Your UFA targets in order of Priority?

robicgi

Oct 17, 2018
Danault is not part of the reasons why I want or don't want Duchene. The goal is adding talent and Duchene can play wing as well if we need him to. What? You going to then say Duchene as a winger gets less time than Danault as a center? Who cares. Lets them earn their ice time. Danault gets no credit for what he does for us because people focus on points only. It's not just about points.

I find it hilarious that some are using Danault as reasons not to sign Duchene.

Duchene would be an upgrade but to me its like going after bobrovski , we need Duchene as much as we need another #1 goalie. We have 50 to 70 pt centers already and if the plan is to move Duchene to wing then why not go after a goal scoring winger straight up. If the plan is to use him at center than how much of an upgrade is it over Domi or Danault? Just seems like a redundant move to me that will have a huge cap hit and hinder us moving forward. Nothing against Duchene but 8 mil for a career 55 to 60 pt center will be a brutal move IMO. Just because a good player is available doesnt nessisarly mean its a good idea to go after him. It would also restrict the young centers development as they would all be relagated to the wing .Whats the point of drafting 3 promising centers to just play them on the wing? Why not just draft wingers than? We finally have some promising youth at center (including Domi) and we want to pay 8 mil plus for a middle of the pack center. Just doesnt make sense to me. Its all good to say let them earn their ice time but with domi/duchene/danault filling the top 3 spots and the young centers being religated to the 4th line or wing on the 3rd how do you see them getting the opportunity to realistically show what they can do?

Reactions: yianik

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Duchene would be an upgrade but to me its like going after bobrovski , we need Duchene as much as we need another #1 goalie. We have 50 to 70 pt centers already and if the plan is to move Duchene to wing then why not go after a goal scoring winger straight up. If the plan is to use him at center than how much of an upgrade is it over Domi or Danault? Just seems like a redundant move to me that will have a huge cap hit and hinder us moving forward. Nothing against Duchene but 8 mil for a career 55 to 60 pt center will be a brutal move IMO. Just because a good player is available doesnt nessisarly mean its a good idea to go after him. It would also restrict the young centers development as they would all be relagated to the wing .Whats the point of drafting 3 promising centers to just play them on the wing? Why not just draft wingers than? We finally have some promising youth at center (including Domi) and we want to pay 8 mil plus for a middle of the pack center. Just doesnt make sense to me. Its all good to say let them earn their ice time but with domi/duchene/danault filling the top 3 spots and the young centers being religated to the 4th line or wing on the 3rd how do you see them getting the opportunity to realistically show what they can do?

The plan is only to move him to wing if Kotkaniemi and Poehling turn into who we think they can. Call Duchene insurance and he plays effectively on wing if we need him to. This is a good problem to have. I don't consider Duchene a game changer for us but I'm not going to get picky with UFA's like him who want to play for Montreal. We are not going to be able to add an asset for free like this too often. Same BS comments I heard about when we signed Radulov. Reasons why he would not fit us and he was compared to Semin. Duchene's skill and skating fits our team strategy

However, I have come to the conclusion that Duchene only fits if the cap hit is $8M max. If he wants substantially more, let him try somewhere else. It's risky to sign him for more cause if the youth turn into what we think they can, we might be in cap trouble in 3 years. Hard to predict where the cap will be but I have it at around $90M for the 21/22 season. If Duchene puts up a fuss and want's $8.5M? I'm not going to say no. That's how we lost Radulov. Bergevin was scared of a $7.5M cap hit in 2017 but that looks like good value today.

I have also changed my priority. I might have Edler ahead of Duchene now. Edler for 2 years (3 tops) at $6M fits.

Reactions: Vachon23

robicgi

Oct 17, 2018
The plan is only to move him to wing if Kotkaniemi and Poehling turn into who we think they can. Call Duchene insurance and he plays effectively on wing if we need him to. This is a good problem to have. I don't consider Duchene a game changer for us but I'm not going to get picky with UFA's like him who want to play for Montreal. We are not going to be able to add an asset for free like this too often. Same BS comments I heard about when we signed Radulov. Reasons why he would not fit us and he was compared to Semin. Duchene's skill and skating fits our team strategy

However, I have come to the conclusion that Duchene only fits if the cap hit is $8M max. If he wants more, let him try somewhere else. It's risky to sign him for more cause if the youth turn into what we think they can, we might be in cap trouble in 3 years. Hard to predict where the cap will be but I have it at around $90M for the 21/22 season. If Duchene puts up a fuss and want's $8.5M? I'm not going to say no. That's how we lost Radulov. Bergevin was scared of a $7.5M cap hit in 2017 but that looks like good value today.

I have also changed my priority. I might have Edler ahead of Duchene now. Edler for 2 years (3 tops) at $6M fits.

I get your point about adding talent. Its something we desperately need. Just not sold on a 55 to 60 pt center at 8 mil. Edler i like but i would push for Ghost or Murray or both. If not them then 27 or younger D as to fit with our core moving forward. If im spending 8m plus on a UFA i want it to be for one of our needs.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I get your point about adding talent. Its something we desperately need. Just not sold on a 55 to 60 pt center at 8 mil. Edler i like but i would push for Ghost or Murray or both. If not them then 27 or younger D as to fit with our core moving forward. If im spending 8m plus on a UFA i want it to be for one of our needs.

I don't think we can pin down Duchene as a for sure 55-60 pts center. Plus the $8M cap hit will not be as high as you think half way through the 7 year contract when the salary cap is $90M - $95M. It's like thinking a starting goalie is still worth $5 - $7M range forever. That's a thing of the past.

$6M AAV (two years ago) = $8M next year. Think about that for a bit. The salary cap grew $4.5M last season and rumored to grow $3.5M this off season. That's $8M in inflation for 2 years which is substantially more than pre-Vegas. A safe inflation number to use is $3M per year IMO. But when Seattle comes in, it puts extra pressure for more inflation.

If you are afraid to overpay slightly, you will be left out. Said it 100 times now... this is how we lost Radulov. We were too conservative on a top 6 talent.

Last edited:

robicgi

Oct 17, 2018
I don't think we can pin down Duchene as a for sure 55-60 pts center. Plus the $8M cap hit will not be as high as you think half way through the contract when the salary cap is $90M - $95M. It's like thinking a starting goalie is still worth $5 - $7M range forever. That's a thing of the past.

$6M AAV (two years ago) = $8M next year. Think about that for a bit.

I do get that the cap is projected to increase and that 8m is prob gonna play out like 6.5 or 7 (might not even get him for 8) I just feel we would be better served addressing the D situation or going after a game changer. Not easy to get UFAs to sign here so i also get the view that we should go after a player that may want to sign here i just feel Duchene is not the guy we need. Even if Duchene puts up 70pts i still feel he is redundant with this team. Domi showed he can put up 70 as a C (only 1 season i know) and danault has done a fine job as 2C (although he would fit perfect as 3C) so i dont see Duchene as a need as i feel 1 of Kotka/poeling/Suzuki can potentially fill that 2C role or maybe even fill a 1C role and bump Domi to 2C. Not that i dont like Duchene just that i see no reward really by doing this.

I think we both agree this team needs to make upgrades though.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I do get that the cap is projected to increase and that 8m is prob gonna play out like 6.5 or 7 (might not even get him for 8) I just feel we would be better served addressing the D situation or going after a game changer. Not easy to get UFAs to sign here so i also get the view that we should go after a player that may want to sign here i just feel Duchene is not the guy we need. Even if Duchene puts up 70pts i still feel he is redundant with this team. Domi showed he can put up 70 as a C (only 1 season i know) and danault has done a fine job as 2C (although he would fit perfect as 3C) so i dont see Duchene as a need as i feel 1 of Kotka/poeling/Suzuki can potentially fill that 2C role or maybe even fill a 1C role and bump Domi to 2C. Not that i dont like Duchene just that i see no reward really by doing this.

I think we both agree this team needs to make upgrades though.

- I'm game for Duchene, Panarin, or Skinner
- I'm game for Edler (not Gardiner)
- I'm game for Karlsson

Realistically, I think Duchene or Edler. Don't think Panarin, Skinner, or Karlsson considers Montreal. After all these options, I think the next available UFA's who consider Montreal are Alzner risky types

But yes, we need to be careful with who we sign, how long, and how much. It's not simple and I do like having conversations on various options and considering the risks. Playing Armchair GM is what we do as fans and a lot of us know a lot about hockey

robicgi

Oct 17, 2018
- I'm game for Duchene, Panarin, or Skinner
- I'm game for Edler (not Gardiner)
- I'm game for Karlsson

Realistically, I think Duchene or Edler. Don't think Panarin, Skinner, or Karlsson considers Montreal. After all these options, I think the next available UFA's who consider Montreal are Alzner risky types

But yes, we need to be careful with who we sign, how long, and how much

Panarin would be awesome but im like you and dont see it happening.

Karlsson would be awesome as well but ive seen some posters suggest hes not the same player now. I havent really been following him so not sure if thats true.

Skinner is more of what we need but will he put the same numbers up here. Not sure but id prob take the risk on him over Duchene. Mainly because i feel he fills a need better.

Nice to have a respectful debate on here for a change. Cheers and have a great day.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Karlsson would be awesome as well but ive seen some posters suggest hes not the same player now. I havent really been following him so not sure if thats true.

Skinner is more of what we need but will he put the same numbers up here. Not sure but id prob take the risk on him over Duchene. Mainly because i feel he fills a need better.

Nice to have a respectful debate on here for a change. Cheers and have a great day.

We are close on what we think fits and don't fit (or don't come).

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
I would play Domi on Duchenes wing

Sign Panarin or Eberle

If we sign Karlsson, we could trade Petry for a top tier LD or LD prospect

Reactions: Theodore450

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
There is no room to sign Karlsson. Massive cap dumping needs to happen to make room for Karlsson.

Lets say they can unload Callahan. That's 8 players to sign with $15.8M in cap space. 8 players include Karlsson and Point? Who else are they moving out that they have to replace on the depth chart? What prospects do they have that fill their holes?

It don't add up. Even if they bridge Point ($5M ish) and they get Karlsson on a team friendly deal ($9M ish), they still have to sign 6 players with $1.8M in cap space. Then who's next that gets dumped? How do they replace the guy they dumped?

Thanks. You saved me from writing the same thing.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

It woul be interesting to try to fit Skinner in. First of all if ee got him, I'd like ro see us move Byron for a 2nd because we'd be too small.

Second, I could see him doing well either on Domi's wing (Skinner-Domi-Shaw) or, if that line is too small, with Kk or Poehling on the 3rd line (Skinner-KK/Poehling-Drouin/Weal)

We're really tiny on the wings and should try to upgrade the size.

Would the rangers be interested in Kreider for Drouin?

robicgi

Oct 17, 2018
It woul be interesting to try to fit Skinner in. First of all if ee got him, I'd like ro see us move Byron for a 2nd because we'd be too small.

Second, I could see him doing well either on Domi's wing (Skinner-Domi-Shaw) or, if that line is too small, with Kk or Poehling on the 3rd line (Skinner-KK/Poehling-Drouin/Weal)

We're really tiny on the wings and should try to upgrade the size.

Would the rangers be interested in Kreider for Drouin?

Totally agree on the lack of size as an issue. If we went after skinner i would assume it would be top 2 lines though.
Kreider might fit but im ok with giving Drouin one more year to see if he can figure it out. If we trade him i would rather a LD though.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Skinner, Eberle, Pannarin, Duchesne...we already have Domi, Drouin, Byron, Gallagher, Tatar. Are we planning a munchkin colony? We've been down this road, unless we can add size and skill it's gonna be difficult to go far in the playoffs.

Reactions: ArtPeur

badi

Jan 21, 2008
As usual good Free agents Will use Habs to increase interest elsewhere and not sign here
Thats what happens when you have
- Crazy taxes
- Crazy Media coverage
- Bad GM

You can add crappy Weather also in the Mix when wives are involved,,,

BeastMode420

Jan 30, 2018
Defense should be N.1 priority not offense

The thing is we will probably acquire a N.6 dmen for a 5th round pick

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Since we know that Panarin is not coming in MTL I would sign Anders Lee and Ben Chiarot this summer.

Tatar-Domi-Gallagher
Lee-Kotkaniemi-Shaw
Drouin-Danault-Lehkonen
Byron-Poehling-Armia
Weal

Mete-Weber
Chiarot-Petry
Kulak-Juulsen
Folin

Price
Lindgren

Of course if we could upgrade our LD by trading Drouin, Byron or Armia could fill that spot pretty well....

I think my UFA shopping is pretty reasonable

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Since we know that Panarin is not coming in MTL I would sign Anders Lee and Ben Chiarot this summer.

Tatar-Domi-Gallagher
Lee-Kotkaniemi-Shaw
Drouin-Danault-Lehkonen
Byron-Poehling-Armia
Weal

Mete-Weber
Chiarot-Petry
Kulak-Juulsen
Folin

Price
Lindgren

Of course if we could upgrade our LD by trading Drouin, Byron or Armia could fill that spot pretty well....

I think my UFA shopping is pretty reasonable

Isles are winning (always helps when trying to retain players) and lee is the team Captain. My first choice, above Panarin, Duchene and Skinner IS Lee, but I think New York throws everything at him to keep him and I don't believe he signs elsewhere.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
My problem with signing Duchene and playing him at center is the developpement of Kotkaniemi and Poehling. Duchene and Danault would take massive Minutes. Trade Tatar

make Duchene take Important faceoffs.

eventually run
Duchene - Kotkaniemi - Suzuki
Domi - Poehling - Shaw ( upgrade when you can. Ylonen, Caufield, via Trade etc)
Drouin - Danault - Gallagher

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
My problem with signing Duchene and playing him at center is the developpement of Kotkaniemi and Poehling. Duchene and Danault would take massive Minutes. Trade Tatar

make Duchene take Important faceoffs.

eventually run
Duchene - Kotkaniemi - Suzuki
Domi - Poehling - Shaw ( upgrade when you can. Ylonen, Caufield, via Trade etc)
Drouin - Danault - Gallagher

As far as KK and Poehling's developments are concerned, I would have no problem with each playing 20 minutes a night in Laval in all situations, under Bouchard. They may develop more that way than being in Montreal. Eventually perhaps Domi and Duchene move to center to make room for KK and Poehling. Giroux moved to the wing for Couturier during Couturier's break out year and Giroux was among the league leaders in points during that year - from the wing. It's a nice problem to have to have too many wingers. Even if KK only goes back to center in 5 years, when Duchene is past his prime, KK will be doing so at the age of 23 - still a full career ahead of him at center. Having said that, so far KK looks more comfortable at center, his natural position.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
As far as KK and Poehling's developments are concerned, I would have no problem with each playing 20 minutes a night in Laval in all situations, under Bouchard. They may develop more that way than being in Montreal. Eventually perhaps Domi and Duchene move to center to make room for KK and Poehling. Giroux moved to the wing for Couturier during Couturier's break out year and Giroux was among the league leaders in points during that year - from the wing. It's a nice problem to have to have too many wingers. Even if KK only goes back to center in 5 years, when Duchene is past his prime, KK will be doing so at the age of 23 - still a full career ahead of him at center. Having said that, so far KK looks more comfortable at center, his natural position.

i was all in for him to play in the liiga and in the AHL last year, but with the season he had + an upcoming preseason and how Montreal performed overall, it's a point of no return, theres 0 way Kotkaniemi goes to Laval, there would be a riot and average fan wouldn't understand the benefit and i also think at this point hes an NHLer and needs a bigger role!

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
i was all in for him to play in the liiga and in the AHL last year, but with the season he had + an upcoming preseason and how Montreal performed overall, it's a point of no return, theres 0 way Kotkaniemi goes to Laval, there would be a riot and average fan wouldn't understand the benefit and i also think at this point hes an NHLer and needs a bigger role!

If you have the chance to add an asset like Duchene without giving up assets, you can't pass on it. It won't hurt KK long term. If there is a danger of hurting KK long term, then Duchene goes on the wing. But I don't think there is. Fans would understand in the short term that, if we were able to add Duchene, Kotkaniemi can either play on the wing or in Laval. When KK is good and ready, he'll be able to beat out Danault anyway, and Danault can play on the wing.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Do you think that because of their run in the Playoffs , Panarin , Duchesne and Bobrovsky could re-sign with Columbus ?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Let someone else make the Karlsson mistake.

Karlsson looks god awful right now, no way I sign him

Lol Karlsson is a mirage you are signing the name, thats it

He's hurt, can't reliably judge an injured player.

Any team signing him will make it contingent on a physical and reviewing his medical records -- something no fan has access to. If he's as diminished and incapable as all of you suggest, it will come out during medicals.

BeastMode420

Jan 30, 2018
Lol people really think Duchene will sign with the Habs to play the wings ... You are delusional .. If anything Kotkaniemi and Poehling will move to the wing and Duchene stays at center ... Duchene is a vet and if he signs anywhere its under his condition.

He will not be an organizational puppet at 9 million a year

The kid nostalgia to wear the Habs jersey doesn't exist. UFA are grown man and millionaire. They are not 12 years old anymore. They are not in AWE over the history of the Montreal Canadians or playing for them, it's not Disney World.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad