things around dramatically.

Smith hasn't had the opportunity to play in this new environment.

The team has a lot of games until the end of the season, inserting Smith on the 4th line against a weaker opponent is really minimal risk and has the upside of giving a 33 year old player a rest.

I think the Sens will be smart about any roster changes, though I wasn't too keen on the Gryba for Cowen move.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
smith deserves a second look. Hes relatively cheap, theres a skill set there and he has played well in the past. he didnt feel he had a defined role under maclean. maybe he can find one under cameron.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
He deserves a second look but not until we falter or maybe even next year imo. No way they should do the swap now with the way things have been rolling and with how well Legwand has been playing.

Othello*

Good job Smith, I'd welcome you back with open arms if you play like you did in 2012

The Jangle Meister*

Hoffman-Zibanejad-Ryan
Macarthur-Turris-Stone
Condra-Pageau-Lazar
Michalek-Smith-Chiasson

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
So browsing hockeydb and I realized Zack Smith has played more seasons for the Senators (8) than:

Hossa
Volchenkov
Michalek
Kelly
Vermette
Havlat

and others that are somewhat surprising. Those are the ones I found most surprising though.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Credit where credit is due. I was pissed at Smith last year, but he's been contributing a lot lately.

5 goals is tremendous production from a 4th line center in the NHL and he's a positive player. Some teams would kill for that type of production.

If he keeps this up he will have a career year.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Love Smith. Does what he has to do and that's all I ask for.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Credit where credit is due. I was pissed at Smith last year, but he's been contributing a lot lately.

5 goals is tremendous production from a 4th line center in the NHL and he's a positive player. Some teams would kill for that type of production.

If he keeps this up he will have a career year.

Yup. And not just Smith. It is Neil and Chiasson too. 3 guys criticized last year, playing very well and not making the mistakes or bad penalties as in the past.

I can't believe how dynamic offensively Smith has been at times. He really has some good moves and actually scores some goals.

He totally needs to be the C. So much better there. I thought Lazar would end up taking his 4C spot in the offseason. I expected Smith to play like he did the last couple of years. Tentative, taking too many penalties, not knowing if he should be agressive physically, or offensively. And ending up doing neither. I think he has it all figured out now. Is fully confident, is a little less physical (good because changing NHL times and less bad penalties). He is rather creative offensively for his role.

I think this is a polished Smith. His best season thus far. He is playing like we thought he would, could and should a few years ago.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Yup. And not just Smith. It is Neil and Chiasson too. 3 guys criticized last year, playing very well and not making the mistakes or bad penalties as in the past.

I can't believe how dynamic offensively Smith has been at times. He really has some good moves and actually scores some goals.

He totally needs to be the C. So much better there. I thought Lazar would end up taking his 4C spot in the offseason. I expected Smith to play like he did the last couple of years. Tentative, taking too many penalties, not knowing if he should be agressive physically, or offensively. And ending up doing neither. I think he has it all figured out now. Is fully confident, is a little less physical (good because changing NHL times and less bad penalties). He is rather creative offensively for his role.

I think this is a polished Smith. His best season thus far. He is playing like we thought he would, could and should a few years ago.
hes playing amazing, which is funny because I hate him. I wil even give credit to Neil. He looks faster this year, more nimble. But no, not chiasson. chiasson is a whole other level of average

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad