GDT: z - Flames @ Kings, 8:00 MT, SNET-W

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
That’s... sad. Good god we need a bonafidd starter badly.

Do your realize that a 26 year old goalie (one of the youngest in the NHL!) just set our single season wins record since Miika Kiprusoff, and he did it while playing about 60% of the games Kiprusoff ever did?

The only thing sad about this is that he has more wins than Elliott or Smith who got far more starts than he has.

If anything, it's exciting. Rittich has so much experience to add to his resume.

Edit: According to Ryan Leslie, Peters said Bennett will play again in the regular season.
Whew. We need him in the playoffs!

This is fantastic news. Now I can enjoy this 7-2 beatdown of the Los Angeles Punks.

Last edited:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

Edit: According to Ryan Leslie, Peters said Bennett will play again in the regular season.
Whew. We need him in the playoffs!

Sam Bennett pisses me off sometime but he is an important part of this team. Team is a lot better when he plays well.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Do your realize that a 26 year old goalie (one of the youngest in the NHL!) just set our single season wins record since Miika Kiprusoff, and he did it while playing about 60% of the games Kiprusoff ever did?

The only thing sad about this is that he has more wins than Elliott or Smith who got far more starts than he has.

If anything, it's exciting. Rittich has so much experience to add to his resume.

This is fantastic news. Now I can enjoy this 7-2 beatdown of the Los Angeles Punks.

Rittich’s accomplishment is pretty great, but the fact we haven’t had a goalie break 30 wins in over half a decade is a pretty sad fact. Hoping Rittich is the guy.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Rittich’s accomplishment is pretty great, but the fact we haven’t had a goalie break 30 wins in over half a decade is a pretty sad fact. Hoping Rittich is the guy.

I think some of that is by design. Maybe Hiller hits 30 wins in 2014-15 instead of us a tandem, and then Hiller isn't as strong as he was for us in the Canucks series that we won in strong part to his play.

Same this year, maybe Rittich could have hit 40 wins this season if we didn't try like crazy to get Smith going. But now we DO have Smith going! But there's no doubt in my mind that Smith has had quite a few chintzy wins over the last four months. I'd rather have our situation in net with two goalies who look more than solid heading into the playoffs, than be the Knights who rode their starter to death.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Also, last year we finished the season with a 37-35-10 record for 84 points. I'm going to want to compare this to this years totals and how that translates to other great turnarounds in history. Beyond amazing so far.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Pretty impressive depth when you sit your top 4 and most of your 2nd line. Wow, I am beyond impressed with the last two games. So glad to see Monahan rounding back into his usual form. Is James Neal actually going to heat up for the playoffs?! My interest is officially peaked, this is very exciting!

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Kipper's win % in 05/06: 0.568
Rittich's win % this season: 0.614

With more goal support, Kipper's win% would be higher, considering 11 otl.

I'm still not convinced BSD is the second coming, but it's nice to see a home grown goalie do something for a change.

Reactions: Nanuuk

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Yeah... Mike Smith almost broke that record this year as well. :laugh:
edit: Not to diss Rittich or anything, he's done a great job.

Interesting glowing praise of Smith's puckhandling here:
Winning Play: Mike Smith controls the game

Anyways it's crazy Rittich has the record he does at age 26. While goalie development is not necessarily linear, it should be noted that Mike Smith broke out at the same age, and still wasn't a 60+ game starter until he was 29. Kiprusoff was still a bubble player in the AHL at age 27 when we traded for him and the rest is history. If Rittich even wins one playoff round in the NHL he'll be ahead in trajectory of either of these Olympians.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
10 days until the playoffs start

f***

Can't it just start now. :( It's so odd not having to worry about the last couple games of the season because you've already clinched everything you can (aside from Presidents trophy obviously).

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
With a line-up full of 3rd pairing defensmen and Johnny and Mony getting 4th line minutes the Flames still dominated the Kings. Doughty and Quick both looked like beaten horses.

Jankowski and Ryan both had stellar games and it bodes well if Neil can keep things moving forward. Stone and Kylington were the only d-men I really questioned last night though it took all of them a period to get accustomed to their role and minutes.

Stone is far from being at game speed and Kylington's lapses at the wrong time are still there. If the Kings were not so dejected both could have been exploited huge. IMO Prout (For physical games), Valimaki and Fantenberg are the only real options in the post season.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
With a line-up full of 3rd pairing defensmen and Johnny and Mony getting 4th line minutes the Flames still dominated the Kings. Doughty and Quick both looked like beaten horses.

Jankowski and Ryan both had stellar games and it bodes well if Neil can keep things moving forward. Stone and Kylington were the only d-men I really questioned last night though it took all of them a period to get accustomed to their role and minutes.

Stone is far from being at game speed and Kylington's lapses at the wrong time are still there. If the Kings were not so dejected both could have been exploited huge. IMO Prout (For physical games), Valimaki and Fantenberg are the only real options in the post season.

I do agree that Kylington still has his lapses, high probability we see Fanta in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad