Prospect Info: Zach Magwood

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I can usually project guys but looking at his stats he looks like he was on the college route and said screw it. He went OHL a year late. He scored 59 points in 65 games in his 20 year old year. He was also money in the playoffs 10 points in 12 games.

He might be a find, he is getting 790K for a UDFA. Might be Jay Beagle. Could be more. Could be less. I can't find players who only played 3 years of CHL.

EDIT: I'm looking n-line for scouting reports and there is NOTHING.

Magwood inks NHL deal with Predators

This is the best I could find.

Last edited:
Reactions: nine_inch_fang

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I'm glad you started this Nine. Magwood seems like a mystery. Passed over the NHL draft 3 times! but Nashville thinks they have something. Signed with 70K signing bonus and 70K salary in the AHL. Is that good?

EDIT: Per capfriendly's contract comparision, Preds are paying him like a 6th rounder. Higher AHL salary to 7th rounders.

Last edited:

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
So since he is already 20 he will go straight to Milwaukee. Good deal. Kid can live the dream and maybe be a legit diamond in the rough.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I'm glad you started this Nine. Magwood seems like a mystery. Passed over the NHL draft 3 times! but Nashville thinks they have something. Signed with 70K signing bonus and 70K salary in the AHL. Is that good?

EDIT: Per capfriendly's contract comparision, Preds are paying him like a 6th rounder. Higher AHL salary to 7th rounders.
Yeah, I was surprised there wasn't anything on here about him. One of the Preds scouts knows something about him evidently. Good job digging and finding that fight, wouldn't hurt to have a young forward with skill that has some grit too.

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I don't see why he'd go play as an overager.

He's in a bind, this is his last year of CHL. The CHL scholarship would cover most of a CIS tuition, but he can't play NCAA. I can't find ANYTHNG on him. One video of him eatting American snacks, one losing a fight after a team mate rocked an opposing player in an exhibition.

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
The way I read it he had already had his overage junior season, no? I was assuming hes ineligible to go back to junior

Barrie fans say he had one more year because of his birth date. BUT it looks like he was being pushed out, he moved to Kitchener. Which is 168 K from Barrie

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
The way I read it he had already had his overage junior season, no? I was assuming hes ineligible to go back to junior
I think if you're 20 years old by December 31, you can be junior eligible, which he would be because he turned 20 in April. I can be very wrong though.

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Ok. But he could play in the AHL if the Preds wanted him to, right? It's only the 18 and 19 yos that have to go back to junior, or am I misunderstanding the rule?

He's 20 now so he would be good. Translation: he can go to an AHL team or Milwaukee

Last edited:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Sounds like they want him in the AHL but don't really have room for him. If that was the case I'm not sure why they didnt just send him back to the OHL.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I understand but I was thinking that after the Preds talked to the OHL team, the Preds decided to keep him in AHL/ECHL as favor to OHL team. Nice guy thing.
Why would we do a favor for a single OHL team? There a bunch of them so it wouldn't make much sense to do one a favor.

It was a decision they made for whatever reason, and frankly I'm not convinced it was the wrong one, but we shall see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad