Zach Hyman vs John Tavares

?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
obviously Hyman at this point but I think it'd be silly to suggest McDavid hasn't had a massive influence on Hyman's production.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
There’s no context to this poll. What team are they on?

If it’s Edmonton I’d take Hyman as they need grit and already have scoring. If it’s Nashville, I’d probably take Tavares.

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
Easily Tavares.

Was this thread created out of pure insecurity? The answer is plainly obvious
Hyman.jpg

tavares.jpg

I agree. It is plainly obvious.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
If you go back a couple of season it's probably Tavares easily, but last year and this season Hyman has been better, and has been great in the playoffs as well.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
While getting selke votes
No player in Toronto deserves Selke consideration.

And Tavares is -4 on a playoff team... he won't get a single vote

This poll is a result of the leafs living rent free in the TS head
Or making stupid contract decisions...

Hyman has been the better player the last 2 years, and far better this year.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
No player in Toronto deserves Selke consideration.

And Tavares is -4 on a playoff team... he won't get a single vote

Or making stupid contract decisions...

Hyman has been the better player the last 2 years, and far better this year.

At the time the Leafs were needing to re up Hyman, they already had signed the big 3. They were already stuck. Would they have loved to have Hyman? Sure. But they went all in with Marner, Matthews and Tavares.

On the Leafs in his role we asked him to do, this is what he was

A 40 point player.

Would we love to still have Hyman? Ya. But what you are suggesting here, was for the Leafs to what? Trade Tavares at the time to retain Hyman, a perennial 40 point player?

I'm happy for Hyman. He's having a great season and is a super nice guy and he LOVES Toronto. But this need to find some angle to shit on the Leafs only highlights the thread starters insecurity and the fact that the Leafs live rent free.

If we wanna make polls to highlight stupid contract decisions...I don't see any Leaf fans making Jack Campbell or Nurse comparison threads. Why? Don't need to. Edmonton is at the bottom of the ladder of attention for Leaf fans. We simply don't notice you. Your purpose is to allow western Leaf fans a chance to watch the Leafs for cheap whenever we are in town.

So ya.

Rent free. :)

Last edited:

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I love Hyman, but he’s very much a product of the system and the players he’s surrounded by. So Hyman on the Oilers is technically > Tavares. But that wouldn’t be true if he played on most other teams instead.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I love Hyman, but he’s very much a product of the system and the players he’s surrounded by. So Hyman on the Oilers is technically > Tavares. But that wouldn’t be true if he played on most other teams instead.
He played with Matthews and Marner before.

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
At the time the Leafs were needing to re up Hyman, they already had signed the big 3. They were already stuck. Would they have loved to have Hyman? Sure. But they went all in with Marner, Matthews and Tavares.

On the Leafs in his role we asked him to do, this is what he was

A 40 point player.

Would we love to still have Hyman? Ya. But what you are suggesting here, was for the Leafs to what? Trade Tavares at the time to retain Hyman, a perennial 40 point player?

I'm happy for Hyman. He's having a great season and is a super nice guy and he LOVES Toronto. But this need to find some angle to shit on the Leafs only highlights the thread starters insecurity and the fact that the Leafs live rent free.

If we wanna make polls to highlight stupid contract decisions...I don't see any Leaf fans making Jack Campbell or Nurse comparison threads. Why? Don't need to. Edmonton is at the bottom of the ladder of attention for Leaf fans. We simply don't notice you. Your purpose is to allow western Leaf fans a chance to watch the Leafs for cheap whenever we are in town.

So ya.

Rent free. :)

Then why did you spend so much time responding? Triggered little Leafs fan. Clearly the Oilers do occupy a spot on your mind.

pathetic... lol

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
How many threads do we need where someone picks a Leafs player we know is the better player over their career, but make sure to frame the question in the best way to get people to pick the other player?

It's just like the Stutzle vs Matthews one from a while ago.
You mean like framing it "who is the better player?". Even without the huge contract disparity? Actually the OP is very generous to Tavares by excluding contracts. There cant be a single non Leafs fan that voted for Tavares.

Reactions: Homesick

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Tavares has 1 single round (2016 vs Florida) in his entire career where he's actually produced at the level expected fo him. Hyman alone had as many playoff goals in 2021-22 as Tavares has had his entire tenure in Toronto. The McDavid effect is certainly playing a role - but still.

Tavares is probably the better player if you're choosing one of them to lead their line, but if I'm already in the playoffs and I can add either of these two - I'm going Hyman for this year. The exception would be Boston where they truly lack a top center.

OilWagon

Jul 20, 2019
Edmonton
Tavares has 1 single round (2016 vs Florida) in his entire career where he's actually produced at the level expected fo him. Hyman alone had as many playoff goals in 2021-22 as Tavares has had his entire tenure in Toronto. The McDavid effect is certainly playing a role - but still.

Tavares is probably the better player if you're choosing one of them to lead their line, but if I'm already in the playoffs and I can add either of these two - I'm going Hyman for this year. The exception would be Boston where they truly lack a top center.
How can Tavares lead a line in his current shape? He's been carried by Nylander for a few years now and couldn't even pull his own weight to the point he was demoted to 3rd line this year.

Reactions: redwings25
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad