Your vote for captain

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
He has the worst hockey iq of any player the oilers have employed. He hasn't put together a streak of to good games ever on the oilers.

That's not what i'd say. I'd say his issue is he's a smaller player lacking in skill who's losing a step as he gets older. Skill does not equal hockey iq, Ference actually knows how to defend and read the play just fine, in fact last season he was still one of the only guys who knows how to properly check NHL level players in front of the net.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
ference is talking about nuge.

Without exclusively thinking Nuge should be the next Captain, for some reason I also thought Ferrence was referring to him.

Not that I don't think Nuge would be great just there are so many different ways the captaincy could go on this team.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
With respect to RNH and the captaincy, I would like to note that Stauffer has also said that either RNH or Hendricks would be his pick.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I need more clarification than most other people. It's an odd personal trait of mine. :laugh:

lol, your not alone there. The funny thing is it was a honest mistake, but I was just upset, or needed to clarify, becuase the conclusion was so off. Clearly McD cares deeply about hockey. The kid has a work effort that is off the charts.

Last edited:

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
lol, your not alone there. The funny thing is it was a honest mistake, but I was just upset, or needed to clarify, becuase the conclusion was so off. Clearly McD cares deeply about hockey. The kid has a work effort that is off the charts.

No problem... I misunderstood and was already being defensive/protective about the new golden child. :)

Currently I think I like Hendricks the most as captain material as he is known as a lunch bucket guy who gives his all out there with the limited talent he has and who isn't afraid to get into a scrum and defend his teammates as well.

Seems to be two camps... some that want the most talented players to be the captain and those that want the grittiest/hardest working to be captain... both certainly can work as seen across the NHL.

When I think of an Ultimate captain type I think of a guy like Messier who combines intimidation/talent/leadership in a total package... unfortunately not many like that on the Oilers... maybe Nurse coming up may be that type.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Give it to Hendricks until the young guns have decided on either Nurse or McDavid. You all know what Nurse is becoming.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I for one think that McDavid doesn't care for the spotlight so for that reason I'm not sure if he'd want to be the captain down the road. If he does, he seems grounded and hard working so it'd be hard not to give him the C in a few years.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I for one think that McDavid doesn't care for the spotlight so for that reason I'm not sure if he'd want to be the captain down the road. If he does, he seems grounded and hard working so it'd be hard not to give him the C in a few years.

Only issue here is that you dont strip a Nuge, Hall or Eberle of captaincy just because you think McDavid is ready for it in 2 or 3 yrs. You pretty much have to trade that player away to make the change. Giving it RNH til McDavid\Draisaitl make him expendable would kinda make sense but its safer to just keep it with Ference.

Titsuple

Jun 23, 2009
edmonton
Has Hall turned a corner? Maybe its just me but he seems more mature to me in his resent videos and interviews this summer. Maybe its time. At any rate I say start the camp with no letters and coach to name his Captains the day before the first game.

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
I could see McDavid, RNH, Hall, and Nurse all having the potential to be captains at some point in the future. I don't think the decision needs to be made now.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I doubt that very much. I think McDavid will have to put in a little more time then 1 rookie season before becoming captain of a NHL team.

Hmmm... It's certainly not unprecedented and if i had to guess he'd be the guy i would put money on, even if it is as early as next season. When you're that good you're expected to be a leader your whole life and this won't change in the NHL, often young guys like that can lean on the veterans for additional leadership but at the end of the day this is going to be McDavid's team. Being captain doesn't make you the only leader in a room, leadership ideally comes from everyone. As someone else said the logical choice would be a guy like Hopkins but if you make him captain then you probably have to ship him out to make McDavid the guy, and at some point he's almost assuredly going to be captain as players that good pretty much always are.

b0r0n

Sep 29, 2005
San Jose
Hmmm... It's certainly not unprecedented and if i had to guess he'd be the guy i would put money on, even if it is as early as next season. When you're that good you're expected to be a leader your whole life and this won't change in the NHL, often young guys like that can lean on the veterans for additional leadership but at the end of the day this is going to be McDavid's team. Being captain doesn't make you the only leader in a room, leadership ideally comes from everyone. As someone else said the logical choice would be a guy like Hopkins but if you make him captain then you probably have to ship him out to make McDavid the guy, and at some point he's almost assuredly going to be captain as players that good pretty much always are.

I think it has to go to McDavid ultimately. This is going to be his team in a year or two, so why make someone else captain? Landeskog and Crosby were both captains at less than 20 years old, so I don't see why it would be any stretch to have McDavid.

This town has been so used to not having the star of the team be the captain (Corson, Smith, Horcoff, Ference). It's like we always have to go "off the board" to pick our leaders. It's important to have a leader in the room that the team listens to, but the best leaders can also pick the team up on their shoulders and lead by example if they have to.

Leave the C with Ference, or go with only As this year. Assuming no shocking surprises, it becomes McDavid's team next year.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Hendricks now but announce that it's for one season only, then choose a permanent captain for next season.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I think Hendricks would be a better captain than Ference and the most obvious choice at the moment, but I'm not a fan of stripping it from Ference at the moment, there are a lot of potential captain candidates and I'm thinking we will likely want to change again in the not too distant future, likely when Hendricks contract is up, for the sake of stability I'd prefer the status quo. More long term options I'd consider would be Lander (who needs to better establish himself as a permanent & important NHL fixture), Nurse (who needs to first figure out how to be an impact NHL d-man and a bit less hot headed), Hall (who needs to learn to play a bit more complete of a game), and McDavid (who needs to first deal with the pressure and expectation heaped upon his as being the next one, before he takes on the added responsibility of being a captain).

Well Hall is the first one to reach my target set for him and he seems really comfortable being in the hot seat giving an interview after pretty much every game, he should be the captain. Though I don't think Hall is the super outspoken guy in the room to rally everyone around him like a Doug Weight or Steve Yzerman, he's more of a lead by example guy like Joe Sakic (different temperament though) so having additional leadership voices in the room will be important.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad