Prospect Info: Zach Fucale won the Jacques Plante trophy

Cameron Diaz

Nov 19, 2013
Just read in another forum.

Zach Fucale won the Jacques Plante trophy for the goalie with the lowest goals against average and was named the league’s personality of the year and a second-team all-star. Fucale had a 2.26 GAA, .907 save percentage and a 36-9-0-3 record for the Mooseheads. He also represented Canada at the world juniors in Malmo, Sweden. (http://thechronicleherald.ca)

Apparently people that watch the Mooseheads live are convinced He is the Real Deal. .907 is amazing in the Offense > Defense QMJHL

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
One thing I will credit Bergevin for, with the Tokarski trade (giving us a player who can compete for the backup position) and drafting Fucale (who I'm not going to hype as much as some due to the uncertainty of the position, but he's definitely a guy with high upside), our goalie depth isn't hopeless anymore, allowing us to focus on drafting more skaters again.

Jacques Trap*

Although he may or may not be ready for pro, there's very little left for him to prove at the jr level.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Can't wait until Waite gets to work with him. Given all the records and awards he has won in junior. Combined with Timmins saying about his great passion for game and Roy like will to win. If we bow out early in first round again could be ingredient we are missing

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Is Halifax projected to enter a rebuild phase next season, or do they have enough strength in Ehlers and returning players that they may still be competitive? I wonder if Fucale will be able to finish his career there next season or may become a trade candidate?

Scotianhab

Aug 2, 2005
Nova Scotia
Is Halifax projected to enter a rebuild phase next season, or do they have enough strength in Ehlers and returning players that they may still be competitive? I wonder if Fucale will be able to finish his career there next season or may become a trade candidate?

It's hard to say. They'll lose Ashley, Drouin, Andrews, & Duke next year. Weegar could also turn pro. Potential OA coming back are Ryan, Weegar, Gadoury, Lussier, & Ciampini. I could see them trading Fucale to help with the rebuild at the deadline.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
Everyone expects the Mooseheads to have to start re-building, but I personally just don't see it. Fucale should be the best junior goalie and Canada next year, Ehlers will be one of the best Forwards in the Q, if not the entire CHL next year, 3 very good 20's in Gadoury, Weegar (Flordia), and one of Ryan/Hardie. And a 19 year old (Falkenham) who's been almost all season with a hip injury.

Mooseheads are still going to be a good team next year with Ehlers, Experienced Blueline, and Fucale.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
One thing I will credit Bergevin for, with the Tokarski trade (giving us a player who can compete for the backup position) and drafting Fucale (who I'm not going to hype as much as some due to the uncertainty of the position, but he's definitely a guy with high upside), our goalie depth isn't hopeless anymore, allowing us to focus on drafting more skaters again.

He certainly improved the depth, but he should continue to add to it, if you like someone in the later rounds you pick him just to keep adding to the mix, just like having Varlamov, Pickard, Aittokalio, Paterson and Millan didn't stop the Avs from adding Berra and Martin, having Carey, Budaj, Zach and Tokarski shouldn't stop Bergevin from adding more depth, there's no such thing as having too many good goalie prospects in today's NHL.

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal

Good question, but judging by our goaltending situation in Hamilton, can he make the move up early? Its not as if Tokarski, Mayer, or Dubnyk are having stellar seasons either. 1 shoutout between the three of them, and even though I could not find GAA's for them, I cant imagine either of them having less than 2.5 GA judging by the scores throughout the season thus far.

I know that it doesnt tell the whole story, but it is something to be concerned about for the future.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
Good question, but judging by our goaltending situation in Hamilton, can he make the move up early? Its not as if Tokarski, Mayer, or Dubnyk are having stellar seasons either. 1 shoutout between the three of them, and even though I could not find GAA's for them, I cant imagine either of them having less than 2.5 GA judging by the scores throughout the season thus far.

I know that it doesnt tell the whole story, but it is something to be concerned about for the future.

Fucale has to either be in the NHL or The Q next season. Can't play in Hamilton until he's 20.

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal
As a Moose fan I'm happy, because we'll use Fucale to either compete again next year and/or rebuild with. As a Habs fan, I'd like to see him make the next step.

Yeah, but im not sure it would be wise to bring him up so fast, since we have a dependable # 1. I see no benefit in bringing him up to ride the bench, and he would be better served being the # 1 with the Mooseheads ( or elsewhere) to continue to get playing time.

eFFeRR

Major League Hockey
Dec 11, 2013
Give him another year in Juniors..

No reason to rush him to the NHL.. we have zero need for him at the moment. Can't hurt to get the playing time even though he's already proved himself.

When he is eligible to play in the AHL the season after, give him a season down there. Follow the same route we took with Carey Price, but perhaps giving Fucale the full year down there.

Halifaxhab*

This year is really our last kick at the can. After this, it'll be more of a holding pattern, not sellling off futures to "go for it"

That said, I can definately see Fucale being traded to the team that wants to "go for it"

So another year in juniors would be highly beneficial.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Agree with "give him a full year in the AHL". Fucale reminds me of Price in that he seems to be a pretty cool character on the ice; he doesn't get fazed easily when he gives up a goal, even when it's a bad one. He'll come right back on the next shift and make a key save.

14/15: QMJHL. 15/16: AHL. 16/17: Depending on progress, another year in AHL or ready for NHL backup duties. At the beginning of the 17/18 season, the earliest that Fucale might be ready to assume starting duties, Price will be 30, still with several good years ahead of him. That will put us in a "good problem to have" position.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Great season for him with solid stats that's for sure, hopefully Halifax can win the title and he goes back to the Memorial Cup

Anyways I really hope the Habs don't rush this kid, with Price set for years I'd let him stay in the minors at least 2 full seasons if not 3. Then he can start backing up 25-30games a year

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
Wish they'd allow certain players that have no benefit of another junior season but aren't quite ready to make the jump to move up to AHL a year early, the point of juniors should be development not put it on hold for a year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad