Youth Winter Olympics 2016 Lillehammer

Talisman

Nov 7, 2015
Very interesting to see this " youtube star" Mathias Emilio Pettersen in this tournament!!. any clue how he is been playing??.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Very interesting to see this " youtube star" Mathias Emilio Pettersen in this tournament!!. any clue how he is been playing??.
I heard he was bad in the first game from someone who saw the game. He couldn't do much against Finnish defensemen. It's not about his team being bad, he didn't do much. Didn't stood up, which is a shame because of all the hype. Points didn't matter, he just couldn't challenge Finnish defencemen.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
5 teams in mens and womens category and Sweden was ranked 6th in Running order to pick whether to have Womens or Mens team... and the host Norway got team in both.

Running order

1. USA (chose men)
2. Canada (chose men)
3. Czech Republic (chose women)
4. Russia (chose men)
5. Finland (chose men)
6. Sweden (had to choose women)

Seriously? They chose women over men? :shakehead

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Seriously? They chose women over men? :shakehead

Sarcastic:)? thats what it must be according to the rules at iihf.

http://www.iihf.com/fi/home-of-hockey/championships/youth-olympics/

"There will be five teams each in the men’s and women’s tournaments. Four teams for each tournament from eight different nations were selected according to a special combined men’s and women’s under-18 world ranking established after the Men's and Women's U18 World Championships in 2015. Norway as the host nation will be awarded one male team and one female team to participate in each of the tournaments."

"Running Order

Participating nations were able to select whether they wish to participate either in the men's or women's ice hockey tournament according to the running order based on the ranking of the U18 men's and U18 women's national teams in the 2014 and 2015 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship program."

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague

http://www.iihf.com/fi/home-of-hockey/championships/youth-olympics/

"There will be five teams each in the men’s and women’s tournaments. Four teams for each tournament from eight different nations were selected according to a special combined men’s and women’s under-18 world ranking established after the Men's and Women's U18 World Championships in 2015. Norway as the host nation will be awarded one male team and one female team to participate in each of the tournaments."

"Running Order

Participating nations were able to select whether they wish to participate either in the men's or women's ice hockey tournament according to the running order based on the ranking of the U18 men's and U18 women's national teams in the 2014 and 2015 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship program."

Why sarcastic? Maybe I am missing something, but Czech Republic was 3rd in the order and they could have chosen men over women. Every other nation chose men when the had the chance. I just don't understand why they didn't do the same.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Didn't read your own source, I see. The Czechs were in a position to pick whether they wanted a men's or women's team, and chose women, voluntarily, thanks to being the third to choose.

Had the first four teams, namely USA, Canada, the Czech Rep and Russia all picked men, the fifth team on the list, Finland, would have been forced to send a women's team. But since the Czechs chose to send a women's team voluntarily, Finland could pick the last available spot for the men's tournament, leaving Sweden no choice put to participate in women.

I think Wooren's question is rather legit, as to why send a women's team when there were spots in the men's tournament still available.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
I think Wooren's question is rather legit, as to why send a women's team when there were spots in the men's tournament still available.

No insight into czech youth hockey.. maybe they thought better chance at winning the gold for women? no Usa, no canada, no russia and no finland ..... only sweden to worry there. beats me and theyve done fairly well in womens youth hockey too.

edit. ill improve my responses in future

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
No insight into czech youth hockey.. maybe they thought better chance at winning the gold for women? no Usa, no canada, no russia and no finland ..... only sweden to worry there. beats me and theyve done fairly well in womens youth hockey too.
That's plausible explanation. Which makes one wonder even more, why you didn't present it in your last post put cited information that was relatively useless given the question.

PepperoniSlapshot*

2016 Youth Winter Olympics Hockey - Russia vs Canada

Russia Wins 4-3 over Canada

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
What a life memory, I hope these kids enjoy this experience to the maximum, most of these kids will never play in an Olympics, nothing in Hockey alone will compare to these moments, this will be one of the greatest sporting experiences they'll have. Amazing set up to have this every 4 years now with the youth of the World.

PepperoniSlapshot*

What a life memory, I hope these kids enjoy this experience to the maximum, most of these kids will never play in an Olympics

These are an official "Olympics" for Juniors.

Last edited by a moderator:

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
2016 Youth Winter Olympics Hockey - Russia vs Canada

Russia Wins 4-3 over Canada

Of course his English isn't perfect but I'm sure he knew what he was saying, idk why Nizhnikov would call Canada the best team in the world. Strange mentality to have for someone from an elite hockey country, could explain why he moved to Canada at a young age.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Of course his English isn't perfect but I'm sure he knew what he was saying, idk why Nizhnikov would call Canada the best team in the world. Strange mentality to have for someone from an elite hockey country, could explain why he moved to Canada at a young age.

Didn't he call Canada one of the best teams in the world, which it is?

Talisman

Nov 7, 2015
I heard he was bad in the first game from someone who saw the game. He couldn't do much against Finnish defensemen. It's not about his team being bad, he didn't do much. Didn't stood up, which is a shame because of all the hype. Points didn't matter, he just couldn't challenge Finnish defencemen.

I thought little wonder if that be all worth the annealing. Sure you can make Junkers of anyone who is not quite bad hands, will get the juicy youtube video when you collect together all year highlightit. But what then when you should play at a certain level every game from beginning to end, and sometimes also against tougher opponents? Mathias would say to himself in some interview that the conclusion of the basic level should be improved, that playing well every game. Then for a little buzzes the ear of the AHAs, but I wonder if the guy very well marketed. Anyway a little suspect what makes a guy psyche if it is already up to a little child, "NHL star" status in traffic.
Pretty good power Admittedly, I guess there started to do in the States, but then I do not know what level series is in play. I challenged the mere soloing, or is it necessary also the hardness and speed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad