Zach Parise has 33 goals in his last 59 games

Backhandbeauty

Dec 28, 2018
Well, that settles it. Clearly this was a great contract. Can't dispute it at this point. Those 59 games obviously prove he'll be a contributing asset for the next 6 (six) years remaining on his deal.
How long ago did he leave new Jersey? Let it goooooooooo.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Anyone care to speculate why Parise, in his 34yo season with MN, is about to have his best year in the state of hockey yet? I can understand why he didn’t put up these numbers during his 2 year back epedemic, but how come when he was 28-31 he wasn’t putting up 40 goal seasons and 80 points?

"my back has never felt this good since New Jersey".

I'd go on a limb here and say chronic back injury happened before he joined the Wild.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

P10p

May 15, 2012
Good for him. Just a hard working great player. Got where he is on his work ethic.

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
Anyone care to speculate why Parise, in his 34yo season with MN, is about to have his best year in the state of hockey yet? I can understand why he didn’t put up these numbers during his 2 year back epedemic, but how come when he was 28-31 he wasn’t putting up 40 goal seasons and 80 points?

Besides the health thing of course, scoring is up league-wide, and Parise is currently at what would be a career-high in shooting percentage. He's been on good lines all year and is on a hot run.

Russo's bitterness over the All-Star game would have meant a sympathy vote for Parise. He's not the Wild guy to go with the rules the way they are.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Scoring is up...way up, in the league, mainly due to obstruction and slashing being called far more often.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Different era. Even though it was a couple years ago. From the 4 full seasons after the last work stoppage from 13-14 to 16-17 seasons there were fewer than 20 skaters who finished the season with 70 points per season. Last year we saw a massive spike in 70 plus point guys.

To compare players today to what guys 5 years earlier were doing you kind of have to instead look at where they were in points relative to the rest of the league. Was a guy who put up 66 points in 15-16 the 34th highest scorer that season. What was the 34th highest scorer putting up last season? 74?
Good point. It’s interesting to see the change in era. I think what we’re also seeing is that defense doesn’t win cups anymore. Not to say that you don’t need defense, but when LA, Boston, and Chicago we’re tearing up the league, it was a different era. Now the offensive dynamos like Pittsburgh and Washington are winning. They’re not bad defensive teams, but defense isn’t their bread and butter. It Should change the way teams draft and develop. For a team like MN, who doesn’t look like they have any potential 70 point scorers coming up in the future, it’s alarming. Especially since the last 3 or 4 years each team that’s won the cup has had what, atleast 3 or 4 70+ point guys.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Parise is all motor. The contract will suck by the end of it but on balance it worked out well for us.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I tend to roll my eyes at these "Player X has Y over the last 40 games split between two seasons" threads. Why can't we just say Parise is doing better this season than he has at any point during his bust of a tenure in Minnesota?

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I tend to roll my eyes at these "Player X has Y over the last 40 games split between two seasons" threads. Why can't we just say Parise is doing better this season than he has at any point during his bust of a tenure in Minnesota?

I usaully agree, because its often an exercise in arbitrary endpoints.

But in Parise's case, the beginning point isn't arbitrary. He struggled for 2 seasons with a bad back, had a surgery to fix it and has been awesome since. It's easier for people to think it's a fluke, the smaller the sample size so demonstrating the length of his come back is important.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Because it's not true?

Parise was just fine in his first three years. It was only the last two where his injuries affected his play.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011

Because it's easier to believe Parise is actually playing well in a sustainable manner if he's been doing it longer than just half a season? Especially since his scoring surge at the end of the last season is easily missed because his overall point totals from 2017-18 weren't that impressive after having a slow start returning from a back surgery.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad