Youre boring everyone!

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
Yeah, I wonder if Guy Boucher or some other good coach is available. MT lost us the series against Ottawa last year, and now has the smallest team in the league playing grinding hockey. I wonder how much more leash he has before he hangs himself on it.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
I agree with most of you, games are boring as ****, don't watch full games anymore. MT lost the team a while ago, when he decided to call players through medias (like a true idiot, again), but now it becoming increasingly apparent, no drive, no emotion, no energy... it's Bergevin's turn to wake up, he needs to shake the team, cause it's going nowhere. And do you really see the actual team lifting the Cup ? As much as I want to believe, I can't fool myself with that one...

Oh, and as for the possible solutions for the NHL, 3pts for wins, 2pts for an overtime win, and 1 for an overtime loss, would help a lot creating some kind of 'desparation' for scoring goals instead of stupidly trying to avoid being scored on...

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
Oh, and as for the possible solutions for the NHL, 3pts for wins, 2pts for an overtime win, and 1 for an overtime loss, would help a lot creating some kind of 'desparation' for scoring goals instead of stupidly trying to avoid being scored on...
4pts for a regulation win 2pts for an overtime win and 1pts for a win during the "gimmick". Nothing for the loser.

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
I agree with most of you, games are boring as ****, don't watch full games anymore. MT lost the team a while ago, when he decided to call players through medias (like a true idiot, again), but now it becoming increasingly apparent, no drive, no emotion, no energy... it's Bergevin's turn to wake up, he needs to shake the team, cause it's going nowhere. And do you really see the actual team lifting the Cup ? As much as I want to believe, I can't fool myself with that one...

I didn't want to admit it but it's so true.

Lozela

Nov 11, 2010
I watched the first 5 games of the season thinking that it was going to be an exciting one. We had Eller - Galchenyuk - Gallagher clicking + Subban doing end to end rushes and doing the spinorama but the coach killed that.

* We have to simply our game *

smh

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
The strangeness is a big reason why i've always loved the Spengler Cup. The athmosphere, the jerseys.

I also actually think that the reason I like the hockey so much is because the players are not as good. Hockey thrives on chaos and in truth, when the systems are too tights on a small ice and the players rarely make mystakes, it can be boring. While over there it's average players on a big surface having fun, the "out of nowhere" factor is greater.

I agree totally and I watch the Spengler every year. I was more of a fan of the 80s and early 90s style of the NHL, the games are boring now for the most part, hockey was more fun to watch back then.

izzy75

Nov 22, 2010
I mentioned this a few weeks ago. First year I've stopped watching games - sometimes 3-4 in a row. And this is true if they're winning or losing. The entire organization seems obsessed with language, tradition and being nice/respect. It's revolting

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
I get the feeling that maybe ..including myself people are just getting sick and tired of the way this team has been run for so long and its taking it's toll...the more things change the more they stay the same with this team...Also dumb language factor really bugs me.

I also believe the NHL needs to expand the ice. Remove 3 rows (which I realize will never happen due to greed) . players have no room to move, Goalies look like they cover up 90% of the net. Teams just seem to concentrate on Defense which I cant blame them for. Only way is to open up game by bigger ice so we can actually see players skill. If your an average fan of NHL I don't think you can even tell apart the good players from ok players as they all do the same thing. Dump chase, grind, cycle.....zzzzzzzz...Also need smaller equipment on goalies and if its not to much to ask for half decent ref's.

This lets move net up inch mentality, or remove inch or two from goalies pads wont fix the game. Its pathetic attempt. Even if it creates few more goals it does not bring in more excitement to the game alone. Players need to have room to move I cant stress this enough.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
I haven't watched a single full game this season.

Jacques Martin killed it for me. Therrien is simply making this easier for me not to watch any hockey at all.

Also, I've had this very conversation with my friends yesterday and we all agreed we didn't care about the habs anymore.

I must be a horrible fan, but I don't give a crap.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
They're showing, on ESPN Classics, the Bruins-Habs game from last year where Habs came back in the third. They were way more entertaining to watch. Two man forecheck, speed, puck control.

Last edited:

Habs_Apostle

Feb 22, 2004
They have been boring as hell, especially lately. God, I feel like we're becoming the New Jersey Devils. I used to feel so sorry for their fans. I hope this is just an odd stretch and that they pick things up soon.

Chfan

Apr 16, 2004
Montreal
I whole-heartedly agree. I was watching NFL today instead of habs and did not even think od PVRing the habs game. We are a definite bore this year. No scoring, no creativity, no physicality, not a whole lot going on...

Since our team has bored me into a hockey aversion, I barely watched any other teams ; do you think it's just us or is NHL hockey on a bad path again, and in need of another mini-revolution (aka bigger nets or something) ?

Man, I thought I was the only one.

This hockey season has made me a big NFL fan...The Habs are okay to watch but like, somehow, I don't know if it's just me, but I lost that spark I always had to watch every game.

Corky

Mar 21, 2008
Singapore
I think the issue is not necessarily that Therrien wants to play a boring style, he actually wants to play the same style that gave him success last year but other teams have adjusted to it.

It's painfully obvious for anyone who watches the Habs (I still do) that the only thing you have to do to beat them is to pressure them in their zone with an intense 2-man forecheck and cycle the puck in their zone with aggressive pinching from the defensemen. By the time the Habs are able to get the puck out of their zone, they are gassed out and not capable of generating or sustaining any kind of offense, making it easy for the other team's forward to catch up to them. They then give the puck away only to have the other team come back and start the cycle again in their zone.

Therrien made the comments that his players are tired a few weeks ago. I think they are tired because other team play them that way and we have not changed our system at all to respond to this, which is exhausting for the players on a long term basis.

Now I do not think Therrien is an overly smart or innovative coach. I don't know the man personally but what I see on 24CH makes me wonder how a guy like this can get a job as an NHL coach. I think he's a pure "rah rah rah" coach in the mold of Jacques Demers and nowadays, to be effective, you need a coach that's a bit more strategic.

A strategic coach would have adjusted our style of play to respond to other teams aggressive forecheck. We should be getting a tons of odd-man rushes but we don't for some reasons, it seems there are 3 players from the other team deep in our zone at all time and for some reasons, when the Habs manage to get out to attack, there are 4 guys waiting for them at the opposing blue line. I'm always like: How the hell did that happen!!??!

I still follow the Habs even though I find them boring as hell and I think Therrien needs to change his strategy or be fired. I think Guy Boucher would be a perfect fit although I would love us getting rid of the "francophone only" coach mentality (and my first language is french).

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I think the issue is not necessarily that Therrien wants to play a boring style, he actually wants to play the same style that gave him success last year but other teams have adjusted to it.

It's painfully obvious for anyone who watches the Habs (I still do) that the only thing you have to do to beat them is to pressure them in their zone with an intense 2-man forecheck and cycle the puck in their zone with aggressive pinching from the defensemen. By the time the Habs are able to get the puck out of their zone, they are gassed out and not capable of generating or sustaining any kind of offense, making it easy for the other team's forward to catch up to them. They then give the puck away only to have the other team come back and start the cycle again in their zone.

Therrien made the comments that his players are tired a few weeks ago. I think they are tired because other team play them that way and we have not changed our system at all to respond to this, which is exhausting for the players on a long term basis.

Now I do not think Therrien is an overly smart or innovative coach. I don't know the man personally but what I see on 24CH makes me wonder how a guy like this can get a job as an NHL coach. I think he's a pure "rah rah rah" coach in the mold of Jacques Demers and nowadays, to be effective, you need a coach that's a bit more strategic.

A strategic coach would have adjusted our style of play to respond to other teams aggressive forecheck. We should be getting a tons of odd-man rushes but we don't for some reasons, it seems there are 3 players from the other team deep in our zone at all time and for some reasons, when the Habs manage to get out to attack, there are 4 guys waiting for them at the opposing blue line. I'm always like: How the hell did that happen!!??!

I still follow the Habs even though I find them boring as hell and I think Therrien needs to change his strategy or be fired. I think Guy Boucher would be a perfect fit although I would love us getting rid of the "francophone only" coach mentality (and my first language is french).

Actually, if you paid attention to the games you'd know it's not neccessarly true... we got beat easily by the Blues and their 1 man forecheck, by LA with their 2 man forecheck, barely beat NSH and their tight defence, and so on... and we'll probably be ridiculed by the Hawks speed when we'll face them.

we're being beat by different systems/teams simply because the system we use would require bigger bodies we dont have to be effective...

I mean, the only true physical player we have on our top 9 is Eller...

Corky

Mar 21, 2008
Singapore
Actually, if you paid attention to the games you'd know it's not neccessarly true... we got beat easily by the Blues and their 1 man forecheck, by LA with their 2 man forecheck, barely beat NSH and their tight defence, and so on... and we'll probably be ridiculed by the Hawks speed when we'll face them.

we're being beat by different systems/teams simply because the system we use would require bigger bodies we dont have to be effective...

I mean, the only true physical player we have on our top 9 is Eller...

Not sure about that, I've personally notice that all teams play us the same way. The Blues for example, pinched aggressively with their defensemen, leaving us bottled up in our zone. I also did not notice they were playing a single man forecheck. If so, the players doing it must have been effective as hell. The game against the LA kings is a perfect example of what I said, not sure why you would use that example. The NSH game, I did not watch.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Yeah, I wonder if Guy Boucher or some other good coach is available. MT lost us the series against Ottawa last year, and now has the smallest team in the league playing grinding hockey. I wonder how much more leash he has before he hangs himself on it.

What does coaching have to do with Ottawa having a huge edge in nets and losing 5-6 guys to injury all at once?

People tailor history to their agendas on here, it's comical.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

So you're saying the Habs are near the top of the standings because most NHL coaches are stupid?

If it's that easy to see why do so few teams do it(or succeed?).

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
To me, this team's style of play is just not well executed. Bad decision with the puck, no tape to tape passes that often leads to puck lost. Playing defense is what is saving this team since they have goal-tending to make saves and keeping the score low. They have no mojo with the puck and always see guys with only one hand on the stick and I have notice many cheaters. I don't think MT is all to blame here but he's an easy scape goat.

Corky

Mar 21, 2008
Singapore
So you're saying the Habs are near the top of the standings because most NHL coaches are stupid?

If it's that easy to see why do so few teams do it(or succeed?).

No, it's because teams took a while to adjust and Price has been standing on his head for 10-20 games now. I expect a regression to the mean if we continue playing like this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad