Yzerman in on Seth Jones?

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
Red Wings Weekly Review: Trade Rumors & Yzerman’s Blueprint

I don't know who these writers are, but supposedly an "exec" has said Yzerman is in on Seth Jones. Jones has a 10 team no trade list, so I can't imagine Jones would agree to come here. But I wonder if we could be retaining for a team like Colorado or Chicago similar to what we did with Savard. Throw a 2nd rounder our way!

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Red Wings Weekly Review: Trade Rumors & Yzerman’s Blueprint

I don't know who these writers are, but supposedly an "exec" has said Yzerman is in on Seth Jones. Jones has a 10 team no trade list, so I can't imagine Jones would agree to come here. But I wonder if we could be retaining for a team like Colorado or Chicago similar to what we did with Savard. Throw a 2nd rounder our way!
OctTh is usually a lot of speculation/wishful thinking. It was probably SY doing due diligence on Jones. CHI has cap & is supposedly jettisoning Keith.

Red Wings Could Target Cap-Strapped Teams For a Defenseman

(I like the Skjei idea if he's at/near capdump steal price)

Exerpt:

Kevin Allen suggested calling the St. Louis Blues about defenseman Vince Dunn. He also pointed out the Pittsburgh Penguins, Carolina Hurricanes and Minnesota Wild could also move a rearguard for salary cap or expansion draft reasons.

A restricted free agent with arbitration rights coming off a one-year, $1.875-million contract, the 24-year-old Dunn will seek a lucrative deal this summer. With $17.3 million in cap space and Jaden Schwartz, Robert Thomas and Jordan Kyrou among their free agents, Dunn could become expendable. He frequently surfaced in trade speculation during the regular season.
Other targets could include the Hurricanes' Brady Skjei, the Penguins' Marcus Petterssen or Mike Matheson, or the Wild's Matt Dumba or Carson Soucy.

more fluff:
Red Wings Could Have $27 Million in Cap Space After RFAs Are Signed

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
OctTh is usually a lot of speculation/wishful thinking. It was probably SY doing due diligence on Jones. CHI has cap & is supposedly jettisoning Keith.

Red Wings Could Target Cap-Strapped Teams For a Defenseman

(I like the Skjei idea if he's at/near capdump steal price)

Exerpt:

Kevin Allen suggested calling the St. Louis Blues about defenseman Vince Dunn. He also pointed out the Pittsburgh Penguins, Carolina Hurricanes and Minnesota Wild could also move a rearguard for salary cap or expansion draft reasons.

A restricted free agent with arbitration rights coming off a one-year, $1.875-million contract, the 24-year-old Dunn will seek a lucrative deal this summer. With $17.3 million in cap space and Jaden Schwartz, Robert Thomas and Jordan Kyrou among their free agents, Dunn could become expendable. He frequently surfaced in trade speculation during the regular season.
Other targets could include the Hurricanes' Brady Skjei, the Penguins' Marcus Petterssen or Mike Matheson, or the Wild's Matt Dumba or Carson Soucy.

more fluff:
Red Wings Could Have $27 Million in Cap Space After RFAs Are Signed
Both articles mention buying out Weird Flip, which obviously would be pointless. Kinda ruins their credibility for me.

I don't see Panik getting bought out either, he's a warm body to fill the roster until the kids are ready.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Is it Seth Jones that has the huge disparity between the Eye Test and the Analytics? Or was that another CBJ defenseman?

Jon Cusack

Oct 28, 2011
Is it Seth Jones that has the huge disparity between the Eye Test and the Analytics? Or was that another CBJ defenseman?
Yes it is Jones. His #s were very strong but took a nose dive in recent years. Werenski remains elite tho so hopefully he signs back here

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Brady Skjei sounds good to me.
Even if I can't pronounce it or spell it the same way twice.
There are teams out there that have too many defensemen and need to do something.

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018

You should rewatch some of the Red Wings vs Blue Jackets games from this season, even though the Wings were one of the worst offensive teams in the league, they lit up Jones in his own end for 6 out of the 8 games this year. He absolutely did not pass the eye test whatsoever.

He always had a better reputation than he deserved (especially offensively), but he seriously took a nosedive defensively this season in all areas.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
You should rewatch some of the Red Wings vs Blue Jackets games from this season, even though the Wings were one of the worst offensive teams in the league, they lit up Jones in his own end for 6 out of the 8 games this year. He absolutely did not pass the eye test whatsoever.

He always had a better reputation than he deserved (especially offensively), but he seriously took a nosedive defensively this season in all areas.

I think people give Seth Jones more credit than he deserves, especially the last 2 seasons. He's the Shea Weber in the Shea Weber/Ryan Suter pairing. Zach Werenski deserves a lot more praise than he gets and I can't wait for him to become a Red Wing.

That said, I can't see Yzerman trading for Jones unless it's something like the David Savard trade where we facilitate.

DET to CBJ: Joe Hicketts for Seth Jones, 25% retained
DET to Team X: Seth Jones to team X for a 2nd round pick, 25% retained
Team X to CBJ: 1st round pick for Joe Hickets from team X.

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018
I think people give Seth Jones more credit than he deserves, especially the last 2 seasons. He's the Shea Weber in the Shea Weber/Ryan Suter pairing. Zach Werenski deserves a lot more praise than he gets and I can't wait for him to become a Red Wing.

That said, I can't see Yzerman trading for Jones unless it's something like the David Savard trade where we facilitate.

DET to CBJ: Joe Hicketts for Seth Jones, 25% retained
DET to Team X: Seth Jones to team X for a 2nd round pick, 25% retained
Team X to CBJ: 1st round pick for Joe Hickets from team X.

Well it really wasn't until this season where he completely tanked defensively, but he still didn't really deserve the "top 5 defenseman in the league" reputation he was getting before this year.

Werenski is a lot better, agreed. And I wouldn't mind getting another pick for a small retention like that trade either.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Well it really wasn't until this season where he completely tanked defensively, but he still didn't really deserve the "top 5 defenseman in the league" reputation he was getting before this year.

Werenski is a lot better, agreed. And I wouldn't mind getting another pick for a small retention like that trade either.

Seth Jones deserved a Norris Trophy in 2017-18 in my opinion, so yeah he deserved to be talked about as a top 5 defenseman for a moment in time

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Now this is the kind of name I want to see I also think Yzerman looks back at the 2013 draft with some regret. Wouldn't be surprised if he is extra gunning for this name.

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
Right now, I'm actually trying to figure out how best to screen-shot this whole page, and archive that image so that I can readily find it again in 3 years, when Seth Jones is skating around a rink somewhere with the Stanley Cup after winning the Norris and Conn Smythe, and I can rub this in your faces and shame you all so deeply that your grandchildren 40 years hence will feel an inexplicable flush.

I don't want to give up much for him because he has only one year left on his contract, but I would absolutely love to have this guy on our team, if we could sign him for 4 or 5 years. Yep, he had a shit year, on a shit team. This guy's going to reclaim his form and some GM is going to look like a genius.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
If Yzerman uses the cap space, and I think he will, it won't be for SJ. Picks and prospects.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia

Not sure how much you can read into those games, their whole team was visibly dogging it and GDTs were full of people musing that they looked like they'd stopped playing for Tortorella and were trying to get him canned.

How were his fancystats prior to this season?

bearball

Sep 11, 2019
Milton Keynes, UK
I would much rather be in on Vince Dunn, think that is a nice sensible bit of business waiting to be done. Market for those kinds of deals has already been set as well and it is definitely affordable for us.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Zach Werenski deserves a lot more praise than he gets and I can't wait for him to become a Red Wing.
If Seider has an even halfway decent rookie season this year, and Werenski joins next year, it's absolutely insane how much that will help the entire roster. Like, many fans just don't understand the boost that would provide (on both sides of the puck). I'd be doing "we got Hasek in 2002" type cartwheels.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
If Seider has an even halfway decent rookie season this year, and Werenski joins next year, it's absolutely insane how much that will help the entire roster. Like, many fans just don't understand the boost that would provide (on both sides of the puck). I'd be doing "we got Hasek in 2002" type cartwheels.

Well, it probably won't be for a minute. Werenski is an RFA when his contract is up.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Trading for Jones is a move that would signal coming out of the rebuild, not sure we're ready for that yet but it would be exciting if Yzerman thinks we are.

The Werenski delusion needs to chill, he'll be an RFA when his contract ends and its wild how many people just assume he's a guaranteed Red Wing (yes I've seen the intermission videos of him eating dinner with Larks).

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Trading for Jones is a move that would signal coming out of the rebuild, not sure we're ready for that yet but it would be exciting if Yzerman thinks we are.

The Werenski delusion needs to chill, he'll be an RFA when his contract ends and its wild how many people just assume he's a guaranteed Red Wing (yes I've seen the intermission videos of him eating dinner with Larks).

But did you see how good of a time they had?

Reactions: ThankGord

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad