Prospect Info: Zachary Lauzon | Left Defenseman | Rouyn-Noranda (QMJHL) | 2nd round, 51st overall

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Honest question, how much of a reach was it, really? They weren't taking a goalie, and I know at least 6 went in the 3rd. They likely weren't going for a winger either. So if you filter the list just by Dmen (and maybe centers if they were looking there), how many did he pass?

I guess I just use the much derided appeal to authority on this. They interviewed these guys and have watched them all extensively. I will comfortably say that they know more than me, so I will trust their judgement. They've hit on enough late picks for me to give them that.

By the consensus drafts and what not, I think he was projected to go in the 5th. Dunno how many dmen between him and that spot.

Not that I care all that much. Gotta trust the scouts here. Does feel like we take a lot of reachy picks in the 2nd for solid players that the rest of the world thinks don't have offensive upside though.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I love the doom and gloom people are with these kids having never seen them play.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
My only concern is his lack of offensive production. Even players who project to be "defense only" at the NHL level tend to put up decent junior numbers.

It was my same concern last year with the Conor Hall pick.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
My only concern is his lack of offensive production. Even players who project to be "defense only" at the NHL level tend to put up decent junior numbers.

It was my same concern last year with the Conor Hall pick.

At least his numbers are higher than Hall and higher than the season before. Not that either is a particularly high hurdle...

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
At least his numbers are higher than Hall and higher than the season before. Not that either is a particularly high hurdle...

This coming season will be telling for Lauzon. I believe some of the guys who got offensive/PP minutes are graduating, so Lauzon's going to be getting a bigger offensive role. Anything less than 40 points (or a 40 point pace) would be disappointing.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Sometimes a player can have a large increase in production in juniors after their draft year. Maybe Lauzon goes on a similiar path to Letang.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Sometimes a player can have a large increase in production in juniors after their draft year. Maybe Lauzon goes on a similiar path to Letang.

By all accounts, this guy is a defensive Dman who models his game after Vlasic, so I don't think it's realistic to project him as a Letang. it sounds like he's more in the mold of Ian Cole -- great skater, physical defense-first Dman.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
But I want more Letangs damnit! :laugh:

Just noticed he was in the Q's rookie team of the year. That's pretty cool since I'm guessing that usually goes to guys with the numbers.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
The last time they went this off the board they ended up with Goligoski. I really hate seeing them going off the board even if the player turns out well I feel they could have been selected in the next round.

That being said. This isnt the same Pens as ten years ago. If they target a player its for a reason.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
He seems like a good DFD, but he's a 4th round caliber prospect that the Penguins used the 2nd rounder that they got for trading their 1st rounder to take. Not a good pick.

Scouts are pretty good at clocking centers these days. D are totally unpredictable. You see guys who were ranked 100 going into their draft year in the all-star game all the time (not that I'm predicting that).

Guy like this, time will tell.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
The last time they went this off the board they ended up with Goligoski. I really hate seeing them going off the board even if the player turns out well I feel they could have been selected in the next round.

That being said. This isnt the same Pens as ten years ago. If they target a player its for a reason.

If these ISS rankings didn't exist, most people would probably be thrilled to have selected a denseman that won the defensive defenseman of the year award in the QMJHL, plays with some physicality, and has some offensive potential. It's too bad most people on here can't see past a number on a rankings list that usually proves to be completely wrong and worthless when it's all said and done.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
This is like a Shero draft redux.

Having observed the whole draft now, I must agree with your statement.

Goligoski 2.0

Well, on these boards ---- Goligoski 10.0

It's been a long time since we've had a Goganovski on this team. As long as he can skate like the wind amd make coach Sully proud one day, who can deny this was a good pick?

Dammit, Penguins. You were supposed to draft the guy whose name I learned 12 hours ago and spent a whole four minutes researching!

Haha. I feel that you may have the pulse of this board down pat.

Last edited:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I was under the impression that draft boards this year were very liquid, so taking someone with a lower grade, it was really 6 or a half dozen.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

word was Montreal was looking at him too though.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
By all accounts, this guy is a defensive Dman who models his game after Vlasic, so I don't think it's realistic to project him as a Letang. it sounds like he's more in the mold of Ian Cole -- great skater, physical defense-first Dman.

We need someone with some snarl anyways.

jfvachon

Sep 25, 2015
I'm from Rouyn-Noranda, so.

Zachary Lauzon was never on the power play. He's a great PK player. Great mobility and he's mean on the ice. Players just don't go vs him in 1v1 battle.

If the Huskies was in the top 3, he's one of the reason. J.Lauzon (Boston prospects) and P.Myers (Philly prospects) miss a lot of games (for Team Canada and injury). He was playing like 30 minutes by game in the beginning of the season. At some times, the defensive core was him and a overager, 2 rookies and 2 affiliate players.

For the next season, he'll have PP ice times. He'll be the best defenceman for the Huskies by far.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
How big can this kid get? 6'2-6'3? 200+?

Is this a serious question? Someone would need a crystal ball or be Nostradamus to be able to predict that.

It's probably less likely he will have a growth spurt since he's a late birthday. Not impossible, but less likely than a guy like Clayton Phillips who's one of the youngest players in the draft.

That being said, his R-N website has him listed at 6'1, and because he wasn't invited to the NHL combine, we don't have an updated height & weight for this player. We'll get that when he goes to Pittsburgh for the rookie camp, I assume.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
And DOWN GOES DENIS! Well, not really but...

I like this pick. Unfortunately, you can't get away from how it was aquired. It was some of the most brutal use of asset management that I have seen from this group. Trading away our first round pick and Sunny to move back 20 spots only to use that to get a guy they possibly could have picked with a choice they already held is tough to take.

I like that we got Ryan Reaves. Greatly needed.
I really like this pick and have been watching some clips on this guy.
I just think that when you break it down like this it looks...well, not that great:

St. Louis gets:
Oskar Sundqvist
Klim Kostin

Pittsburgh gets:
Ryan Reaves (for one whole year before UFA..yippee)
Zachary Lauzon

Now a lot depend on how these guys pan out of course so time will certainly give us a greater picture.
And you may be wondering why I am rehashing this trade when it has it's own thread. That isn't what I am trying to do and is also kinda my point.
Unfortunately, while not a MAJOR factor in Pens history, this kid will now have this stigma possibly attached to him as he progresses through his Pens tenure. And that is obviously pretty unfair.

So taking out the surrounding noise and just looking at the kid as a prospect, he is my favorite pick the Pens made this year (other than Jan Drozg because, come on...that name rocks!)
This guy is just steady. His skating is silky smooth and fast. He is more about team and that rare guy who has a ton of talent and skating ability that has the mentality of preventing goals as his first, second and third priority and he develops those talents for and towards this goal (or, lack of a goal...get it? Lack of...never mind).

And dude has no issue dropping the gloves:

https://youtu.be/_QLwq4sbzlI

https://youtu.be/NqeS1Kbha6Q

maybe somebody can tell me how to correctly embed? The links work at least

Last edited:

ETA

Aug 8, 2008
I'm from Rouyn-Noranda, so.

Zachary Lauzon was never on the power play. He's a great PK player. Great mobility and he's mean on the ice. Players just don't go vs him in 1v1 battle.

If the Huskies was in the top 3, he's one of the reason. J.Lauzon (Boston prospects) and P.Myers (Philly prospects) miss a lot of games (for Team Canada and injury). He was playing like 30 minutes by game in the beginning of the season. At some times, the defensive core was him and a overager, 2 rookies and 2 affiliate players.

For the next season, he'll have PP ice times. He'll be the best defenceman for the Huskies by far.

Thanks for this -- will be fun to follow Lauzon this upcoming season!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad