News Article: Yvan Cournoyer talks about Habs captaincy

Asamu

Aug 24, 2010
Saguenay
That is quite an article by Dave Stubbs from The Gazette. Yvan Cournoyer talks about Habs captaincy througout the years. He said that he met great ones in Jean Béliveau and Henry Richard. He was also captain himself for 4 years.

Simply Click Here

Near the end of the article it says: Should the Habs elect Markov their 29th captain, and should the Russian defenceman finish his career in Montreal? He would join an elite group who have played their every NHL game for the Canadiens.

Discuss.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Wow hes not saying much. He seems pretty detached from whats going on with hockey right now. Cant blame him.

The captaincy, Cournoyer says, should be decided by the players, not a management appointment.

Cournoyer was elected Canadiens captain in a secret vote among players, coach Scotty Bowman handing each a blank piece of paper on the first day of training camp in 1975.

All you need to know.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
This captain talk is interesting...really curious to see who gets it.

The choice for me seems obvious, it should be PK Subban...but it seems there's a lot of trepidation and uneasiness about handing him the captaincy.

I can't help but wonder if that's just people's own fear coming to the surface. I don't think there's anyone else on the team who represents the Habs as well as Subban does.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven

The choice for me seems obvious, it should be PK Subban...but it seems there's a lot of trepidation and uneasiness about handing him the captaincy.

I can't help but wonder if that's just people's own fear coming to the surface. I don't think there's anyone else on the team who represents the Habs as well as Subban does.

I can't think of anyone who should get the appointment right now. I think Pacioretty should be the one talking to officials this season, but that the C should be awarded to whoever gives the best example next season.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I can't think of anyone who should get the appointment right now. I think Pacioretty should be the one talking to officials this season, but that the C should be awarded to whoever gives the best example next season.

I don't know...first of all, I think having the C on one's jersey is more ceremonial more than anything. Leadership always comes from a group of players.

However, when I think of a captain, I think of a guy who leads by example, especially in critical times and is there a better 'big game' player than Subban on the Habs right now.

He's always been at his best the bigger the stage (performance vs. Rangers this year notwithstanding)

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
We could definitely make a case for PK Subban.

But yeah, at the moment Markov is the best choice.

Indeed. Subban needs to focus on hockey, give him an A and it's perfect. Markov has seen it all, is a life long Habs, suffered from heavy media pressure from his knee injuries without collapsing under pressure like Brisebois or Malakhov, made Komisarek a beast, has a head on his shoulders and has more talent than Plekanec. To me Markov is the clear cut choice.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
Why not Bouillon? The guy's a warrior and it will give time for Subban to mature.

nicolas-cage-laughing.gif

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

That would be Carey Price, but he's not elligible.

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
If players are voting, it's most likely going to be Andrei Markov I think.

If the players vote it will be Subban, followed by Plekanec and than Gallagher.

Markov does not want captaincy nor would the players (barring Pacio and DD vote for him).

There is a divide in the room.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Markov's the best choice, but apparently he doesn't want it. I heard Plekanec doesn't want it either. My guess is Subban even though I think a year or two should pass before he's captain.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
That is quite an article by Dave Stubbs from The Gazette. Yvan Cournoyer talks about Habs captaincy througout the years. He said that he met great ones in Jean Béliveau and Henry Richard. He was also captain himself for 4 years.

Simply Click Here

Near the end of the article it says: Should the Habs elect Markov their 29th captain, and should the Russian defenceman finish his career in Montreal? He would join an elite group who have played their every NHL game for the Canadiens.

Discuss.

Funny thing is that those captains, including Yvan are autographed pictures on my wall of Hab captains, all of which won SC Championships as Captains.:handclap::handclap::handclap:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
If the players vote it will be Subban, followed by Plekanec and than Gallagher.

Markov does not want captaincy nor would the players (barring Pacio and DD vote for him).

There is a divide in the room.

What the *** ?

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
What the *** ?

Yeah... divide in the room! :scared:

Actually, this is the first time since forever that we seem to have a very tight group with great leadership and a "team first" attitude.

All the guys who were asked about captaincy said the same thing: this team has plenty of leadership and it doesn't matter much who actually gets the letter. Everybody will follow.

PricePkPatch*

Yeah... divide in the room! :scared:

Actually, this is the first time since forever that we seem to have a very tight group with great leadership and a "team first" attitude.

All the guys who were asked about captaincy said the same thing: this team has plenty of leadership and it doesn't matter much who actually gets the letter. Everybody will follow.

The best leaders know how to follow.

You need more than a General. You need the Lieutenant, and the Sarge. All leaders in their own ways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad