Zack Kassian's Headshot on Matt Kennedy - SUSPENDED 20 GAMES

Danglefish

Oct 26, 2006
Big suspension, that was horrible...bad enough going to kill a guy on a suicide play when he doesn't even have the puck, but when you're as big as Kassian is and you jump a foot in the air JUST so you can get up and crank a guy's head, thats just not right. Should be suspended for the rest of the season for sure.

Mergus merganser

Oct 23, 2006
I'm not saying it was a clean hit, because obviously he left his feet and had no intention of playing the puck, but at full speed I think it would be pretty easy for a player to think Kennedy had played the puck. Instead kassian's teammate had touched the puck and Kassian still unloaded on Kennedy. Definitely worth a suspension.

BTW, what a fight afterwards! Holy crap did Kassian destroy that guy!

Last edited:

Mach 9*

5 games easy, I'm thinking on the longer side of 10-20.

He pretty much came full speed and jumped into him.

OneBuffalo3

Jan 11, 2010
B-Lo
He should learn real quick that theres no room for that in the NHL. I'm rooting for the guy because I'm a Sabres fan but thats not how we play. I hope the guy who got hit is ok.

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002
This would be Kassian's 3rd suspension because of a hit, the two prior suspensions were both 5 games, so I wouldn't be surprised to see this one around 10 or so games based on that.

goooal

May 3, 2009
Buffalo
Ouch. Looked to me like Kassian definitely could at the very least slowed up if not changed direction entirely. Suspension worthy methinks, won't comment how many games cause I'm not very familiar with Major Junior...

QuarterChicken

Jun 22, 2009
There was WAY more intent to injure on this one than the Liambas hit. If Kassian only gets 5-10 games for this then Branch needs his head checked out.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Whether it's moral or not, that video will make every scout drool.

You couldn't be more out to lunch on that statement. Scouts look for clean, effective, and punishing hits. They don't look for trash like this to prove anything. If all it took to impress scouts was going out there and destroying somebody outside the framework of the rules, then you'd see this kind of thing happen a lot more. If a player gets caught with his head down and the puck in his feet, fair game. If a player never touches the puck and a guy comes full bore at him and rips him apart, that's not even hockey. What scout would enjoy that? Scouts look for players that think the game as well as they are physically blessed, and that includes clean checks at the right time on players who are eligible to be hit.

Kassian is going to learn that on a winning hockey club with Memorial Cup aspirations, there is no room for individualistic plays like this one. Not only does your team have to kill off a major penalty, but they lose you for an extended period of time by way of suspension. It could decide games. This Windsor team is one of the best in CHL history, IMO, and they can't afford to have that blown by a guy out there head hunting and putting them in a hole.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad