Zack Kassian takes out Jake Allen, STL challenges, no goaltender interference

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
1. He didn’t leave the crease. He was at the edge of the crease trying to make a save when he got hit.
2. Despite what you wish was true, the goalies are not “fair game” ever, and haven’t been for at least 30 years.

I agree with you on number 2, but not on number 1. Contact took place outside of the crease. I’m not a fan of plays like this, and I’d consider it an “accidentally on purpose” play, but I’m also fine with the NHL letting it go here. Within reason.

Like you said, a goaltender is never fair game, but that doesn’t mean he can expect to move freely anywhere on the ice and expect the same level of protection in the crease. This one is a bit borderline for me, because I do think more of an attempt could have been made to avoid contact but it’s also not as if he was outright checked, or dragged to the ice and pinned.

Just my take. I probably would have been okay if they called it back too. I see this as a play that is easy to see, and justify, either decision.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
and I’m not suggesting any penalty should have been called in review either. I’m suggesting that the refs open their eyes and see it in real time and not bone an important call in every single game. It’s not THAT hard.
It would have been a very soft penalty call because the defender unbalanced him at the last moment. It was probably the right decision to not call a penalty, and that makes it a good goal.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Really? Because here it is less than a second before contact, Allen has a foot in the crease as his arm is about to get hit by Kassian in the crease interfering with the goalies ability to move within it:

View attachment 295993

Every goalie is told to play at the top of the crease.

You’re wrong and you cherry-picked an image to make your point. What this doesn’t show is Allen’s momentum carrying him away from the goal and that Kassian just tipped the puck. Kassian never interferes. Allen proceeds to swing his body clockwise to get back to the net, making contact with Kassian who never veers from his lane.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
You’re wrong and you cherry-picked an image to make your point. What this doesn’t show is Allen’s momentum carrying him away from the goal and that Kassian just tipped the puck. Kassian never interferes. Allen proceeds to swing his body clockwise to get back to the net, making contact with Kassian who never veers from his lane.

Is his hand in the crease yes or no? Is it being interfered with? Yes or no.

And it's a clear yes on both accounts. That is goaltender interference.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Is his hand in the crease yes or no? Is it being interfered with? Yes or no.

And it's a clear yes on both accounts. That is goaltender interference.

No and no. Watch the clip. Your screenshot isn’t even of the shot that scored. Your screenshot is from after Kassian tips the puck and well before the goal is scored. Watch the second angle.

Reactions: snipes and Beerad

Hatrix

Oct 7, 2017
I don’t need a measuring tape. I’m not old and decrepit and can see it in real time. Was obvious the first time I saw it, still obvious now.

Whining about frivolous irrelevant factors that make no difference on the play itself means you don't hold a valid argument. It has nothing to do with my age although based on such a comment you are clearly a millennial which in itself nullifies your point based on lack of experience.

Hatrix

Oct 7, 2017
He’s actually not fair game, and it’s completely ridiculous you turned this into some anti-millennial nonsense.

It's ridiculous that those that have only watched the game in the modern era feel they are in a position to be commenting when every single physical play in hockey today turns into a 20 page debate where millennials think the NHL should be turned into a ringette league.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
It's ridiculous that those that have only watched the game in the modern era feel they are in a position to be commenting when every single physical play in hockey today turns into a 20 page debate where millennials think the NHL should be turned into a ringette league.

Look man, this is a hockey forum. It's not a venue for you to bitch and whine about what you feel about a certain generation of individuals, and take shots at them. Why not do people a favor and keep it hockey related in the hockey portion of this forum.

You should have no problem making your same points without the derogatory nonsense.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Allen was far out of the crease therefore Kassian owned that ice. Good call but refs do need to work on consistency!
This. Simply this. I saw the Vancouver goalie barely get touched a few days before and get the goal removed. Then this. It’s just so random. I’m obviously not the first to say this but it bears repeating...over and over...it’s not a huge ask and kind of important for the league’s integrity.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
This. Simply this. I saw the Vancouver goalie barely get touched a few days before and get the goal removed. Then this. It’s just so random. I’m obviously not the first to say this but it bears repeating...over and over...it’s not a huge ask and kind of important for the league’s integrity.

Agreed. The consistency is pretty garbage, and you'd really feel like video review would improve consistency. It actually feels like it's only emphasized how inconsistent these calls have become.

Reactions: egelband

Hatrix

Oct 7, 2017
Look man, this is a hockey forum. It's not a venue for you to ***** and whine about what you feel about a certain generation of individuals, and take shots at them. Why not do people a favor and keep it hockey related in the hockey portion of this forum.

You should have no problem making your same points without the derogatory nonsense.

The piss poor state of the modern hockey fan is 100% hockey related. Just because you don't like hearing the reality of the situation doesn't make it off topic. You are further proving my point by continuing to whine about this.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
The piss poor state of the modern hockey fan is 100% hockey related. Just because you don't like hearing the reality of the situation doesn't make it off topic. You are further proving my point by continuing to whine about this.

I don't think asking you to act like a mature adult is whining, but okay.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Agreed. The consistency is pretty garbage, and you'd really feel like video review would improve consistency. It actually feels like it's only emphasized how inconsistent these calls have become.
Every time one of these “typical” plays happens the league should make a decision and book it. So there’s a precedent for “Goalie roams too far and gets blocked from getting back into the play” or “Goalie gets tickled mercilessly “ or whatever. That way they could start to standardize this stuff. Even if they have to go back and change a precedent, at least the refs and players (and fans) have some reasonable expectation.

Reactions: Sojourn

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Every time one of these “typical” plays happens the league should make a decision and book it. So there’s a precedent for “Goalie roams too far and gets blocked from getting back into the play” or “Goalie gets tickled mercilessly “ or whatever. That way they could start to standardize this stuff. Even if they have to go back and change a precedent, at least the refs and players (and fans) have some reasonable expectation.

As opposed to the current "I have no idea what the call will be. Let's wait and be surprised."

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
I can’t believe this thread is still going. The refs made the right call. He was in a great spot to see it all live and the war room supported what he saw.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
He has the right to go through there if not impeding the goaloe and he touched him outside of it.

Not really but the goalie union does think there is a protective bubble around every goalie and even if they wander outside of their crease (which is 100% the case here) every other player should stay 10 feet away from them right?

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
The goaltender interference challenge should be removed because the refs and the nhl have no idea how to call it and there's 0 consistency.

This was not goaltender interference:

This was goaltender interference despite Lehkonen being pushed into the goalie and trying his best not to make contact

Last edited:

Hatrix

Oct 7, 2017
I don't think asking you to act like a mature adult is whining, but okay.

And I don't think that it serves any purpose that a play be placed under a microscope and indefinitely debated to death when it's literally a matter of centimeters, but okay.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Is his hand in the crease yes or no?
Whose hand? If you mean Allen, you are wrong. Having part of their body still in the crease means nothing if the contact occurs outside the crease. The crease is a restriction on the offensive player, if the offensive player complies with that restriction (Doesn't contact the goaltender in the crease) then there is no call to make. If the goaltender wants to receive the full protection of the crease affords they need to keep their entire body in the crease.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
ITT people complaining about referee consistency

Also ITT people can't agree about this particular play despite having way longer to think about it than the refs

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Really? Because here it is less than a second before contact, Allen has a foot in the crease as his arm is about to get hit by Kassian in the crease interfering with the goalies ability to move within it:

View attachment 295993

Every goalie is told to play at the top of the crease.

Why are you using a still shot from the front to try to guess what's going to happen when there's a clear video from the back that actually shows what happens?

Watch that video. You can very obviously see that it's Parayko's stick that makes contact with Allen near the crease.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Nice forecheck by Kassian against Parayko

Also when you venture that far from your crease, im fine with this standing.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
It's like people think skating has a break pedal. A force in motion will stay in motion. This goes for a lot of hits people complain about also.

Uhhhh, skating does have a brake pedal. How do you think players stop?

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
IMO the appearance of inconsistence is created because people just look at how much contact instead of where the contact occurs, what disruption it creates for the goaltender and what role the defender played.

If an offensive player goes in to the crease and makes revivify minor contact with the butt end of the goaltenders stick it can cause them to lose control of their stick and create balance issues and allow a puck to go though the holes this opens up. The goal in cases like will usually be called back. In other cases people see the goaltender knocked down by a skater who never enters the crease, but the goaltender has both his feet inside the crease but is leaning forward so part of their upper body isn’t in the crease. In cases like this the goal is usually allowed.

This used to be really consistent, but it’s become less so as the NHL seems to be trying to figure out which calls will get people upset and forestall the reaction. It still usually works this way more often then not though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad