youth skates and upgrading

rh71

Nov 12, 2005
Long Island, NY
I got my twin 4yo boys the Bauer Vapor 1.0 $50 skates each because I didn't want to spend a ton on all their equipment since they were just starting out. They are now almost 6yo and I notice some kids who could flat out fly. Not really sure what skates they have and I know equipment only means so much but I'm wondering if I'm hindering their development with these cheaper skates. Some are as high as $150 for youth skates.

I have the senior version 4.0 myself for lower beer league but i know the better pricier skates are also lighter weight and more supportive and less stiff perhaps. Do youth skates work the same? Thoughts?

TheRedShadow

May 1, 2013
I think at that age as long as they fit right, that they're not hindering them potentially controlling their edges then that's all you need. They'll grow thru em so quick it's not worth spending lots. My boy has those budget Winnwell skates and I think they're just fine.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
AntsSheffield is right, as long as they fit well and he likes them, then you're fine. He's only 6....

buddhaknows

Apr 20, 2014
My 6 yr old grew out of her size 13's in 2 months. We went down to our LHS for a new pair and trade in. The owner sat down with her and measured her foot. He asked me if I preferred used or new. Told him it didn't matter, I want them to fit and for her to be comfortable. He took down 3 different used skates and laced them all up for her. After he fit her for each skate said which ones felt the best. She pointed to the exact same skates she was wearing previously and said those felt best. These skates had updated graphics and didn't look like the previous skates. They were the cheaper Bauer Supreme 4.0 skates she had learned to skate on the previous season. There are a few kids on her house team that skate in top of the line Bauers but it doesn't make them better skaters. The parents and coaching staff at our rink are very tight and we even swap and trade gear all the time. At that age and playing level it doesn't really matter - imho.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Vapor X40, or Supreme 160s if your kid has a wider foot. Both are great skates and you really dont need to move up to anything more expensive for a few years.

Some people I know use even cheaper skates, but i usually just wait for icewarehouse to have a sale and buy then. Comes out to a pretty fair price.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Oh and as the other poster mentioned earlier, when kids are that young it doesnt really matter that much. If the kid is good he will kick ass regardless. It is just something natural with some kids.

For example you always here how its bad to wrap the laces around the skate ankle if they are too long bc it prevents the kid from bending properly etc. The best young skater I have ever seen has his laces tied that way. There is no rhyme or reason to it just make sure the skates fit decently and are tied well. Oh and makr sure theyre having fun.

Malcolm Sadbad

Jun 19, 2013
In the course of just over a year, my son progressed from cheapo $40 Bauer Supreme One20s to $200 Vapour X5.0s to $130 X60s. In all honesty, I can't say any skate made a difference. Kids at that age weigh so little that I can't see a stiffer boot making any difference, and they aren't going to get hit in the ankle with a hard slapper, so they don't need tons of protection. Those stiffer skates are also heavier, contrary to what they tell you at the store. The best player on our team last year had the cheapest skates.

As for straight-line skating speed, six months difference in age can make a difference, as does level of fitness... and as fit as your kid is, there is always someone else working harder. The hardcore hockey family on our street had their Timbits aged kid doing triathlon training. In the spring, their older boy was doing 3 sports simultaneously.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad