Confirmed with Link: Zach Aston-Reese signs 1 yr, 2 way deal

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
i've never been a huge Berggren guy so I don't care nearly as much about him as the Edvinsson situation but he's at a point where there's only one thing that will ever make him a better NHL player and it's not playing more games in the AHL

I honestly think that even playing 4th line minutes in the NHL would do more for his development than more AHL games at this point

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Berggren still has a chance to provide some value as a complimentary offensive player in Detroit one day, but since he's a one-dimensional player, consistency is absolutely critical for him, and he hasn't demonstrated that in a while. He'll have a much better chance to establish that consistency in GR where he'll have a lot of opportunity to do so, than on the 4th-line in Detroit where he'd be asked to fulfill a role that doesn't match his skillset.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Berggren only 23 , give him 2 more years . Could I say he is similar to Nyquist , who had his first full NHL season at 25

Reactions: sepster

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I am shocked Berggren is going to AHL? What am I missing?

He struggles badly down the stretch last year and only brings lowish tier scoring. He doesn't PK or bring some other good piece to the table, so he goes down. Players like him have to basically make their way into the top 6 or find other ways to be of value. Right now Berrgren is only a scoring player who doesn't fit well on a non scoring line. He may have a few more offensive skills than the guys who made it, but he also isn't doing so good offensively to make him more valuable than a person who can do more than that. For example, Fischer brings close to the same amount of pts as Berggren on a lower line and he also PK's. Kostin is a physical kind of guy who fits great in the bottom 6 and Veleno is also pretty decent in his own end.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
i've never been a huge Berggren guy so I don't care nearly as much about him as the Edvinsson situation but he's at a point where there's only one thing that will ever make him a better NHL player and it's not playing more games in the AHL

I honestly think that even playing 4th line minutes in the NHL would do more for his development than more AHL games at this point

Berggren will only learn more in that role if he was willing to work on his defence or do something else other than offence, He doesn't provide much offence on the 4th line anyhow. Players like him basically have to force themselves into a top 6 role or else they will be odd guy out. Lots of teams have similar players who also got sent down or waived because other guys fit better on the lower lines. Most NHL coaches don't like scoring only minded players on the lower lines. Even Sprong will likely find himself scratched this year or playing very little if he doesn't score. Look at Kubalik last year, he started out great, but Lalonde clearly wasn't a fan of him as his ice time and line usage went downhill all season long.

Berggren only 23 , give him 2 more years . Could I say he is similar to Nyquist , who had his first full NHL season at 25

Nyquist was a lot better and Nyquist only didn't make it until 25, because we were a playoff team and Babcock was very vet heavy. Lalonde very much is proving he likes 2 way guys in virtually all his players, based on who Steve has added or subtracted in the past 2 seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad