The Players' Tribune: You've Got to Want the Pressure - James Neal

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
No it's not a coincidence. It's called getting old.
He's a year older now than he was in Calgary and still put up another 20.

Im also being half sarcastic here and I understand it wasn't a fit. But I still find it amusing that as soon as he's out of Calgary he goes back to 20 goals.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
He leads the team in hits. Not sure how you can say Lucic isn't physical.

His offence is actually not bad, considering the minutes he's getting. Unlike Neal, Lucic is not getting prime PP time.

The Flames are quite happy with Lucic. I obviously wish he cost half the price, but he's been a very solid contributor. The Flames are looking like a much harder team to play against with Lucic.

Neal literally does nothing when he's not scoring. And he goes through massive streaky points and only seems to score when he's eating up valuable time. When he was on the Flames, he had a streak from Jan-Mar, where he looked good, and worth a fraction of his contract. It finally seemed like he was willing to play.

Then he stank it up so badly in the playoffs, that he actually brings negative value. Yes, he had a streak for the Oilers too, but it's the same deal when he's not tipping in feeds from McDavid, negative contributions.
Let's stop talking like one player is better than the other. All the things you say Neal didn't do in Calgary and he's done in Edmonton.

All the things you say Lucic is doing in Calgary, he didn't do in Edmonton. At the end of the day both teams lose for signing such shitty deals.

The kicker for me is that while Lucic was an Oiler it was universally spoken here how his contract was a forever anchor, Seattle would never take him, and it would destroy whatever team it was on. Then as soon as he gets trades suddenly it's not problem for Seattle to take him and moving forward is really not an issue. It's such bullshit as nothing has changed.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
He's a year older now than he was in Calgary and still put up another 20.

Im also being half sarcastic here and I understand it wasn't a fit. But I still find it amusing that as soon as he's out of Calgary he goes back to 20 goals.

Alex Chiasson and Pat Maroon also had 20 goal season playing with McDavid. Maroon almost had 30 goals.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Let's stop talking like one player is better than the other. All the things you say Neal didn't do in Calgary and he's done in Edmonton.

All the things you say Lucic is doing in Calgary, he didn't do in Edmonton. At the end of the day both teams lose for signing such shitty deals.

The kicker for me is that while Lucic was an Oiler it was universally spoken here how his contract was a forever anchor, Seattle would never take him, and it would destroy whatever team it was on. Then as soon as he gets trades suddenly it's not problem for Seattle to take him and moving forward is really not an issue. It's such bullshit as nothing has changed.

I don't think anyone seriously thinks that Seattle will pick up the Lucic contract. Most people stating Lucic will likely waive the NMC, so that he doesn't have to be protected and use up a spot.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I don't think anyone seriously thinks that Seattle will pick up the Lucic contract. Most people stating Lucic will likely waive the NMC, so that he doesn't have to be protected and use up a spot.
Yet when he was in Edmonton there was no chance he would waive. Just funny how the whole outlook changed as soon as he was traded.

I'd say your assessment is probably correct though.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
So you agree with the NHL's decision to forfeit the 3rd round pick to Calgary even though empirically he only scored 19 goals this season?
No not at all. But they're saying he scored 20 goals and that's what the books will say. Me thinking it's stupid won't change the fact that they did it.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
It was an entertaining read. Real bizarre situation with the competing teams staying in the same hotel. Even more so for Neal being in a Marriot with all his ex teams.

I also thought it was funny the elaborate gaming systems some players brought. Then again, what else are they going to do?

Reactions: HockeyWooot

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Never understood why both teams, and their fans, can’t just be happy with having the player they got.

Why does it have to be....”Hahahah, took you behind the woodshed like a bitch”!!

Im happier with what Looch brings to the table than Neal.

Oiler fans are happier with what Neal brings to the table than Looch.

Sounds like a solid hockey trade, no??

So much bitching for no reason.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
then stop saying garbage takes that Lucic sucks when he’s actually playing fine.
I think neither are very good. If you don't like my opinion, I don't really give a damn. Stop whining and think what you want to think.

Steven Toast

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
then stop saying garbage takes that Lucic sucks when he’s actually playing fine.
Lucic sucks is a very tame take my dude. In his last 3 years he's 24-50-74 in 229 games. He hits but often its behind the play with no effect on possession. Neal nearly equaled Lucics goal total in 3 seasons in one injury shortened year with the Oilers. Enjoy 3 more years of 5-8 goals for 6 million.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Lucic sucks is a very tame take my dude. In his last 3 years he's 24-50-74 in 229 games. He hits but often its behind the play with no effect on possession. Neal nearly equaled Lucics goal total in 3 seasons in one injury shortened year with the Oilers. Enjoy 3 more years of 5-8 goals for 6 million.

I find Lucic quite effective along the boards. He's also one of the best fighters in the league, and acts as a deterrent for anyone trying to take liberties against he Flames. He's only making 5.25 in Calgary (the Oilers retained). Obviously, I'd prefer him at around 2 million to play bottom minutes, but he's a solid contributor in this role.

Did I mention....PPG!

Reactions: HugginThePost

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
Unpopular opinion i guess, I thought it had good insights.

I know James Neal and Calgary was not a miss, it was a strikeout. But, at least he acknowledged it and knows he had to step up his game. Unfortunately it had to be with our rival, but at this point you just have to let it go. He’s getting more ice time there, we got a player better suited for the bottom 6.
Agreed, I actually enjoyed the article. Interesting stuff from inside the bubble. And it's an absolute shame that Colby Cave is no longer with us.
After all is said and done though, I'm a Flames fan and wish nothing but losses for the Oilers.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
we have the clear winner of the luucic/neal deal for year #1

flames by a tko

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad