Zach Hyman point projection

how many points does Zach Hyman score this year?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
i could be wrong but i dont believe he was on the top PP unit? Correct me if im wrong Oilers fans

Hyman will play the 1 position on the Oilers first unit power play (1-3-1). That unit plays anywhere from 1:30 to the full 2 minutes of the power play. Basically, Hyman will be the net-front guy for a tonne of power play time with McDavid and Draisaitl. He'll be replacing Chiasson in that role.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
i could be wrong but i dont believe he was on the top PP unit? Correct me if im wrong Oilers fans

He should theoretically take Chiasson's spot in front of the net to bang in any garbage that falls nearby. They tried him and Pool there yesterday, but given he has more experience using his body (and getting position) he likely gets the nod on PP1 over pool. Based on his goal yesterday, he seems to have already figured out that he just needs to sit around with his stick on the ice and McDavid will make the puck hit it, so that's a bonus.

I think he will have a higher rate of having pucks bounced in off him, than he did in Toronto. No disrespect to the Toronto guys, Matthews and Marner is a hell of a duo.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
53 ... not many until they figure out that his playing style doesn't fit with McDavid, plenty afterwards with Drai. 20 games lost injured.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Umm... dude was pace for 63 points and 30 goals last season
now gets to play more (more ice time) with better players (McDavid)

Why wouldn't people project better point production for this season???

i think people who are projecting 45-50 points are lowballing.

He averaged 19:22 last year. I'm not sure if he'll be playing much more than that.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Umm... dude was pace for 63 points and 30 goals last season
now gets to play more (more ice time) with better players (McDavid)

Why wouldn't people project better point production for this season???

i think people who are projecting 45-50 points are lowballing.

I think 60 points is well within reach if he plays a full 82 game season.

He hasn't done that since 2018 though...

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
why not just say 1,000 if we're gonna make stuff up?
Make stuff up?

He would have gotten 60 pts lasts year with the Leafs....no he's in a better situation...its not far fetched to suggest he gets 65-70. Oilers will be a top 3 scoring team and he'll be on their top line and top PP, playing with the offensive player in the league.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Gotta be 60+ if he plays with McDavid.
Anything less would be disappointing unless he misses time with injury which unfortunately with Zach is quite possible.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
If he plays on the top power play then 65 plus is not out of the question. I don’t see much of a bump playing 5vs5 with McDavid as he played with Marner and Matthews last year, I believe. But the Oilers PP is lethal and a pretty big step up from the Leafs. It’s definitely going to bump up his point totals.

Reactions: Regal

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
If he plays on the top power play then 65 plus is not out of the question. I don’t see much of a bump playing 5vs5 with McDavid as he played with Marner and Matthews last year, I believe. But the Oilers PP is lethal and a pretty big step up from the Leafs. It’s definitely going to bump up his point totals.

I think a good benchmark is how Kunitz did with Pittsburgh. Typically around the 50-55 point mark, with a couple of 60 point seasons (61 and 68, respectively). Ironically, the bump from the 50-ish range to the 60-ish range is when he also got bumped up to play more regularly with the top PP unit.

I think Kunitz and Hyman sort of provide a similar game for the top line. Neither are necessarily "elite talent", but they're both good enough to not drag the top guys down, while adding the stuff away from the puck that help the top guys thrive.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
McDavid helped Maroon put up a 27 goal season. He doesn't have 27 total since leaving Edmonton. Hyman is going to put up some big time career best seasons if he plays on a line with him. I don't forsee him being a PPG guy or anything crazy, but a 60+ point season wouldn't surprise me.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
I guess mid-50s.

He'll at least start on a line with McDavid (and the net-front spot on PP1), but who knows where he ends up? I think Hyman is a versatile guy who can play up and down the lineup, as he did in TOR - I could see him having success with Draisaitl as well (cycle machines) or on a second line with RNH if Tippet decides to play his nuclear weapons together.

Regardless, I think his contributions to the team will be more than just on the scoresheet.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Cant do simple math or realize that playing with McDavid is a better situation than he had before?
playing with McDavid is obviously a huge plus but I don't really think it's that much better of a situation atleast at 5v5 when you consider how much better Marner is than Puljujarvi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad