Your worst move as Senators GM

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Awe man! Now I have to humbly apologize in a thread where we share our mistaken armchair GM moments!

Should have stayed in bed.... ;)

Sorry Vesa, my bad, read that poorly, replied without consideration.

My bad didnt put :sarcasm: after lol I would have clung on to the SCFs team too long.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I'm trying to think.. I don't know if it'd have been a huge mistake but I was definitely against the Gonchar signing. Felt he was too old and we gave him too long of term.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
I wanted to resign Kuba, then Gonchar. I also wouldn't have made the methot trade.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
I was against the Turris trade. Was worried he'd turn out to be like Gagner.

Michael Del Zotto was a CHL star and a projected mid-1st rounder. We had a mid-1st rounder and a need for an offensive d-man ---> ERIK KARLSSON??? ... Who the **** is that? :eek:

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
Man, I remember being one of the few posters who was actively rallying support on these boards in favor of a Turris trade, and even I was worried about the price we paid in the Turris trade.

This is what I posted in the original Turris trade thread:

I don't think that's really rallying support in favour of the trade.

I had a pretty similar reaction. Assumed Murray was very high on Turris, saw potential in both players, but was upset that we added a 2nd to the deal.

In hindsight, shouldn't have worried about that pick too much.

Anyway, a few others that have popped into my head:

Wanted MPS in 09. Was initially upset we passed him, but also thought Cowen was probably the best alternative on the board.

Wanted to re-sign Volchenkov. I think he's better than his play in New Jersey indicates (Brodeur evidently doesn't like guys blocking shots, which is Volchenkov's forte).

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I don't think that's really rallying support in favour of the trade.

Well, not this post, no.

Before the trade though, I was pretty vocal about taking a chance on him. Me, John Holmes, a few others...

I posted this in the offseason before we acquired Turris, when the whole "Turris holdout/ demand a trade" was just starting:
Not looking at stats, just at his actual play. Phoenix is a terrible spot for him, Tippet is a defense-first, "play-the-veterans" kind of guy. I'm just saying I like Turris based purely on what I saw, that's all.

Last year, I made an effort to watch Coyotes games on center ice because I thought it would be my last chance to see them play before leaving the desert (didn't we all!), and I thought Turris was being horribly, horribly misused. I probably watched 20 or so 'Yotes games last year. He clearly showed that he had talent, but would barely get any icetime, was being played with scrub 4th liners... of course you're not going to put up great stats in situations like that. You could see the frustration in his game, but the kid clearly, CLEARLY has skill, more so than anyone who would currently be available, and he plays a position in which we have a clear and defined deficiency in (Center), at least in the imemdiate future, depending on whether Zibanejad is ready or not (and that, quite frankly, is not up to me one way or the other).

I'm not saying we trade the moon for this guy, but we are in a position right now where we HAVE to be taking chances on skill guys, and if the price is right, then pull the trigger. My opinion on Turris here is based 100% on me watching him play, not stats. It's entirely subjective, which I agree has no convincing power, but that's what I've got. He's a skilled, offence-first center that may come cheap because of how he's been handled in Phoenix. I'd say he easily has more potential than Regin, who is pencilled in as our "place holder" 2nd line center, and if given equal opportunities would have a better season this year. And that's nothing against Regin, but I think Turris has some 60+ point seasons in him somewhere down the line.

As an offensively-starved team, we need to take a look at him.

... and this:
As for the ridiculous Filatov vs Turris argument, if you asked me, I'd take Turris every day of the week, and twice sundays, SOLELY based on how strong he looked in the 2nd half of last year and how well he played in Phoenix's 1st round loss vs Detroit.

Quite frankly, he was a completely different player for the last half of 2010-11, and looked MUCH better than when he was rushed in and mishandled by Tippet.

I'd definitely look at a deal that involved Foligno or god knows, really anyone off our 3rd/4th lines. We're ridiculously deep with 3rd and 4th line type players, and bereft of any top-6 talent, which Turris, for half the year last year, showed be was becoming. At some point, you've got to take a chance on skill and upside, especially considering how much we need it right now... and especially when we can deal from an area of strength for us: depth forwards and futures.

fringie

May 20, 2013
Kanata
I thought Runblad was going to be a star, so I was pretty ticked off about the Turris trade at first, especially considering we gave up a 2nd rounder as well. I probably wouldn't have the guts to make that trade back then like BM did..but then again this is one of the best trades BM has ever made a Sens GM.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
i wanted Bryan Lee in 05.
I seem to have a blind spot for PMDs. First Brian Lee, then Rundblad... :cry:

By the way, that 2nd rd pick we gave up along with Rundblad for Turris travelled some more to Columbus and finally Philadelphia and turned into a goalie named Anthony Stolarz. I'll be keeping an eye on him! :naughty:

Last edited:

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
I wanted to draft MPS in 09.

I wanted to keep Redden over Chara as well, was I ever wrong with that.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I wanted to draft MPS in 09.

I wanted to keep Redden over Chara as well, was I ever wrong with that.

Man, that '09 draft is looking more and more average with every passing year.

It's still too early to really make a final, over-arching decision about that draft, but you look at the 1st round picks after Cowen, and there's a whole lot of uncertainty and meh there, even though we're coming up on the 5-year anniversary of that draft.

We talk about how much Cowen is struggling, but you look at that draft, and there's maybe only a handful of guys in the 1st round you might take over Cowen right now.

- MPS is a 3rd liner.
- Ellis, jury is still out as to whether he'll be a real good blueliner or just an average one who is offence-heavy, but he's a 3rd pairing guy right now.
- de Haan has been injured a ton since his draft year, playing 2nd pair with NYI, but could be a 3rd pairing guy on a playoff team. Probably has "two-way" average 2nd pairing upside.
- Z. Kassian is all over the place. Could put it all together and become a great power forward, but is still maddening a lot of the time. One of the league leaders in brainfarts.
- Kulikov had the most promise 2 years ago, but seems to have regressed BIG time over the past few years. he's -17 for the Panthers (team worst), and in over his head playing the minutes he's getting at the moment. Needs a change of scenery in the worst way.
- Peter Holland. Meh. Still has horrible hockey IQ. He'll never be as good as scouts thought he might be.
- Nick Leddy is awesome. The 1st legit guy I'd trade Cowen for without having to think twice about it. How the hell did Chicago get this kid for Cam effing Barker?
- David Rundblad, kid has the skill, but it has not translated well at ALL from the SEL to the NHL. At a certain point, we're going to have to start questioning whether he'll ever properly transition.
- Louis Leblanc, 1214 Awful St., Bust City, PQ, H4B 5G0
- Kris Kreider, probably ends up being a decent 2nd liner. Not bad. Lots to like there.
- Jacob Josefson, looks like he won't come close to hitting his "scouts projection". Might be a career bottom-6 guy who can dish the puck a bit.
- John Moore :dunno: ... won't be great, but won't be bad, either. Has 2nd pairing upside still.
- Jordan Schroeder, I haven't really watched the Canucks a ton this year, but from what I've heard from Canucks fans, he's not super-impressive.
- and on, and on...

So yeah... looks like a very average draft, which was very top-heavy (Tavares, Duchesne, OEL, Hedman is finally coming around), with some guys with star-potential but who still have huge question marks around them (Kane, Kadri, Schenn, potentially Cowen), and a whole lot of "who knows", even after 5 years.

It looked like a super-strong draft class at the time, and even a few years after, but the luster is starting to fade, IMO. The caveat here OBVIOUSLY is that it's still to early to judge a LOT of these kids, but to be honest, I had higher hopes for this draft class; thought it would be great, but it's turning into just average (or even slightly below average). A lot of ceilings won't be reached for a lot of these kids, IMO. Not really even a lot of busts here (except Leblanc), just guys who will go on to have OK careers, but people projected much bigger things for.

MtRundle

We once were warriors.
Apr 29, 2013
Toronto
The easy one is Redden over Chara- watching Chara play injured against Buffalo and getting walked was hard to see the light.

But I remember loving the Heatley for Hossa trade. Somehow immediatley forgot about how strong a 2-way player Hossa was and the fact that Heatley came with baggage.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
ITT: a lot of HFboarders actually taking responsibility for their (at times) bone head criticisms and points of view. Great job guys (seriously)! :handclap:

This thread is a healthy reminder that it's really hard to run a team without knowing what's going on on the inside. There are certainly dumb GMs and dumber trades/moves out there, but none of us knows what's going on for real in many situations, and sometimes you just gotta trust the man in charge. :nod:

george8it

Jul 19, 2012
I wanted us to take Couturier over Zibanejad in 2011. Thank goodness I am not the GM.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Great read. Love how one guy goes from calling the trade stupid, to having changed his name to something Turris related.

Oh and this quote from bdp "i dont mind this deal, we can take a dman like cici in draft or someone else thats more two way"

murray is that you?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I seem to remember falling for the Zack Kassian hype back at the draft. Thought the kid was going to be another Lucic or Bertuzzi (good Bertuzzi, not old man or thug Bertuzzi).

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown
Desperately wanted Ottawa to trade for Pascal LeClaire, and was over the moon when it happened.

Exact same thing with Filatov. Was 100% convinced it was a can't miss move.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
I signed Zigmund Palffy to a ten year, one hundred million dollar contract when he was 33.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad