Zack Kassian - doing better for now

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Bergevin could have buried him in St J. Instead he took on Scrivens so Zack could do a conditioning stint where he'd been rehabbing.

Bergevin traded a player that had just past through waivers for a goalie when his team desperately needed better goaltending. Let's not pretend this was done solely for Kassian's benefit.

Lepain

Jul 15, 2014
Good for him. Montreal should have held on to him, but why put faith in someone you need.

Instead, put love into a mental midget because he's from the providence.

I think when trades happen, people have to understand it goes beyond player value VS player value. Of course value is into play, but there are other factors GMs consider.

In Montréal, it is well known that the franchise image is very important. Kassian was warned when he arrived that there wouldn't be a second chance. He had to grab his chance from the start, which he didn't.

What should the GM do? Tell himself "hummm, Kassian has a power forward profile we need on the team, so screw the organization's values and screw what I told him when he arrived". What kind of message does that send to other players on the team? That the GM doesn't hold his ground if he needs you in any way or form. Very bad message to send to an organization.

Bergevin was honest from the start and held his word.

That kind of an attitude is what earns respect from other GM and players around the league. This can lead to players appreciating the values of the team and be willing to sign in Montréal at some point in their carreer.

Of course Bergevin was dealing from a position of weakness when he did and when you only look at player value VS player value, he didn't fare very well. That's obviously the best he could get at the moment he traded. But the respect he got from other GMs, other players, his own players, Kassian himself (for holding his word) will probably have positive impacts in the future that are impossible to measure.

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008
Pathetic post. I'm an alcoholic and it's a struggle. It's a daily battle. 95% of the population really don't understand.

I don't think he's pathetic for admiring someone who has had some measure of success with his addiction.

Although I agree that most don't understand, it's hard to expect them to as you pretty much have to live it to really know.

Anyways, I absolutely love what he brings to the team. Great energy and a team attitude are making a difference on an Oiler team that has been lacking both.

yoss

May 25, 2011
Love that guy. Our gm was insane to let him go for what we got back in return. Would love to have him back on this team but we all know that won't happen. :(

pretty much this.

Good to see him playing well and looks like having fun out there, hopefully he keeps working hard and stays focused. Well played Oilers for picking him up, im SO VERY HAPPY FOR YOU. Oh and CONGRATS ON MCDAVID also.

Please excuse my bitterness, seriously good to see him doing well, hope he keeps it up. B/t Mcjesus, Kass & McLellan I'm becoming a closet Oilers fan despite myself.

FazeLeaf*

I had substance abuse issues while in high school, I got help and now my life is back in order. I know how hard it is but for him to come back (and play in the NHL nonetheless) is astounding and is a true role model tp those who still suffer and he prives that anyone can comeback.

OnTheBrink

Apr 19, 2013
Airdrie
Pathetic post. I'm an alcoholic and it's a struggle. It's a daily battle. 95% of the population really don't understand.

Don't think you are being fair to the poster or are not understanding his post properly. Their is nothing pathetic about looking up to or being happy for someone who is currently on the winning side of his life long battle he will have with addiction.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Bergevin traded a player that had just past through waivers for a goalie when his team desperately needed better goaltending. Let's not pretend this was done solely for Kassian's benefit.

Scrivens had already cleared waivers and was on the EDM farm team, playing poorly. Chia doesn't use a contract slot on a high risk like Kassian appeared to be to those who dont follow him. If Bergevin doesn't take a contract slot back, the deal doesn't happen.

Of course it wasn't done solely for Kassian's benefit. That's why Bergevin required EDM to retain 24% to be cap neutral. But the point is he went out of his way to give Kassian a fresh start. There are other goalies out there better than Scrivens that were available.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Play aside, no reports of any personal issues in Edmonton. Thats biggest positive. Hockey is a vast second place to solve personal issues

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Cant ever cheer for him cuz i want him back on my team. Benning's worst mistake.

Trading away a guy with alcohol/substance abuse issues, who has come back with 7 points in 24 games...

I think you give Benning far too much credit if you think that is Benning's 'worst mistake'.

I hope Zack turns his life around...but his PPG with Edmonton is actually less than what it was during his stint with Vancouver.
While there's more to it than stat's, you make it sound like we are talking about Cam Neely.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
He's been ok considering the stuff he's gone through, I guess. Too inconsistent physically and offensively, though. It's a nice story, but I don't think he's in the league a few years from now.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
As much as I used to hate the guy, he's really become a fan favourite here because of his story and how he's done so far. There's no doubt he can be a very useful player and has the skills. We're all rooting for him.

thebigbea

Jun 14, 2011
He's been ok considering the stuff he's gone through, I guess. Too inconsistent physically and offensively, though. It's a nice story, but I don't think he's in the league a few years from now.

most vancouver fans still rather keep kassian and the pick than getting prust..

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
Trading away a guy with alcohol/substance abuse issues, who has come back with 7 points in 24 games...

I think you give Benning far too much credit if you think that is Benning's 'worst mistake'.

I hope Zack turns his life around...but his PPG with Edmonton is actually less than what it was during his stint with Vancouver.
While there's more to it than stat's, you make it sound like we are talking about Cam Neely.

yeah but hes playing 4th line minutes only. not top line minutes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad