Youth Helmet Question

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Hi guys.

My kid has been wearing a Bauer 2100 Junior for the past two years but he is getting close to max size in adjustment so I am thinking to get a better helmet in the next size up. He will also be starting travel hockey next season so I think something with better padding might be a good idea.

What do you guys think is the best helmet I should get my kid? I see the Bauer RE-AKT helmet and all the talk about it, but it doesn't seem like many people are using it. I'm not sure if people like the free floating liner or whatever the speciality in it is. Is all that stuff hype or do you guys think it's worth it? I have no problem spending the money but I feel like it might just be a gimmick and am better off with something a notch below, but I really don't know which.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Definitely try the Reakt, maybe XS to start.

The best helmet is going to be the one that fits the best. Start from higher end to lower end to see.

goonx

Nov 7, 2010
Reakt this supposedly better at protecting against concussions... But there's absolutely no science published on these claims.

Anyways if you can afford it then why not get the best for his head. The m11 (now absorbed by bauer) was making one-piece helmets as well. They are non adjustable. Much like snowboarding helmets

The best way to prevent a concussion is to be aware of ice situations and also wear a facemask.

Last edited:

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Who says the M11 is the best? In my opinion, I think that helmet is garbage because it's too soft. It also actually IS adjustable.

Like I said, start from the top and work your way down, focusing on fit and comfort. Those are your two main variables. If you get down to a few likely candidates, then start examining the features.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Helmet manufacturers are not allowed to make any claims about their helmets with regards to preventing concussions because there is no scientific evidence that any of them are more or less effective in that area. They all pass the same level of testing to get certification from the HECC. The helmet is there to protect the skull, not the brain.

Like AIREAYE said, you want to make sure the helmet fits the best and is comfortable. Make sure it's not going to wiggle around or come off. Personally, I like helmets with soft padding on the inside vs the hard foam, so I spring for the mid range models.

goonx

Nov 7, 2010
Who says the M11 is the best? In my opinion, I think that helmet is garbage because it's too soft. It also actually IS adjustable.

Like I said, start from the top and work your way down, focusing on fit and comfort. Those are your two main variables. If you get down to a few likely candidates, then start examining the features.

Oh I never meant "m11" was the best. I just meant that if he's getting one, he should get the most expensive one his budget allows for.

I have a m11 and I think it's very well built. The outer shell is a one piece construction which is what I meant by non-adjustable. I had a 6k helmet where the construction is two piece and you can slide the helmet back and forth between a size 6-8 hat size.
The M11 is adjustable but more like a bicycle helmet with the dial that lets you customize the "tightness" rather than sliding it back and forth for the volume.

When I put force on the 6k, it gives a LOT more than the m11. I got my m11 on sale as well when bauer absorbed them into the IMS line. So it was $60 for a $180 helmet.

I never owned the reakt so i can't comment on it but it looks solid as well. There is absolutely no scientific proof that a helmet prevents concussions so like what was said earlier, there's nothing to say that a $50 helmet is better than $200. Bauer says they "designed" the helmet with concussion protection in mind if you read the Reakt's bio.

BUT for the peace of mind, i would always opt for a more expensive one because it "probably" was built with better materials (i.e. plastic, foam, comfort)

Last edited:

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I see what you mean. I don't want to enter into discussion about the M11 because it's irrelevant here.

The peace of mind thing is a HUGE factor especially with greater awareness about head injuries. Your assessment with the 'probably' is spot on with more and more people having that mentality.

Maddog

Dec 17, 2008
I am a novice in this discussion but I have one item to contribute. Both of my kids, 6 and 8, are just beginning to get into hockey. So they were offered rental equipment until they decide to take the sport more seriously. Unfortunately, my oldest was offered a rental helmet which was a brand new M11, that was too small and no other helmets were available for him. So the family drove the hour to the nearest hockey store and bought the kid a larger M11, and a needed pair of hockey pants. When I got home I noticed the helmet I bought had been inspected two years prior to the rental helmet and had an inspection expiration date two years prior to the rental helmet. No big concern for me with the inspection since I believe it lasts for 7 or 8 years. So my kid will eventually outgrow his new helmet and pass it on to his brother. However, after his younger brother outgrows the helmet, the helmet may not be of any value to sell due to inspection expiration date, Again no biggie, the family would have gotten their monies worth out of the helmet if the children continue to play. My only reason to bring this up is for those people, like me, not knowing some of the helmets have date of expiration.

We are happy with the M11 that cost around $60. It fits well and can be expanded. The kid likes it and doesn't complain so it must work.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
What sticker are you looking at? The red and blue CSA or the white HECC? Are you playing in Canada or the US?

ean

Nov 27, 2007
You may also consider researching some light neck strengthening exercises.

Maddog

Dec 17, 2008
What sticker are you looking at? The red and blue CSA or the white HECC? Are you playing in Canada or the US?

It's the red and blue CSA. My kids are playing in Tacoma and use USA Hockey sponsored rental gear. However, the oldest just started and their helmet didn't fit so we had to purchase him what I thought was a new one. The one we bought is unused but looks dated according to the inspection sticker.

Maddog

Dec 17, 2008
I liked my M11 at $120, so at $60 I'd consider it a steal.

Thanks. That makes me feel a little better. Luckily, the wife met a player that played for goalie for a mid-west college and he gave us some pointers in buying cheaper gear and made her more comfortable about the kids playing hockey. We, also, had to buy the oldest new pants. We went with the more expensive version due to increased padding. He doesn't need it but thought it would help with lessening the impact of falling while learning the sport.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
It's the red and blue CSA. My kids are playing in Tacoma and use USA Hockey sponsored rental gear. However, the oldest just started and their helmet didn't fit so we had to purchase him what I thought was a new one. The one we bought is unused but looks dated according to the inspection sticker.

CSA applies only to Hockey Canada sanctioned hockey. In the states, only the date indicated by the white HECC sticker matters. Technically, you are not allowed to play with a helmet if the date is past the date indicated on the hite sticker, again, only in the US. You can ignore the red CSA sticker in that case, it's irrelevant.

Evergreen

None of the anti-concussion claims by manufacturers are supported by any real science not are they approved by any governing bodies. Just take your kid to a pro shop and have him try on all of the helmets. Buy him the one that fits him the best. Fit is one of the most important things to consider when buying a helmet. You don't need to buy the top of the line helmet for a kid. Just make sure he is comfortable in it.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
None of the anti-concussion claims by manufacturers are supported by any real science not are they approved by any governing bodies. Just take your kid to a pro shop and have him try on all of the helmets. Buy him the one that fits him the best. Fit is one of the most important things to consider when buying a helmet. You don't need to buy the top of the line helmet for a kid. Just make sure he is comfortable in it.

That's the same for any protective headgear in any sport. Might protect from cuts, fractures and bruising, but it does nothing to stop your brain getting bounced around inside your head by any impact.

Islespuck89

Jan 9, 2012
CSA applies only to Hockey Canada sanctioned hockey. In the states, only the date indicated by the white HECC sticker matters. Technically, you are not allowed to play with a helmet if the date is past the date indicated on the hite sticker, again, only in the US. You can ignore the red CSA sticker in that case, it's irrelevant.

I just replaced my CCM 492m. It was between 8-10 years old Sticker I think said 2009. I took may hard hits and i was just fine. I replaced it cause my Itech 920 ( 3/4 shield 1/2 cage was so scratched up and fogged up after 10 seconds). It was only few more $$ to buy a new helmet with a full visor cage. Man am I happy I got a new helmet, the new one w/ full visor was like 1.3 lbs old one was 2.9 lbs. My neck is so much happier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad