Youth Competitions

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Quick french answer

And to the surprise of no one, it's Bouabre. He was their best outfield player in the first half. Odogu just played Bouabre onside, shame cause he's been very strong defensively in this tourney.

Can't help but feel like Schmitt would've saved that if he weren't sick...

EDIT:
Heide redeems himself not long after, France are really pouring the pressure on.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
This is where our poor possession play at this tourney hurts us. We can't just hold onto the ball. Even with 11 we rarely recycled the ball, we'd either give it back or create a dangerous chance.

da Silva Moreira has made some great defensive interventions in this second half. He's so raw as a defender...he still plays in the attack for St. Pauli...but god damn are the tools exciting.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
And this is now officially the most successful German U17 team of all time, claiming our first U17 World Cup to go with the Euro title they won over the summer.

Definitely could've gone either way at various points along the run...especially if WZE hadn't gotten promoted so early...but I'm so happy for these kids to sweep the trilogy with France. They really deserved this.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Schulz' penalty sends Mainz' kids past City's in the YL. That academy has been having a ton of success lately; winning the Cup Der Junioren last season & now this.

Really sucks that injuries have been such a problem for Burkardt & Weiper, because that team could have a lot of fun young German talents joining those two & Gruda if they can avoid relegation.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Schulz' penalty sends Mainz' kids past City's in the YL. That academy has been having a ton of success lately; winning the Cup Der Junioren last season & now this.

Really sucks that injuries have been such a problem for Burkardt & Weiper, because that team could have a lot of fun young German talents joining those two & Gruda if they can avoid relegation.
Didn't they beat Barcelona too?

Bayern also go through against Feyenoord, and Leipzig have the chance now to do so if they beat Real.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Didn't they beat Barcelona too?

Bayern also go through against Feyenoord, and Leipzig have the chance now to do so if they beat Real.

Yep, got past Barca's kids after penalties to get to this round of 16 match with City. Next for them is Porto for a chance to make the YL semis.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I wonder if we'll be able to convince Adeyemi to play for the U21 team for another cycle. Could be a really strong group if we do.

Adeyemi - Beier - Moukoko - Gruda
Martel - Reitz
Netz - Arrey Mbi - Kleine Bekel - Morgalla
Atubolu

Weiper
Schade - Wanner - Knauff
Pavlovic - Röhl
Brown - Schmidt - Siebert - Oermann
Urbig

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Freiburg's U19s booked their place in the final of the Pokal der Junioren, despite losing Darvich last summer. Defending champions Mainz will face Hoffenheim tomorrow in the other semifinal.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Germany failed to qualify for both U19 and U17 Euros, the U17s were eliminated on goal difference after a 96th minute goal by Croatia in the other match. While these youth tournaments don't mean too much I noticed their U19s haven;t qualified for a few years now, their U17s did win the Euros last year but that same generation (I would assume) the next cycle finished bottom of their qualifying group

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Germany failed to qualify for both U19 and U17 Euros, the U17s were eliminated on goal difference after a 96th minute goal by Croatia in the other match. While these youth tournaments don't mean too much I noticed their U19s haven;t qualified for a few years now, their U17s did win the Euros last year but that same generation (I would assume) the next cycle finished bottom of their qualifying group

It's a new group with the u17s. Last year's U17 Euro (and World Cup!) winners are currently playing for our U18s.

But yeah, disappointing result for the U19s...a lot of that age group's top talents have already been promoted, are injured, or are more focused on making the jump to the senior level for their clubs, but any team with Bischof on it should be disappointed not to qualify for the euros.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Ok didn't know about that, just found it pretty rare that both age groups fail to qualify at the same time, probably doesn't happen often with Germany

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Ok didn't know about that, just found it pretty rare that both age groups fail to qualify at the same time, probably doesn't happen often with Germany

Oh no doubt. Definitely disappointed in both of those teams, even if I'm not so bothered by the U19s. That team was experimenting a lot with their defense and hasn't had 3 of the 4 biggest talents in that age group (Weiper, Wanner, & Ibrahimovic). But like I said, there was more than enough talent around Bischof to at least qualify, so that's no excuse.

Haven't watched these U17s yet, so can't comment on them. But it's a weird time, obviously these are two disappointing results, but with how loaded the 2006ers are in almost every part of the pitch and the young talent already breaking through at the senior level for their clubs, I can't say that it's hard to be optimistic about our future :dunno:

We've even started producing some NT caliber 6s again with Pavlovic & Martel!

EDIT:
FW: Moukoko, Weiper, Beier, Tresoldi, Moerstedt*, Ramsak
W: Brunner, Adeyemi, Diehl, Schade, Ibrahimovich, Burkardt
AM: Musiala, Wirtz, Darvich, Bischof, Wanner, Gruda, Maza, Dardai
8: Ouedraogo, Nmecha, Stiller, Reitz*, Tohumcu
6: Pavlovic, Martel, Klemens*, Kemlein*
LB: Netz, Rothe, Ullrich*, Finkgräfe*, Kabar
RB: Morgalla, Oermann, Baum*, (Thielmann?), Moreira
CB (LF): Schlotterbeck, Arrey-Mbi, Schmidt*, Blank, Dal
CB (RF): Thiaw, Bella-Kotchap, Bisseck*, Kleine-Bekel*, Buchmann, Jeltsch, Ogodu
GK: Atubolu, Urbig, Ramaj, Seimen, Schmitt, Schlieck

I don't know how to judge keepers unless they're instant studs like Neuer & ter Stegen were. But the first three are starting at the senior level already, and the second trio gets a lot of hype from prospect watchers...Seimen in particular is much hyped both in & outside of Germany.

*kids who are doing well atm but I'm not sure have realistic senior NT potential

The CBs are looking like the big question mark with Martel/Pavlovic, Netz/Rothe, and Morgalla/Oermann getting closer & closer to securing the 6 & FB spots for the senior team moving forward...especially with Kimmich moving back to RB making that spot a much less urgent need.

Hopefully Thiaw & Schlotterbeck can at least form a solid partnership, even if they don't become the modern Hummels-Boateng, and none of the higher-ceilinged kids surpass them...because if the foundation is solid, Flo & Jamal should have a ton of talent around them in the attack.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Meanwhile our U21s reclaimed the top spot in their group. This Thielmann at RB experiment has been fascinating and I pray that Köln starts using him there at the club level as well. Would really help fill out our youth pool if that RB spot got solidified.

That team has definitely been hurt by some of the promotions & injuries, but could be really dangerous at the next U21 euros if they our top talents that haven't broken into the senior team yet are healthy & agree to go.

...Moukoko, Adeyemi, Gruda, Beier, Weiper; Martel, Pavlovic, Reitz; Netz, Rothe, Thielmann, Morgalla, Oermann, Arrey-Mbi, Kleine-Bekel, Siebert; Atubolu, Urbig. That's more than enough talent to add another U21 title.

Last edited:

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
One of the groups at the U17 Euros in a few months is: Spain, England, Portugal, France...in a 16 team tournament :laugh:

But it is pretty much an open draw so something like that can happen

2024-04-03-18-31-21-png.86204

Sep 19, 2008
South Korea better step up they're losing 2 1 to Indonesia

went through group stage looking dominant without conceding, then give up 2 today 🙄

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad