Zack Kassian

lightning_legwand*

Leading up to this draft I have been hoping the predators will be able to select either Glennie, Kadri, or Kulikov at #11, but now I am thinking Kassian is the guy I want us to get. I feel his stock is very under rated for some reason, why is this??
He has GREAT size, he can skate well and has good vision, puck skills and can hit like anybody else that his size can.

I see him as a future big game player!

Any chance of him going in the top ten???

Qvist

Apr 14, 2009
First time I've seen vision, puck skills and skating mentioned as reasons to draft Zach Kassian. Even positive assessments is basically along the lines of skating not being a problem, and skills-wise optimists believe he may have the potential to generate some offense down low. And even the optimists are so-so on his hockey sense. Pessimists like myself are translating what they're reading as "Brad May".

cheers

OMGaudreau

Jun 19, 2006
Leading up to this draft I have been hoping the predators will be able to select either Glennie, Kadri, or Kulikov at #11, but now I am thinking Kassian is the guy I want us to get. I feel his stock is very under rated for some reason, why is this??
He has GREAT size, he can skate well and has good vision, puck skills and can hit like anybody else that his size can.

I personally think the Leafs and Oilers both have interest in this kid, so definitely a possibility going in the top 10.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Burke would have to acquire another pick to get Kassian, so if you Oilers want him, he's all yours :)

massivegoonery

Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
First time I've seen vision, puck skills and skating mentioned as reasons to draft Zach Kassian. Even positive assessments is basically along the lines of skating not being a problem, and skills-wise optimists believe he may have the potential to generate some offense down low. And even the optimists are so-so on his hockey sense. Pessimists like myself are translating what they're reading as "Brad May".

cheers

Agreed. Wouldn't touch him in the first round.

milkshow

Jun 14, 2009
I loved this guy at the beginning of the year when nobody was talking about him and I thought he'd move up into the top 15. Now that he looks to be a top 15 pick, I'm not quite sure if he can be a top 6 guy.

coachwithoutahead

Nov 21, 2008
For whatever reasons, Kassian's offensive skills have been overlooked by most of the fans on these boards. In my opinion, he's probably the best right-handed, play-making power forward in this draft. He seems to enjoy the grittiest areas of the game while also showing the ability to make crisp cross-crease passes from most spots in the attacking zone, especially down the right half boards. He's not spectacularly fast, but because of his good sense for body positioning at high speeds, he has had some success moving the puck through the neutral zone in the past. Whether he's coming in on the rush or setting up in the attacking zone, he is very good at understanding where he needs to be with and without the puck to make a big play happen. As a result, in addition to his play-making skills, he is also a decent finisher. His skating technique does not appear to be all that developed, but he scored well in some agility/explosiveness tests at the combine, so there is certainly hope that his skating could improve quite a bit with the proper training.

It will be interesting to see where he pans out at the pro level. Because he plays a tough, weighty game, he could play in an energy role as early as next season. If I were to guess, i would say that his potential is somewhere between Todd Bertuzzi and Milan Lucic, leaning more towards Bertuzzi c. 2000-2006.

I could see him taking a couple years to develop, but when he hits his prime, he could be a very special player. Any team that needs toughness, size, play-making or even right-handedness outside of the top-10 this year would be crazy not to pick him.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

cheers

So are you taking into account how May played prior to breaking himself up injury-wise? He was a 40-point guy a couple times but the injuries took away his speed, his dollop of quickness and even his fighting ability. Comparing him to May as a junior is actually a good thing.

gare joyce

Sep 7, 2007

I can see him going at 10. Top 15 is bankable. Not aesthetically pleasing, not a great skater, but no one out there in this draft has what he has. Maybe Kyle Beach sans baggage.

gare joyce

Sep 7, 2007
Scouts I know asked those who played on the Ontario 17s and Canadin 18s to name three team-mates they'd want to have on their sides ... all said Kassian.

Qvist

Apr 14, 2009
So are you taking into account how May played prior to breaking himself up injury-wise? He was a 40-point guy a couple times but the injuries took away his speed, his dollop of quickness and even his fighting ability. Comparing him to May as a junior is actually a good thing.

A 40-point-guy, yes. That's not what I associate with a player you draft because of vision and puck skills. Or with a player that belongs anywhere in the top 15.

cheers

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
So I'm the only one who thinks he could be Ryan Smyth like?

I don't know if you're the only one, but Kassian is not that kind of player.

Kassian is more physical. He throws checks and will fight. He probably is as skilled as Smyth, but he will need to work hard and be consistent to be as productive. Ryan Smyth squeezed every possible ounce of productivity out of his talent because he worked like a terrier fighting for a bone. Smyth scored a lot of garbage goals and Kassian will too, but Kassian has a harder shot than Smyth did.

It's not his offensive skill alone that will get him drafted high, it's the fact that he combines skill and muscle. Don't underrate his offensive skills because of this, though, and woe the player who skates with his head down while Kassian is on the ice or underestimates Kassian's pugilistic skills.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Lucic and Bertuzzi have been the guys used to describe Kassian, but could we be seeing another Bob Probert on our hands?

I think in any era, an in-your-prime Probert is a top-5 worthy selection. You look for guys that can make an impact. I am not sure Kassian is such a high-risk pick if he's able to make said impact even if he isn't playing top-six forward minutes.

And if he does, look out.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
A 40-point-guy, yes. That's not what I associate with a player you draft because of vision and puck skills. Or with a player that belongs anywhere in the top 15.

cheers

It's more than the points with guys like that though -- it always has been and it always will be. It's the combination of having enough ability to play with a team's top line and regulate/initiate physically.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Lucic and Bertuzzi have been the guys used to describe Kassian, but could we be seeing another Bob Probert on our hands?

I think in any era, an in-your-prime Probert is a top-5 worthy selection. You look for guys that can make an impact. I am not sure Kassian is such a high-risk pick if he's able to make said impact even if he isn't playing top-six forward minutes.

And if he does, look out.

I've heard the Lucic and Bertuzzi comparisons.

Probert's name is the one what came up when I spoke to the Peterborough Petes GM about Kassian.

MitchRobichaud

Jun 6, 2007
Halifax
www.hockeysense.ca
I'm one of the Kassian fans. In the games i've watched him play his skating has looked even close to as bad as described on these boards. He's a big strong kid who loves to throw his body around, sticks up for his teammates and shows good hands around the net. His passing skills are also very underrated around here IMO. I've said it before, I see him as a definate NHL player, at the very least a 3rd line player who really gets the fans into it. If he keeps working hard and developping, I see him possibly turning into a Brendan Morrow type of player (leads by example) with a bigger frame and a meaner demeaner to his game.

As a Leafs fan, i wouldn't pick him 7th.. but i wouldn't be opposed to them trading down and trying to grab him (or Glennie) if the deal is right.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I think Kassian is a "safe" pick. I don't see much bust potential because, at minimum, he's going to provide things most NHL teams need: energy, hitting, fighting. And he's certainly not incompetent offensively. At worst, he's probably a third-line checking forward who chips in 10+ goals, drops the gloves and takes 160 PIM's per year. Best case, he does all those things and scores 20+ goals and 50 pts. But I don't see him as an all-or-nothing type pick like some others in the top 20.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
I think Kassian is a "safe" pick. I don't see much bust potential because, at minimum, he's going to provide things most NHL teams need: energy, hitting, fighting. And he's certainly not incompetent offensively. At worst, he's probably a third-line checking forward who chips in 10+ goals, drops the gloves and takes 160 PIM's per year. Best case, he does all those things and scores 20+ goals and 50 pts. But I don't see him as an all-or-nothing type pick like some others in the top 20.

You're describing Jordin Tootoo, if Kassian doesn't pan out, though. If we had picked Tootoo in the first round, I would consider that to be a HUGE bust.

Mustafa*

Kassian is a toping to a team that is already a competitor, the Leafs should be seeking a #1 center.

taunting canadian

Jan 3, 2005
I don't know if you're the only one, but Kassian is not that kind of player.

Kassian is more physical. He throws checks and will fight. He probably is as skilled as Smyth, but he will need to work hard and be consistent to be as productive. Ryan Smyth squeezed every possible ounce of productivity out of his talent because he worked like a terrier fighting for a bone. Smyth scored a lot of garbage goals and Kassian will too, but Kassian has a harder shot than Smyth did.

It's not his offensive skill alone that will get him drafted high, it's the fact that he combines skill and muscle. Don't underrate his offensive skills because of this, though, and woe the player who skates with his head down while Kassian is on the ice or underestimates Kassian's pugilistic skills.

So what is Kassian's work ethic like, both on and off the ice. Also, how is his balance? How is his hand-eye as far as tipping shots etc.? I'd say those are the things that allowed Smyth to become so good at what he does. To duplicate Smyth's offensive "style", a guy will need to be absolutely tenacious on the ice, will need to have quick hands to tip pucks and be quick on rebounds, and will need to have good balance, because even big guys can be knocked down if their balance is poor.

BIG BLUE

Apr 4, 2009
Toronto
I look at it as high risk high reward.

if you grab him top 15...and he scores 25G+ or 60 pts+, then your gamble pays off.

if he becomes a 3rd line gritty player who scores 15, then you were better off with some of the more offensively talented guys who were on the board...IMO.

I'm not sure which one he becomes

leafmon

Nov 13, 2006
I look at it as high risk high reward.

if you grab him top 15...and he scores 25G+ or 60 pts+, then your gamble pays off.

if he becomes a 3rd line gritty player who scores 15, then you were better off with some of the more offensively talented guys who were on the board...IMO.

I'm not sure which one he becomes

If those more offensively talented guys who were on the board pan out.
Kassian is just about as strong a 17 year old as I've seen in the O in a long time. The skating is overblown and he actually moves good for power forward and that's comparing him to a lot of guys who have made it the last 20 years. He is not a vision guy but his production for a 17 year old is good. Combine all this with his will to compete and a nasty edge and I think he is safe because his game will translate easily to the next level.
I won't be shocked if he is picked higher then ranked and he isn't nearly the boom bust risk like Ellis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad