Prospect Info: Zach Metsa - RHD - Signed PTO + 2 yr AHL deal starting in 2023-24

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
He will become a group 6 UFA next summer if he signs just a yr contract.
I don’t know all the rules of it but don’t you have to have accrued more pro seasons for that designation?

Kulich Man

Oh Jeah!!
Dec 7, 2022
SmartSelect_20230918_103932_YouTube.gif

Moving like Campbell.

Just call him Metsa Ball Soup.

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
Him and Johnson seemed real steady throughout the tourny (Metsa seemed real steady in his short stint with Roch aswell). He very well could be a bottom pair/#7 d man in the league.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Him and Johnson seemed real steady throughout the tourny (Metsa seemed real steady in his short stint with Roch aswell). He very well could be a bottom pair/#7 d man in the league.

I see a lot of Chad Ruhwedel/Mark Pysyk in Metsa's game....hell, even Ryan Johnson. Smooth, calm, deliberate and reliable. Doesn't do anything at a real high level, but only has the glaring "weakness" of size.

Could easily see him go on to have a long career on an NHL roster as a 6/7 type.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Bryson is an AHL defensemen under NHL contract.

I think there's room in the org to have Metsa on an NHL contract or Bryson on an NHL contract, but not both. I hope they can move Bryson's contract out of the org but they'd probably have to add more sweetener than you'd want.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I'd like to have seen Metsa signed by now. What's the likelihood he looks for opportunity elsewhere?
Sabres need to find a place for a lot of NHL defensemen. Maybe if he would sign an AHL deal, but the article above has him looking for a shot at the NHL somewhere, and the Sabres just may not be willing to give him a two-way contract or any contract at all until they see what happens with Bryson and Clague.

I like the player, but I don't see a fit right now.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Sabres need to find a place for a lot of NHL defensemen. Maybe if he would sign an AHL deal, but the article above has him looking for a shot at the NHL somewhere, and the Sabres just may not be willing to give him a two-way contract or any contract at all until they see what happens with Bryson and Clague.

I like the player, but I don't see a fit right now.

He’s already on an AHL deal

Nozlen

Feb 19, 2021
I hope they invite Metsa to camp next year and offer him a Sabres contract, because hands down he has looked great in Rochester.

I know some will see he is 5'9, but trust me he plays great and his vision and Hockey IQ are off the charts, and want to know his impact thus far, well two words, Jackob Bryson...what does Jackob Bryson have to do with anything you ask, well Jackob Bryson is 5'9" and was completely awful until he went back down to the AHL and spent time on the same lines as Metsa and how has Bryson played since??

The one thing that Metsa has going against him is........OMG Sabre front office wait for this shocker.....Metsa is right handed, THE HORROR.

Metsa is currently under a Rochester American contract (yes Rochester can sign players) until the end of next year so you wont see him on Cap Friendly Sabres contracts, but hands down I see him as the best D Man playing for Rochester at the moment (Novikov as well) and has earned a chance for a contract, so please do not let this guy slip away because a RH Defenseman with skills and hockey IQ is at a premium.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Yeah, I've been campaigning for him to get a NHL contract since the Amerks signed him.

He's consistently one of their 2 best D in any given game.

Reactions: Nozlen

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He's already signed to a contract for Rochester for next year so he will very much be at camp. And if they decide to give him an NHL contract, I'd love that. He was on my shortlist for UDFA for two straight springs and signing him was a nice treat for me.

Reactions: Nozlen and Dingo44

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3