New York, NY
Kypreos has burned us before...

Haugi37.png

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009

Haugi37.png

Players also use media for their own agenda. "Don't want to pay Parise? Fine. Hey agent, get a narrative out there that I'm leaning towards somewhere else. Maybe a big brand team like the Red Wings." Not saying that's what happened of course.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

Haugi37.png

If my recollection is correct, he was leaning Wings, right? Like that was truthful.

But then Parise called him up and said the Wild will pay them both $100 million and we'll... That's that.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
If my recollection is correct, he was leaning Wings, right? Like that was truthful.

But then Parise called him up and said the Wild will pay them both $100 million and we'll... That's that.

Actually I found the full breakdown of events in the Star Tribune.

Wild's 72 hours of pursuit, anxiety and elation

"The first two days were extremely stressful," General Manager Chuck Fletcher said. "I remember thinking well into July 2, 'We're out, we're done, we're dead in the water, we've got to make a trade.' I didn't have any feeling that we were a favorite or on the map. I felt we weren't there."

But suddenly, late Monday into Tuesday, there was traction. Things progressed, then accelerated in a hurry. Nothing was for sure, but the Wild was told that Parise and Suter were talking and leaning toward playing for the same team.

The Wild was on their radar.

[...]

Late Monday afternoon, 36 hours in, Parise said to Arnott: "You know what? I think now's the juncture I'd like to really check in with [Suter] and see what he's thinking."

You see, all along Suter was intrigued about playing for the Wild. By this point, Parise was sold, too, but only in a package deal with Suter.
So Tuesday morning, Leipold, Fletcher and coach Mike Yeo boarded a plane in St. Paul, picked up Sheehy in International Falls, and flew to Madison, Wis., to meet face-to-face with Suter.

Suter was receptive. The Wild flew back to Minnesota optimistic.

Suter and Parise spoke, and late Tuesday night Fletcher got the call he wanted.

It was Arnott. Both players would accept identical contracts. It was Parise's idea.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Thanks to ya boy Kenny Holland doing Bowman a massive favor this clears the cap space to go after Seth and reunite the brothers in Chicago. :thumbd:

Fear

Nov 17, 2014
The last contract we have to shed is Nielsen and hopefully he develops an equipment allergy this offseason. That's the last of Holland's gifts remaining.

I really think that we can go from 5th worst to 18th or better if we make some really shrewd moves in free agency and from trades. There is a possibility we could be the 3rd or 4th best team in the Atlantic division with some luck and good moves.

Boston - Decline. Some players are getting pretty old and their defense is a lot thinner than it used to be.
Toronto - Decline. I'm expecting heads to roll either during the 2021-22 season or after. Their problems seem cultural amongst the players.
Tampa - Decline, depending on who they lose in expansion. Plus Killorn is hurt and Hedman probably needs foot surgery.
Florida - Stay the same. They have enough cap to sign their FAs and maintain the course but it's hard to improve on what they did last season.
Montreal - Decline. They were a great cinderella story but I don't think they're a playoff team under normal circumstances.
Buffalo - Decline. I'll just leave it at that.
Ottawa - Rise. Their young guys were looking pretty good. Once they improve team defense they could be nasty.

There will be a lot more points up for grabs within the division.

So Toronto is in some horrible death spiral but its hard to improve on what Florida did? Whats the difference, other than Toronto's core players being a couple years younger?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
So Toronto is in some horrible death spiral but its hard to improve on what Florida did? Whats the difference, other than Toronto's core players being a couple years younger?

A decline doesn't mean horrible death spiral. It means less points than last year. Toronto is about to lose Hyman and there's no guarantee they can get an adequate replacement for him in their top 6. Their bottom 6 is probably going to be worse if they lose Thornton. Their defense is still overall not great, and there's no guarantee about their goaltending being good enough.

And Florida improving will be difficult. They had a really good season which will be hard to surpass. Their 0.705 win percentage last season averages out to about 115.62 points over an 82 game season. That is really, really good. It's rare for a team to be able to keep that up over 2 consecutive seasons.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Florida thing is obviously tough but you can't compare shoetened season pts% for normal seasons. They will regress from statistical numbers, but so will others. Relatively they will be fine.

Florida is really getting better. Sam Bennet scored 1.5point per game in a 2nd line with Huberdeau. And they also did this without injured Ekblad for later part of the season. Barkov has finally catched the domination level.

An Spencer Knight is the most talented goalie prospect entering NHL. They have great prospect in Denisenko and Lundell coming up. It will be a great team.

TBL,BOS,FLO,TOR will be the most probable teams form Atlantic to playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad