Zack "KASSASSIN" Kassian Appreciation Thread

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Gave us his all. A casualty of the Cap, some Bad Luck, and yes his own Inconsistency. But this guy gave us so many great moments. 2016 beastly playoff run. Being the toughest motherf'er on the ice on many nights. The ragdoll of Turtlechuk. Proud that he was an Oiler. Never thought I'd become a big fan of the guy who smashed Gagner's jaw, but he earned the love and acceptance from this fanbase. I wish him all the best and wish things could have ended differently.

Now Let's take a trip down memory lane and appreciate some of Zack's best moments. There's some absolute classics in here and a lot more than you may remember:

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I'm a big fan of redemption and second chances. In Kassian's case he arrived with more baggage than a Khardassian with a final chance to salvage his life and career. We finally saw the elements of a faded first round pick come together in a scary package of size, skating and ill-humour. Kassian delivered functional toughness with a rare ability to move up and down the lineup. Reported to be a well loved teammate and good locker room guy. It's tough to keep the fire stoked to be a ready scrapper as a player gets older and this player became a father. Unfortunately we didn't see enough consistency the last couple of years.

Will remember some epic battles by Kassian, toothless grin and playoff lamb chops. Will get a new start with the security of a very good contract. Won't be surprised to see Kassian babysit a young Coyotes team and get moved at some point with salary retention to support a playoff bound team looking for size and functional toughness. A good Oiler and a good redemption story. Best of luck Kass!

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I was stoked when they traded Scrivens for him and had to convince family and friends that he was going to be a player. Always thought he would get his life and game back on track here. I’ll always remember and appreciate his dominance in the series against the Sharks, especially game 2 that I was present for. “Shark Weak”

All the best, Zack

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He did what he could this season and last. The try was there, the effort was there, and the hits were certainly there. Kass also answered bells including taking on fights even after he was out of concussion protocol. Sure his fine motor skills have left him and he can't pot or finish now. He probably has CTE to deal with in his life now. Glad that he got his life together. Hope he has some game left, just not against us.

He's got a lot of grand kids stories though playing with two of the best players in hockey and actually being able to ride side saddle with those guys. For sure any player would look back at that and smile. Few players ever get a chance like this.

Kass worked impeccably well with Drai in 2017 playoffs and at other times.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I'm not gonna lie, I'll miss him. I'm happy he turned his life around but his recent play didn't justify the salary cap hit.

vUUtvZe.gif

ccce69ab9a95.gif

AnyTemptingAfricanpiedkingfisher-max-1mb.gif

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
I’m going to miss this guy. Everyone loves a redemption story and this certainly was one. My absolute favourite moment of his was when OEL cheap shotted Hendricks so Kassian buried him then beyotch slapped Duclair and any other Yote that came near. Awesome! I Sincerely hope he has a good end to his career and a good life.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Ya that contract was a killer, it’s on Holland. There’s a few guys I would’ve dealt ahead of Kass to clear cap. Need some toughness on this team, Kane better be the priority now.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Been a passenger since 2017 playoff run outside of a handful of games. Shoulda been gone long ago.
Thanks for punching turtle boy Tkachuk. Other than that, won't be missed.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018
He was fine when he was playing for a contract and not good after he signed it. Every excuse was made for him but he just lost all his mojo. Probably because he didn't have to play for a contract anymore. I hate players like that.

Also, I will never forget that he asked for a trade out of here when it became obvious he wouldn't play top 6 Hahaha. What a joke.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Love Kass and what he brought. Sucks that his cap hit was so high. He was a fine bottom 6 guy and when he was on he could keep pace with McDavid. It's a shame it was always in spurts

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
There it is, one of my favorite players for the last half a decade gets traded.
I'm glad he turned his life around in Edmonton and was an important part of this team for quite some time, I'm sure he'll be missed in the locker room.
All the best in Arizona, I look forward to see him in a crazy going college barn wearing some dope looking kachina jersey.

kassianstaredown.gif

snag

Feb 22, 2014
There it is, one of my favorite players for the last half a decade gets traded.
I'm glad he turned his life around in Edmonton and was an important part of this team for quite some time, I'm sure he'll be missed in the locker room.
All the best in Arizona, I look forward to see him in a crazy going college barn wearing some dope looking kachina jersey.

View attachment 566330

Love how he wiped that smile from Hertl's face with nothing more than crazy eyes lol

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I appreciate Zak for giving us that great game against San Jose in the playoffs of 2017. Other than that...........not really finding much else.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I'm glad we gave Kassian his 2nd chance and he made the most of it. Never faulted him for that cap hit. No idea what Holland was thinking giving him that deal. Happy we've moved on and made more cap space and wish him well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad