Prospect Info: Zach Hyman: Best New Two-Way Forward On The Leafs?

LoveRealHockey

Sep 13, 2010
Sounds like Babcock is describing a high energy 4th line player. No mention of talent or skill. All about dependability & effort.

I want more Browns, less Hymans, thanks.
Debating the merit of players, line combinations, coach's decisions etc is what makes us fans and the reason these forums exist. However, if a coach of Babcock's credentials, experience, track record across numerous levels of hockey including working with the very best players in the world thinks Hyman belongs on that line; then that is good enough for me. I often wonder why he's there but as a coach myself (basketball not hockey) I often see the little things in a players performance that goes unnoticed. Clearly that line dominated last game against the President's Cup winners. Hyman is doing his job

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
A little hypocritical to call one poster arrogant, yet in your next post tell another poster what's an appropriate way to post.

yes i believe we should all discuss our views on the team and for those views to be based on our observations and not feel the need to agree/support/defend every decision the team makes

I wouldn't call that hypocritical since i enjoy coming on here and reading/discussing people opinions , there wouldn't be much of a reason to come on here if we're all just a flock of sheeple spewing the company line .

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Great recent bit in Leafs Lunch were they were all laughing about how Babcock probably sleeps with Human's jersey under his pillow.

Hayes was all like " I bet Hyman lives in his house like Sid did with Mario in his first year"

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
If leivo could skate like hyman he would be in that spot, but alas if and or buts are a fools game.

If it's all about skating, Elvis, Brian & Kurt would be our first line.

Leivo probably skates just as fast as Hyman, with the puck, or close enough & Hyman spends an awful lot of his time on his ass.

If we're talking about how Hyman skates without the puck & away from traffic, yup, faster than Leivo, but slower than Kurt, Elvis & Brian.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
If it's all about skating, Elvis, Brian & Kurt would be our first line.

Leivo probably skates just as fast as Hyman, with the puck, or close enough & Hyman spends an awful lot of his time on his ass.

If we're talking about how Hyman skates without the puck & away from traffic, yup, faster than Leivo, but slower than Kurt, Elvis & Brian.
Not sure about the with the puck speed. Leivo flat out has wayyyyyyy better puck skills period but even with the puck I think hyman beats him.
You are correct that if it was just about speed any burner would do, so what's the difference?
Zach has the smarts to play up there. He process thw game fast enough, differently than an offensively driven player, but fast none the less.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
yes i believe we should all discuss our views on the team and for those views to be based on our observations and not feel the need to agree/support/defend every decision the team makes

I wouldn't call that hypocritical since i enjoy coming on here and reading/discussing people opinions , there wouldn't be much of a reason to come on here if we're all just a flock of sheeple spewing the company line .

wow, so sad :shakehead

if my post history does not prove that i never tow this company's line

then idk what proof is needed

all i see is a great coach, getting the best out of matthews , with what he has to work with on his roster.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016

That's fine, that's your opinion - I don't necessarily think it's inappropriate to be on here agreeing with the coach or management, we have differing views on that - but you had just finished telling another poster he needs to be more open to other peoples opinions.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
[/B]
wow, so sad :shakehead

if my post history does not prove that i never tow this company's line

then idk what proof is needed

all i see is a great coach, getting the best out of matthews , with what he has to work with on his roster.

I never singled out anyone , i just said people should form their own opinion and not feel the need to agree with every decision the team makes .

also if i felt you were a sheeple i would have said as much , the only thing i said to you was why you felt you were the only one allowed to question the teams decisions

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
That's fine, that's your opinion - I don't necessarily think it's inappropriate to be on here agreeing with the coach or management, we have differing views on that - but you had just finished telling another poster he needs to be more open to other peoples opinions.

no , the other poster basically said the only reason he's defending Hyman on AM's line is because Babs plays him there and i said i'd rather hear what he actually believes instead of him feeling the need to toe the company line

agreeing with the decisions the team makes is fine , i thrilled with how the teams been run/coached overall but that doesn't mean i feel every decision they've made is perfect

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Great recent bit in Leafs Lunch were they were all laughing about how Babcock probably sleeps with Human's jersey under his pillow.

Hayes was all like " I bet Hyman lives in his house like Sid did with Mario in his first year"

Sounds idiotic enough, like the ones who go on about him being his "son".

Compelling stuff, wonder who they post here as?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I never singled out anyone , i just said people should form their own opinion and not feel the need to agree with every decision the team makes .

also if i felt you were a sheeple i would have said as much , the only thing i said to you was why you felt you were the only one allowed to question the teams decisions

so basically you're on here endlessly defending his use on the first line not because you believe he should play there but just because you have to agree with the coach

how about you use your energy to develop your own opinion instead of just regurgitating the company line , it would make the discussions much more enjoyable
:huh:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The real interesting thing will Be nextt season when Hyman is facing multiple younger and more skilled players fighting for that LW spot.

I understand Babcock not wanting to shake things up mid playoff series but I'm not so certain Hyman has as firm job security as some think - he could find himself playing further down the lineup quite easily.

Last edited:

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
The real interesting thing will Bennett season when Hyman is facing multiple younger and more skilled players fighting for that LW spot.

I understand Babcock not wanting to shake things up mid playoff series but I'm not so certain Hyman has as firm job security as some think - he could find himself playing for their down the lineup quite easily.

If Grundström comes over and with a smooth transition it could be as you say.
It all depends on how he transitions. If he could do like Zaitsev did, that would be amazing.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
The real interesting thing will Bennett season when Hyman is facing multiple younger and more skilled players fighting for that LW spot.

I understand Babcock not wanting to shake things up mid playoff series but I'm not so certain Hyman has as firm job security as some think - he could find himself playing further down the lineup quite easily.

I wouldn't want any player thinking they have a spot in the lineup guaranteed for next season. That type of entitlement was what led to the disasters of the pre-Burke era.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I wouldn't want any player thinking they have a spot in the lineup guaranteed for next season. That type of entitlement was what led to the disasters of the pre-Burke era.

Seconded! And all the management speaks of not allowing that entitlement now.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Agreed but Hyman's not a dumb kid. He'll know he won't stay in the league on skill alone, he'll need to come to work everyday.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
The real interesting thing will Be nextt season when Hyman is facing multiple younger and more skilled players fighting for that LW spot.

I'd be shocked if he stayed in his position in the lineup next season but there wont be changes now. This squad is going to live or die just as it stands barring injury.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

Burke spewed a lot non sense including his shtick about entitlement and blue and white disease but then turned around and built his own entitled core .

the truth is when lock up your core to big money long term deals you have to hope they're the type of people that keep motivated because there's not much you can do with them if they start to half ass it

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

and this is the correct answer

stop making sence, i'm not used to that from you:laugh:

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
you're right , i did call you out but i didn't call you a sheeple , lol , and i actually do enjoy your reading your posts when it's actually your opinion i'm reading
I've only ever stated my opinion on this. The only time I brought up babcock was when a poster asked why hyman and Matthews were kept together and to that my reply was there is a link that says why babcock keeps them together.
My posts were all my opinion. If you ask me what I think about babcock I will give that too but I didn't here. At least I wasn't trying to.

My thoughts on Hyman come mostly from watching him live. A friend of mine has seasons behind the visiting net and I get to see him work the boards and I was impressed. I also managed to catch a game with Leivo and his board work is good but hyman is better. I found leivo was really good along the half boards and created a lot from there. Zach was good there and the end boards. Also hyman could more often than not get the puck to the end boards and hold it there for some time whereas leivo couldn't do that with continuity.
:cheers:

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I've only ever stated my opinion on this. The only time I brought up babcock was when a poster asked why hyman and Matthews were kept together and to that my reply was there is a link that has why babcock keeps them together.
My posts were all my opinion. If you ask me what I think about babcock I will give that too but I didn't here. At least I wasn't trying to.

My thoughts on Hyman come mostly from watching him live. A find of mine has seasons behind the visiting net and I get to see him work the boards and I was impressed. I also managed to catch a game with Leivo and his board work is good but hyman is better. I found leivo was really good along the half boards and created a lot from there. Zach was good there and the end boards. Also hyman could more often than not get the puck to the end boards and hold it there for some time whereas leivo couldn't do that with continuity.
:cheers:

something tells me that leivo will be marners trigger man next season, just a hunch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad