Proposal: Yzerman faces off against Sakic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
As much as I like Mantha as a player, newhook and annunen look legit and are what we need in the future in terms of ELC guys. Mantha is due for a payday despite struggling to stay healthy

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
As much as I like Mantha as a player, newhook and annunen look legit and are what we need in the future in terms of ELC guys. Mantha is due for a payday despite struggling to stay healthy

Yeah - but at some point, you've got to go all-in right? I know it's not the 90s anymore, when the Wings and Avs traded picks/prospects every year. But at some point, don't you owe it to the fans to go for it?

Reactions: Avaholic29

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Yeah - but at some point, you've got to go all-in right? I know it's not the 90s anymore, when the Wings and Avs traded picks/prospects every year. But at some point, don't you owe it to the fans to go for it?

Avs are still a few years away from going for the cup, by the time they're ready Byram and Newhook will be 2D and 2C on their roster

Reactions: 63 others

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

Yeah at some point. You realize the Avs are among the youngest teams in the league and certainly the youngest of the teams that look at themselves as somewhat of a contender. We also own what just might be the best prospect (atleast on D) drafted that is not currently in the NHL as well as a guy like Newhook who right now looks beastly as well as a ton of other prospect depth that looks somewhat promising. Our franchise player is also locked up to a riduculously cheap contract for 3+ more years. We also have a crapton of capspace.
Oh and our D is anchored by a 21 year old rookie right now. And another 21 year old dude is playing major minutes on our blueline.

So yeah. Its really not the time to go all-in for the Avs this season...

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Yeah at some point. You realize the Avs are among the youngest teams in the league and certainly the youngest of the teams that look at themselves as somewhat of a contender. We also own what just might be the best prospect (atleast on D) drafted that is not currently in the NHL as well as a guy like Newhook who right now looks beastly as well as a ton of other prospect depth that looks somewhat promising. Our franchise player is also locked up to a riduculously cheap contract for 3+ more years. We also have a crapton of capspace.
Oh and our D is anchored by a 21 year old rookie right now. And another 21 year old dude is playing major minutes on our blueline.

So yeah. Its really not the time to go all-in for the Avs this season...

I'd do that if I were the Avs for sure. Mantha is young and can grow with that group.

Reactions: MBH

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I'd do that if I were the Avs for sure. Mantha is young and can grow with that group.

Avs already have committed big money to a winger in Rantanen and are probably not letting their captain walk out the door anytime soon and he is also due for a raise. The next "core players" aside from EJ (who already has fallen down the depth chart) will be Kadri and quite likely Grubauer (he is picking up a ton of injuries this year and is only under contract for another year). Newhook and Annunen are the only potential replacements the Avs have for them in their pipeline. And by then the cap will be tight for the Avs. Mantha is great but the Avs can't afford to give up a package like that and sign him to a huge extension.

The only thing the Avs really need right now is patience. Hopefeully Joe stays true to himself and does not make a major deal right now.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Avs already have committed big money to a winger in Rantanen and are probably not letting their captain walk out the door anytime soon and he is also due for a raise. The next "core players" aside from EJ (who already has fallen down the depth chart) will be Kadri and quite likely Grubauer (he is picking up a ton of injuries this year and is only under contract for another year). Newhook and Annunen are the only potential replacements the Avs have for them in their pipeline. And by then the cap will be tight for the Avs. Mantha is great but the Avs can't afford to give up a package like that and sign him to a huge extension.

The only thing the Avs really need right now is patience. Hopefeully Joe stays true to himself and does not make a major deal right now.

Patience? Your window could be thus year and next. It's definitely probably in the next 3 years. Once Mackinnon gets paid... well, ask Chicago about that.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

Francouz look legit to me. Mantha is a big upgrade on Newhook obviously. With Byrum and Timmins coming up I'd think the Avalanche can save some cash on the back end for years. I don't think patience is a bad thing but the Avs win that trade easily IMO. You also never know with goalies, he's in the Liga too not a top end league, so if i'm the Avs with two good young goalies I'm not scared to part with a goalie and a forward prospect to get a 1st liner. Just my opinion.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Mantha isn't really available but that wouldn't be enough

AA possible tho with Rantanen injury. Could see something like AA + Glendening for Jost + 1st

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Both teams say no.

Depending on who you talk to Mantha is or is not available.

Newhook is surely not available and I doubt Col is looking to move JA.

Trades are more just random names thrown in a hat, you need to understand where each team is at, what they can move and why they might move those pieces.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Patience? Your window could be thus year and next. It's definitely probably in the next 3 years. Once Mackinnon gets paid... well, ask Chicago about that.
´
Thats garbage. Avs window certainly should be open longer than the next 15 months. If that is the case, something seriously went wrong.
Especially given that the likes of Annunen, Newhook and Byram should offset somewhat the huge raise Mac is due. So the cap shouldn't be a huge issue unless Sakic does something stupid like give up a boatload for another winger that wants a huge deal in the near future...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad