Salary Cap: You've never heard of the HFBoard Pens? It did the Kessel Run in 982 posts Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Richards isn't lacking motivation, his knees and shoulders are shot. Guys his size that play that style tend to not last as long into their 30's.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Richards wasn't that great a skater to begin with so slowing down was never going to be good for him.

Callista Rhian

Dec 27, 2014
Land of Ice & Snow
Richards isn't lacking motivation, his knees and shoulders are shot. Guys his size that play that style tend to not last as long into their 30's.

It really is a pity. Dude was great to watch; I actually really like him and Carts.

******* that he has to deal with this **** again (**** Holmgren forever). I actually had tears in my eyes when I found out that he'd been successfully sent down.

I wonder if he could learn to change his style of play?

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
It really is a pity. Dude was great to watch; I actually really like him and Carts.

******* that he has to deal with this **** again (**** Holmgren forever). I actually had tears in my eyes when I found out that he'd been successfully sent down.

I wonder if he could learn to change his style of play?

I don't know, his kind of "win at all costs" style without regard to his body was a big part of what made him as successful as he was. I'm sure he's still a very smart player, but so is Scuderi, it doesn't mean much if you can't keep up.

Vyruz Reaper

Oct 4, 2005
Sunny SoCal
Uh, no. Kessel's locked up for the next seven years; in no way would trading for him be comparable to trading for rentals or 1 year deals.

Also, Kessel is a true elite winger. On the Pens, he would be guaranteed 70-80 pts per year. Just look at what he's managed on a ****** Leafs team with Bozie as his centre (hint: 0.88 PPG). Also, he hasn't missed a single game in his last five seasons. That kind or durability would be incredible to have on the Pens.

There's no way that any combination of available players you could scrape up for 8 mill would make more of an impact than Kessel.

For this kind of talent? I'd give away KK/Sundqvist, Harry/Dumo, Jarry, and lottery tickets with a smile on my face and joy in my heart.

Edit: And yes, depth is important. But it's basically impossible for us to have a strong, competitive bottom 6 at this point. Shero ****ed us good. Any effort to make the bottom 6 strong would come at the expense of our top 6, and we'd be left with 4 unbalanced, sort of "meh" lines. What we can do is strengthen our top 6 and put together a bottom 6 that won't be a liability and will score some points.

We had a 70-80pt winger at 40% of the price.

However, if we did land Kessel while offloading 2/3 of CK,PD, or RS - then I'd be very happy.

Callista Rhian

Dec 27, 2014
Land of Ice & Snow
I don't know, his kind of "win at all costs" style without regard to his body was a big part of what made him as successful as he was. I'm sure he's still a very smart player, but so is Scuderi, it doesn't mean much if you can't keep up.

It all depends on his training/rehab this offseason, I feel. He needs to learn how to play smarter and how to protect himself better.

It would break my heart if a former captain and two-time Stanley Cup winning player's career had to end so ignominiously.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal

Richards is a figure skater compared to Scuderi lmao.

Callista Rhian

Dec 27, 2014
Land of Ice & Snow
We had a 70-80pt winger at 40% of the price.

However, if we did land Kessel while offloading 2/3 of CK,PD, or RS - then I'd be very happy.

And our darling FO ****ed it up. Again. I do love Horny though, and Spaling, while a bit too expensive, is amazingly versatile and never a weakness.

I'd settle for getting rid of Scuderi, though it would be awesome if we could swap Kunitz for a pick or B/C prospect.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
It all depends on his training/rehab this offseason, I feel. He needs to learn how to play smarter and how to protect himself better.

It would break my heart if a former captain and two-time Stanley Cup winning player's career had to end so ignominiously.

I do actually feel bad for the way his career is headed, although it's hard for me to feel too sorry for a guy that's makes as much as he does and has won championships in the NHL, AHL and internationally. Back in his Flyers days he was one of those players I hated on the the ice but grudgingly respected a ton at the same time.

If LA buys him out, he might be worth kicking the tires on, but his current contract is way too toxic to justify the risk.

ObsessedCreative*

And our darling FO ****ed it up. Again. I do love Horny though, and Spaling, while a bit too expensive, is amazingly versatile and never a weakness.

I'd settle for getting rid of Scuderi, though it would be awesome if we could swap Kunitz for a pick or B/C prospect.

Again, you're 100% wrong. A guy who brings ZERO to this team at that a 2.2 million dollar cap hit is absolutely a weakness. His role could easily be filled by an AHL kid making 500K.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
I do actually feel bad for the way his career is headed, although it's hard for me to feel too sorry for a guy that's makes as much as he does and has won championships in the NHL, AHL and internationally. Back in his Flyers days he was one of those players I hated on the the ice but grudgingly respected a ton at the same time.

If LA buys him out, he might be worth kicking the tires on, but his current contract is way too toxic to justify the risk.

If he becomes a free agent this summer, JR should definitely submit an offer.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Again, you're 100% wrong. A guy who brings ZERO to this team at that a 2.2 million dollar cap hit is absolutely a weakness. His role could easily be filled by an AHL kid making 500K.

Who are the Pens bringing up from WBS that can kill penalties, play all three forward positions effectively and chip in 30 points? Maybe Sundqvist if he takes the next step this year, but outside of him?

Callista Rhian

Dec 27, 2014
Land of Ice & Snow
Youre 100% wrong he did that last year in LA and wouldn't up in the AHL.

HE IS DONE.

Let me be clear - I don't want him on the Pens. He would be a 4th liner at best, and I want the baby Pens to play there.

If he were serious about this, his training this year would be different from last year's. Both the things he needs to work and what he is capable of have changed. A player isn't 100% done until he has a permanent handicap or dead.

I can see where you're coming from, but I have to disagree. A player who isn't a liability doesn't bring "ZERO" to the team; his very lack of mistakes would rank him at a 4/5 on a scale of 10 - neutral. An AHL kid would make mistakes. Spaling won't.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Who are the Pens bringing up from WBS that can kill penalties, play all three forward positions effectively and chip in 30 points? Maybe Sundqvist if he takes the next step this year, but outside of him?

While he isn't an AHL player, he should be making Torrey Mitchell kind of money, not 2.2M.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
OS, like you said, Ebbett, Megna, etc.

Spaling is better than both Ebbett and Megna, I doubt either of those two are capable of putting up 30 points in a bottom six role at this point. Megna also doesn't play very well as a center.

Spaling isn't a personal favorite of mine, he's a pretty vanilla player and is too similar to other bottom six types the Pens have stylistically, but he's pretty far down my list of concerns with the team. He's also only signed through this season, so it's not like they're stuck with him forever.

Last edited:

ObsessedCreative*

Spaling is better than both Ebbett and Megna, I doubt either of those two are capable of putting up 30 points in a bottom six role at this point. Megna also doesn't play very well as a center.

Spaling isn't a personal favorite of mine, he's a pretty vanilla player and is too similar to other bottom six types the Pens have stylistically, but he's pretty far down my list of concerns with the team. He's also only signed through this season, so it's not like they're stuck with him forever.

I'm sorry but if the difference is paying Spalling 2.2 million dollars and MAYBE getting 30 points out of him and Crosby playing with garbage wingers VS using that 1.75ish million savings toward to FINALLY helping land a legit scoring line winger to help win and score goals, I know what option I choose 110/100.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I'm sorry but if the difference is paying Spalling 2.2 million dollars and MAYBE getting 30 points out of him and Crosby playing with garbage wingers VS using that 1.75ish million savings toward to FINALLY helping land a legit scoring line winger to help win and score goals, I know what option I choose 110/100.

Any decent forth liner is going to run you around 1-1.5 million unless they're on an ELC. You brought up Torrey Mitchelll and he's getting paid a million less, but he's also less than half as productive and can't play beyond the 4th line. Spaling isn't the difference in whether or not Crosby or Malkin play with crap or not, he's overpaid by about 700K, but that extra 700k maybe gets you a marginal role player, not a top flight winger. Megna will be making close to a million dollars if he's brought back, so the savings isn't as much as you think.

If Sundqvist shows he's ready this year and maybe a guy like Rust shows he can play on the 4th line full time, Spaling won't be hard to move, either that or you let him walk next summer, problem solved.

ObsessedCreative*

Any decent forth liner is going to run you around 1-1.5 million unless they're on an ELC. You brought up Torrey Mitchelll and he's getting paid a million less, but he's also less than half as productive and can't play beyond the 4th line. Spaling isn't the difference in whether or not Crosby or Malkin play with crap or not, he's overpaid by about 700K, but that extra 700k maybe gets you a marginal role player, not a top flight winger.

If Sundqvist shows he's ready this year and maybe a guy like Rust shows he can play on the 4th line full time, Spaling won't be hard to move, either that or you let him walk next summer, problem solved.

I never brought him up...

And he is absolutely part of the solution so Sid & Geno dont play with crap...

His 1.5-1.75 ish million savings + moving Scudz 3.75 = your top 6 winger.

He is EASILY replaceable and on a cap stepped team it's stupid to have 6 overpaid / non-impact redudnant bottom 6 guys and total **** in the top 6.

He is absolutely one of the MANY problems on this roster.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Why isn't Spaling a serviceable 3rd line center in people's eyes? Only a handful less points than Sutter last year, playing with far lesser linemates at times, and he's not as soft.

Perron - Crosby - Horns
Bennett - Malkin - Kessel
Comeau - Spaling - Dupuis
Wilson - Sundqvist - Rust

Plenty of cap space left over if our bottom 6 needs help, or let it go and have some cap to upgrade the D. Better than last year by a mile either way.

Callista Rhian

Dec 27, 2014
Land of Ice & Snow
Why isn't Spaling a serviceable 3rd line center in people's eyes? Only a handful less points than Sutter last year, playing with far lesser linemates at times, and he's not as soft.

Perron - Crosby - Horns
Bennett - Malkin - Kessel
Comeau - Spaling - Dupuis
Wilson - Sundqvist - Rust

Plenty of cap space left over if our bottom 6 needs help, or let it go and have some cap to upgrade the D. Better than last year by a mile either way.

:dunno:

I think he'd be a perfectly adequate 3C, and he costs 1.1 mill less.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I never brought him up...

And he is absolutely part of the solution so Sid & Geno dont play with crap...

His 1.5-1.75 ish million savings + moving Scudz 3.75 = your top 6 winger.

He is EASILY replaceable and on a cap stepped team it's stupid to have 6 overpaid / non-impact redudnant bottom 6 guys and total **** in the top 6.

He is absolutely one of the MANY problems on this roster.

I got you mixed up with someone else on the Mitchell thing, my apologies.

If you can move him and Scuderi you can maybe land a good winger, but Scuderi is by far the bigger problem in that equation.

Like I said, if you replace Spaling you're likely not looking at huge savings. And I don't know where you're getting 6 overpaid bottom sixers, maybe 2 in Spaling and Dupuis. Sutter makes about what you'd expect a decent 3rd line center to make at this point.

The team has a lot of issues, I don't see Spaling as a huge one or a particularly difficult one to fix if they need to cross that bridge. He could even be tossed into a trade for said top forward if the other team needs a bottom six guy who can do a little of everything. Or he can slide over and play center if Sutter is dealt to give Sundqvist time to get a little more acclimated to NA hockey.

He has his uses, which is more than I can say for Scuderi.

I wouldn't re-sign him, but keeping him here another season isn't the end of the world.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Spaling is as vanilla and forgettable as they come, but he'd be a fine 3C. Absolutely no way in the world he's ideal, but he's not a detriment to the line or anything. And if we have to sacrifice our 3C a bit to put a little more toward surrounding Sid and Geno with legitimate, top-flight talent, so be it. They're this team's key to the Cup, not whomever is our 3C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad