Speculation: Yzerman scouting the Senators?

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Stevie Y was spotted in a press box at the Panthers/Sens game last night (March 3). Detroit last played on March 1, a home game. Detroit is playing in Tampa tonight (March 4) and then playing at Florida tomorrow (March 5). So he specifically traveled to Ft. Lauderdale while the rest of the team was either in Tampa or still in Michigan to watch the game--even though he'll be playing the Panthers on Saturday anyway.

As far as I know, scouts are always at games, but GMs certainly are not. Detroit probably isn't looking to add at the TDL for a playoff push, so what do we think was going on?

Or maybe he's taking a hard look at somebody on the Panthers and wanted a two game sample?

The Wings still have two more games to play against both the Sens and Panthers after this weekend.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
From a Panthers perspective, Montour and Hornqvist are likely candidates to be cap dumped this summer, so maybe there have been preliminary discussions between Zito and Yzerman.

But if he was looking at a Panther, I'd guess he wants to see as much of Mason Marchment as possible. He's a pending UFA who was a minor leaguer two years ago, established himself as a bottom 6er this season, and now is having a career year. Maybe Yzerman is considering aggressively pursuing Marchment this summer and wants to make sure that he's not making a mistake.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Even if we were interested in Leddy, nobody on our roster last night would go in a trade for him.
Maybe Vatrano and a pick if Yzerman wanted to extend Vatrano, but none of our other 17 skaters from last night are being moved before the deadline.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Florida will have about $3,845,014 in cap space at the deadline so Nick Leddy with retention would be a viable option without a cap dump coming back. Of course Detroit would likely be open to taking a contract back to facilitate a decent deal.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Hard to see Detroit/Ottawa as good trading partners given they're in a similar phase right now of a rebuild. Branny for Zadina would be interesting I guess, but I expect both teams would be disappointed with the return.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I think Zadina would work well with Stutzle. Or better than anyone we currently have.

Dynamic playmaker with a dynamic shooter.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
This could be Yzerman doing his due diligence on Colin White. Yzerman likes to go after younger guys he thinks could find another gear in a bigger or different role if he can get them cheap - Erne, Suter, Ned, Stephens, Vrana, Fabbri. It doesn’t always work out but you can always see the reasoning behind it. White fits that mold and he can play center. Detroit needs centers. White just turned 25, so he fits in with Detroit’s timeline. And all things considered, he definitely wouldn’t cost much to acquire.

Ultimately, I doubt White made enough of an impression on Yzerman for him to take on that contract, and I can’t see Ottawa retaining to move White, but I could see why Yzerman would try to find out if there’s a 50 point center hiding inside White’s game.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
did injuries happen?

Cuz he had a pretty decent shot from what I remember, even for the NHL level.

His shot itself is above average but his shot placement and timing are annoyingly bad. So many shots blocked cause he takes too long to get the shot off or shots wasted cause he puts it right into the goalie or misses altogether. He’s a surprisingly solid player in a lot of other ways but his knack for scoring is thus far non-existent.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
This could be Yzerman doing his due diligence on Colin White. Yzerman likes to go after younger guys he thinks could find another gear in a bigger or different role if he can get them cheap - Erne, Suter, Ned, Stephens, Vrana, Fabbri. It doesn’t always work out but you can always see the reasoning behind it. White fits that mold and he can play center. Detroit needs centers. White just turned 25, so he fits in with Detroit’s timeline. And all things considered, he definitely wouldn’t cost much to acquire.

Ultimately, I doubt White made enough of an impression on Yzerman for him to take on that contract, and I can’t see Ottawa retaining to move White, but I could see why Yzerman would try to find out if there’s a 50 point center hiding inside White’s game.

A trade like that wouldn't seem to make much sense for Detroit at this time. Yzerman should have numerous options in free agency or via trade this offseason to acquire a better C than White. If they struck out on all their offseason targets then maybe you'd look at this type of deal. Even still, is White really that much of an upgrade on Suter if at all?...Veleno is starting to come on a bit and should be plenty capable of handling 3C duties next year. Would like to see Yzerman be more selective at this point, targeting high end players/assets, instead of just accumulating more bodies

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Horny isn’t going anywhere, I don’t get why Panther fans keep bringing this up, I understand the cap gets tight after this season and he’s a supposed “obvious choice,” but he was Zito’s first trade, is HUGE in the room (which is why he was brought in), and he has a modified NTC. He ain’t going to a team he doesn’t think he can win at imo.

Same is likely true with Montour as he was just re-signed, but I wouldn’t be as surprised if he was moved out.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I would definitely be interested in Zadina.

I'd be interested in Zadina, too, but trading Brown for a non-proven NHLer, be it a top 4 D or top 6 F, is a disaster waiting to happen. Hell, even with Brown we need another top 4 D and top 6 F.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Horny isn’t going anywhere, I don’t get why Panther fans keep bringing this up, I understand the cap gets tight after this season and he’s a supposed “obvious choice,” but he was Zito’s first trade, is HUGE in the room (which is why he was brought in), and he has a modified NTC. He ain’t going to a team he doesn’t think he can win at imo.

Same is likely true with Montour as he was just re-signed, but I wouldn’t be as surprised if he was moved out.

As a Wings fan I am with you. Horny is not the type of guy you move when you are trying to gear up for a long playoff run.

Reactions: Laus723

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad