Z vs Jonesy

Z or Jonesy

• Z

• Jonesy

• Keep both at all costs...even if it wrecks the team's salary structure for the next five years

Results are only viewable after voting.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I don't think this is an issue at all with Jones or Werenski. Both have connections to the midwest, both have said to like it here, both are relatively quiet keep to themselves personalities, and both have grown their games here.

I'm not saying its a lock by any means that they stay here, but I think its very probable they do. It all depends on if they believe in the teams future outlook.

I agree overall with this post but especially the bolded. Given the opportunity to play with a legitimate top 4 or 5 SC contender rather than a borderline playoff team I don't think it would make much difference that a player preferred Columbus over another city.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It all depends on if they believe in the teams future outlook.

I agree overall with this post but especially the bolded. Given the opportunity to play with a legitimate top 4 or 5 SC contender rather than a borderline playoff team I don't think it would make much difference that a player preferred Columbus over another city.

Were you all doing a Rip Van Winkle when Bob and Panarin left for worse teams?

I'm not saying it won't be a factor but to a lot of players it doesn't seem to play a big role in their decision making.

A few other instances where star D signed with weaker clubs:

Chara signed with the Bruins when they were bad.
Niedermayer signed with the Ducks when they were bad.
Gonchar signed with the Penguins when they were really bad.

And that's when guys are switching teams, there are many others instances where players stay on their own team even though it's mediocre.

And will the Jackets be the weaker or stronger club when the time comes? We don't know. In the years since Seth and Zach joined, the Jackets are two wins shy of having the 5th most wins of all teams. It's possible these guys think this franchise is more of a contender than you think it is. They certainly seem excited to go win a cup right now.

Reactions: Monstershockey

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Were you all doing a Rip Van Winkle when Bob and Panarin left for worse teams?

I'm not saying it won't be a factor but to a lot of players it doesn't seem to play a big role in their decision making.

A few other instances where star D signed with weaker clubs:

Chara signed with the Bruins when they were bad.
Niedermayer signed with the Ducks when they were bad.
Gonchar signed with the Penguins when they were really bad.

And that's when guys are switching teams, there are many others instances where players stay on their own team even though it's mediocre.

And will the Jackets be the weaker or stronger club when the time comes? We don't know. In the years since Seth and Zach joined, the Jackets are two wins shy of having the 5th most wins of all teams. It's possible these guys think this franchise is more of a contender than you think it is. They certainly seem excited to go win a cup right now.

Did they? I don't think they did. I can see Panarin leaving for NYR as going for a worse team, but its very close, and they've got a way brighter future outlook as far as it goes with prospects. Florida has been a solid team knocking on the door for years, we've been barely better than them, so I'd say its about even.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Did they? I don't think they did. I can see Panarin leaving for NYR as going for a worse team, but its very close, and they've got a way brighter future outlook as far as it goes with prospects. Florida has been a solid team knocking on the door for years, we've been barely better than them, so I'd say its about even.

If they're a little bit worse than us after taking our star player, then I'd say they weren't close to begin with. Without Panarin the Rangers would be sucking derriere for Lafreniere. Bob didn't help Florida but I'd also disagree that Florida was close behind us before. The Jackets have made the playoffs every year while the Panthers consistently miss.

Over the previous three years the Jackets are 4th with 142 wins, while the Panthers are 22nd with 115 and the Rangers right behind them with 114. I can't imagine what team you've been watching, it's hard to imagine it's the same Jackets team I've been following.

Edit: You can take out the 50 win season and just look at the previous two seasons, and we're still 8th compared to the Panthers 18th and Rangers 27th.

Reactions: rotsbu and thebus88

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
If they're a little bit worse than us after taking our star player, then I'd say they weren't close to begin with. Without Panarin the Rangers would be sucking derriere for Lafreniere. Bob didn't help Florida but I'd also disagree that Florida was close behind us before. The Jackets have made the playoffs every year while the Panthers consistently miss.

Over the previous three years the Jackets are 4th with 142 wins, while the Panthers are 22nd with 115 and the Rangers right behind them with 114. I can't imagine what team you've been watching, it's hard to imagine it's the same Jackets team I've been following.

Edit: You can take out the 50 win season and just look at the previous two seasons, and we're still 8th compared to the Panthers 18th and Rangers 27th.
You are taking a very short term approach with the Rangers. They tore that team down at the TDL last year and got a ton of young talent in return. That team has the potential to be extremely good over the length of Panarin's contract. The Rangers are loaded with up and coming young players. Zibanejad, Kakko, Chityl, Shesterkin, Trouba, Fox, Deangelo, K'Andre Miller and the list goes on.

I think most people in the know expect them to be very good. Frankly I think they surprised everyone being as competitive as they were this season. They were hot going into the lock down and might have earned a playoff spot had the regular season been completed. They are ahead of schedule. I am not looking forward to having to play them so much over the next five years.

I know if I were a Rangers fan I would be salivating and what this team might become very soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: CBJWennberg10

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
You are taking a very short term approach with the Rangers. They tore that team down at the TDL last year and got a ton of young talent in return. That team has the potential to be extremely good over the length of Panarin's contract. The Rangers are loaded with up and coming young players. Zibanejad, Kakko, Chityl, Shesterkin, Trouba, Fox, Deangelo, K'Andre Miller and the list goes on.

I think most people in the know expect them to be very good. Frankly I think they surprised everyone being as competitive as they were this season. They were hot going into the lock down and might have earned a playoff spot had the regular season been completed. They are ahead of schedule. I am not looking forward to having to play them so much over the next five years.

I know if I were a Rangers fan I would be salivating and what this team might become very soon.

I expect the Rangers to be good long term too. But as you said it is a surprise that they are even close to a playoff spot this year. It's clear he didn't choose NY to be on a winner.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

It's not just on production. Yes, on the ice success we have outshone both teams pretty well recently. But did we actually have a chance to win the Cup in our playoff years? I don't think so. Last year was our best shot and we still had to go through the #1 and #2 team in the league BEFORE the finals. Florida has been held back by brutal goaltending and poor defense the past few years, and are still struggling with that now, but they're on the right track IMO. Rangers went through a rebuild, but are now ready to start surging.

I expect the Rangers to be good long term too. But as you said it is a surprise that they are even close to a playoff spot this year. It's clear he didn't choose NY to be on a winner.

Not in the short term, but in the long term yes he did. It's New York, they won't have an issue with paying for free agents or even attracting free agents. He sacrificed being on a upper fringe playoff team in Columbus to a lower fringe playoff team in New York. A small step back temporarily, but a giant opportunity ahead in the future if they play their cards right. This isn't even factoring in all the NY nightlife/shopping stuff that we can't compete with.

With Bobrovsky, there was a bunch of off ice incidents that drove the departure. If none of that happened and Bob and the Jackets were still happily joined together the last two years together, I think we would have signed him and he'd still be here.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It's not just on production. Yes, on the ice success we have outshone both teams pretty well recently. But did we actually have a chance to win the Cup in our playoff years? I don't think so. Last year was our best shot and we still had to go through the #1 and #2 team in the league BEFORE the finals. Florida has been held back by brutal goaltending and poor defense the past few years, and are still struggling with that now, but they're on the right track IMO. Rangers went through a rebuild, but are now ready to start surging.

Not in the short term, but in the long term yes he did. It's New York, they won't have an issue with paying for free agents or even attracting free agents. He sacrificed being on a upper fringe playoff team in Columbus to a lower fringe playoff team in New York. A small step back temporarily, but a giant opportunity ahead in the future if they play their cards right. This isn't even factoring in all the NY nightlife/shopping stuff that we can't compete with.

With Bobrovsky, there was a bunch of off ice incidents that drove the departure. If none of that happened and Bob and the Jackets were still happily joined together the last two years together, I think we would have signed him and he'd still be here.

Artemi wanted to move to New York for lifestyle reasons, he expects to win anywhere because he's that damn good of a player. The Rangers have a good outlook but without Panarin it isn't better than the Jackets' outlook.* They can attract free agents but there comes a time when they have the same cap hit as any other team.

*I'm more confident saying this about last summer's expectations. Fox and Shestyerkin might have changed things. Last year their top prospects were Kravtsov and Kakko, very very good but hardly a dynasty incoming.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I still wonder how agents view Columbus. Our team seems to play hard ball on good RFA for what ever reason. You have to wonder if agents don't get tired of that?

Again I've been in Columbus a long while and I like it, but as discussed it's not for everyone (players perspective). There are locations with much warmer weather, places with better night life, places with bigger airports seem to come up a lot. It's great for several things - good schools (generally good place to raise a family), fantastic golf courses, attached practice facility makes it easy for a guy like Jones to buy a condo within walking distance for his work, traffic is pretty good compared to larger markets.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I still wonder how agents view Columbus. Our team seems to play hard ball on good RFA for what ever reason. You have to wonder if agents don't get tired of that?

Again I've been in Columbus a long while and I like it, but as discussed it's not for everyone (players perspective). There are locations with much warmer weather, places with better night life, places with bigger airports seem to come up a lot. It's great for several things - good schools (generally good place to raise a family), fantastic golf courses, attached practice facility makes it easy for a guy like Jones to buy a condo within walking distance for his work, traffic is pretty good compared to larger markets.

Here's page 2 of the recent agent poll. Jarmo didn't received any votes in the "Toughest GM to work with" category. He also didn't any votes in the "Who would you prefer to work with to get a great deal for your client" category.

Probably a good sign for him to be somewhere in the middle, but I'd definitely prefer he skew to the "tough" end of the spectrum.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

What about games in hand?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I wouldn't be surprised if some agents are peeved if their kids are drafted by the Jackets, because Jarmo does play hardball with RFAs. UFA age is different though, there's no sign of Jarmo being reluctant to pay to keep or attract talent in UFA years. Like most teams there's no amenities advantage so they have to pay, which works out better for agents.

The most extreme case of the difference in treatment of RFA and UFA is Lou Lamiorello. Agents hate working with him with RFAs. He squeezes them for every drop and then goes and wastes the savings on overpaying UFA third liners in their 30s.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
I wouldn't be surprised if some agents are peeved if their kids are drafted by the Jackets, because Jarmo does play hardball with RFAs. UFA age is different though, there's no sign of Jarmo being reluctant to pay to keep or attract talent in UFA years. Like most teams there's no amenities advantage so they have to pay, which works out better for agents.

The most extreme case of the difference in treatment of RFA and UFA is Lou Lamiorello. Agents hate working with him with RFAs. He squeezes them for every drop and then goes and wastes the savings on overpaying UFA third liners in their 30s.

I tend to agree with the majority of this, but I will add that Atkinson(?), Merzlikins, Murray, Werenski, and Jones Wennberg were all paid quite favorably as RFAs.

georgiabluejacket

Jun 6, 2002
Georgia
Think you can resign both very easily & without screwing up our cap situation. Wouldn't surprise me if both signed below market deals(say $7 mill instead of 8) as well just to help out the franchise a little. Both are model players & both seem to enjoy playing here & with each other.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad