Goalies: Youth goalie equipment

Farmerjetsfan

Dec 26, 2018
I played goal growing up and am now coaching my sons team. He is 6 and really wants to play goal. We don’t use goalies this year, but we have a pond we skate on all the time. I decided to get him some goalie equipment to use on the pond. I bought them used sight unseen. They fit right but I did not realize the pads were prospec with toe lace, skate strap, calf and knee velcroe and thigh guard. They then have skate strap, 2 straps on the calf and 2 on the knee and nothing above the knee. How are these to be worn? The last set I bought and still use are strapped to the top Bauer 6’s. Thanks in advance.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
I looked up what a Bauer 6 is, and I'm assuming it's this thing?
3eIRETP.jpg
s-l300.jpg

I think from the second pic I can see what you mean about going all the way up.

Ok, so I would youtube the make of the pads and see if there's a review of it, because often the reviewer (or company, if it's an official video) will show someone putting it on. The knee is as high as the straps should go, as anything higher would impair the butterfly. If there is a thighboard, that may have a strap that can be worn loosely, and the thighboard can sit in front of the pants or, if possible, tucked beneath them.

Your son should try putting on the pads with his skates on, and then dropping to his knees making a "V". The pads should naturally rotate into butterfly. Then, he should stand up, and they should rotate back. If he's feeling a lot of discomfort, like the blood circulation to his legs is being cut off when he's standing, the knee straps are probably too tight. If the pads aren't rotating back when standing up, then the calf straps are likely too loose. It's about finding a sweet spot, but I like my calf straps a bit tighter and my knee strap pretty loose.

Good luck!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad