Speculation: Yzerman drafting defenceman?

Would Yzerman draft defenceman at #8 ?

• Yes - if it's Jiricek or Nemec.

Votes: 47 87.0%
  • No - he'll pick a winger like Lambert, Kemell, Lekkerimäki, Gauthier

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • No - he will trade down, and draft lower-ranked Center like Geekie/Östlund

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • No - he'll try to trade up for a Center.

Votes: 3 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
So what if,

all the Centers we like are gone at #8 pick and Jiricek or Nemec are still there?

Would you think Yzerman goes after RhD instead of a winger ?

IF

1. Wright
2. Slafkovsky
3. Cooley
4. Savoie
5. one of Jiricek or Nemec
6. Kasper
7. Nazar
------------
8. DET ?

Last edited:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I mean it could be one of the Defensemen sure

not sure why we're just assuming that Yzerman sees Gauthier as a Winger though when it's been reported that some teams see him as a Center

Reactions: David D

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I mean it could be one of the Defensemen sure

not sure why we're just assuming that Yzerman sees Gauthier as a Winger though when it's been reported that some teams see him as a Center

It's tough to assume all the things we don't know shit about things. Especially about Yzerman.

Just too many variables.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
When looking at the 2023 draft, it seems to be very forward heavy.

If we will push this forward/center idea further, defencenman at 2022 would still be option in bigger picture and 2023 is forward draft.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
So what if,

all the Center we like are gone at #8 pick and Jiricek or Nemec are still there?

IF

1. Wright
2. Slafkovsky
3. Cooley
4. Savoie
6. Kasper
7. Nazar
------------
8. DET ?

You're missing a "stand pat and draft a center" option. I don't think either Nemec or Jiricek is worth a team trading up to 8 for, and I don't know what teams would consider doing so aside from maybe Buffalo (1 spot).

In this scenario I shoot for Cutter Gauthier and hope he can become power center, or Marco Kasper and hope he can become a Selke contender.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Id be thrilled if this situation plays out and yzerman has his choice of Gauthier or Jiricek/Nemec.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
So what if,

all the Center we like are gone at #8 pick and Jiricek or Nemec are still there?

IF

1. Wright
2. Slafkovsky
3. Cooley
4. Savoie
6. Kasper
7. Nazar
------------
8. DET ?
If one of Jiricek or Nemec is available you shouldn't even think about it.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
If we draft Nemec or Jiricek I'd trade Hronek for late teens , if it is possible , draft pick and get one of Lambert, Kulich or Ohgren

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Would gladly take Geekie or Gauthier in this hypothetical.

Could see them going Jiricek if he’s left, though. I think Nemec is going top 5 with how he ended the year. Also would not be shocked if they picked Mintyukov.

Reactions: Rzombo4 prez

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
All year I've been skeptical of Jiricek. I just don't like his skating and his tendency to throw long suicide passes or passes to nothing. It hit's every once in a while and you go wow look at that pass! But most of the time it leads to a turnover. He is very physically engaged, but it's hard to do that at the NHL level when you're skating is bad. He doesn't push outwards to generate power, instead his stride looks choppy. Of course, he had the knee(?) surgery, so for my limited later in the year viewings I'll cut him some slack.
He's still the third best defenseman in the draft for me, mostly with the hope of him fixing his skating and becoming a physical defensive dman with a booming shot. I'd take Nemec and Mintyukov over him.

Reactions: simonedvinsson

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
I think the odds that Yzerman drafts a defenseman or a winger are pretty decent - certainly higher than people are giving credit. We're all on board this "BPA so long as he's a center" train, but I wouldn't bat an eye if Yzerman goes with Joakim Kemell, Liam Bichsel, or a "falling defenseman".

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Centers (and players with potential to be centers) definitely seem to be the most coveted in drafts these recent years. Honestly wouldn't surprise me.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
The pick needs to be a center, this team has no options in the system behind Larkin, who we have no idea if he will be 2021-22 Larkin or 2020-21 Larkin next year or if he will stay healthy. And the options in UFA are either going to be overpaid for most of their contract, or aren't likely to maintain their production on the Wings.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
What I've learned this 2022 is a good Center draft (as well as D), but that 2023 could be also as good for Centers, but there's not at all defencemen. Maybe some lucky late rounders, but the 1st round material seems to be poor.

So if you really want to build you D-corps ready, you should still take a D at 2022, and go after a Center at 2023.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Stock up elite defensemen. Can't have too many top pairing dmen. If we get too many good ones, think about the return a young Seider for example could bring on the trade market.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
What I've learned this 2022 is a good Center draft (as well as D), but that 2023 could be also as good for Centers, but there's not at all defencemen. Maybe some lucky late rounders, but the 1st round material seems to be poor.

So if you really want to build you D-corps ready, you should still take a D at 2022, and go after a Center at 2023.
A lot of the defenseman after the top 2, have a lot question marks.

2023 is a better draft...grab picks in this draft through trades.

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
Stevie and company have their board and don't go by national publications so they will stick to it. If the highest on their list is a defenceman then they will take one and vice versa. Don't see him moving from his spot though. And so far, he's doing a bang up job. I'm not going to guess this one, just trust him.

Rolo Tomassi

May 6, 2010
If their board gets blown up and their guy isn’t around at 8, I’d absolutely be on board with them trading back to the teens (hopefully to acquire an additional high second rounder) and taking a player like Ostlund, who could turn out to be just as good as some of the centers picked in the top 10 anyhow. This would allow us another chance to add center depth in round 2, or perhaps a LHD. Just my 2 cents…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad