Your top 7 for the 2024 draft

Laboeuf

Apr 14, 2013
Some reason I think Tij Iginla might be our pick.
Reminds me a lot of the Brady Tkachuck year when we could have picked him over KK.

Most likely we need big Center and winger.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
At some point, they gonna have to trade some of these D assets for better forwards.
They sure are. Definitely.

The d corps is a house cards until the kids prove themselves and force out the vets. Remove the veteran presence too soon and it falls.

I think they should trim, but not be too rushed in doing so.

Reactions: Scriptor and 1909

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017
Demidov doesn’t seem to carry a lot of the negativity that sort of surrounded Michkov last year. I was wondering if you guys think that’s purely related to the contract thing or if he seems to have a good head on his shoulders, harder working all around player, etc. Thx

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Demidov doesn’t seem to carry a lot of the negativity that sort of surrounded Michkov last year. I was wondering if you guys think that’s purely related to the contract thing or if he seems to have a good head on his shoulders, harder working all around player, etc. Thx
Demidov’s father also wasn’t murdered. Less drama.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Either Demidov has the Russian factor and we won’t take him or he doesn’t and he won’t fall to us. Don’t see many scenarios where he ends up a Hab.

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
Michkov had negativity surrounding him because he's Michkov, not because he was russian. Not saying there aren't other risks in drafting russians, especially the whole war thing, but I never subscribed to the racism accusations to explain the vibe around Michkov.

Reactions: ZUKI and 1909

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
1 - Celebrini
2 - Demidov
3 - Lindstrom
4 - Iginla
5 - Catton
6 - Eiserman
7 - Levshunov

a foward for sure...
After passing on Tkachuk i feel it would be a huge mistake not to take Iginla if he's there.

I like this list, I'm just having a hard time reconciling who I prefer between Catton and Iginla. As I believe Catton has the higher upside.

Give me one of the top 3 all day, that way we don't have to decide.

Reactions: Rozz and Ozmodiar

Jul 6, 2016
Michkov had negativity surrounding him because he's Michkov, not because he was russian. Not saying there aren't other risks in drafting russians, especially the whole war thing, but I never subscribed to the racism accusations to explain the vibe around Michkov.
Right. Habs have picked up two Russians in that draft. And IF Demidov is available at their turn, they will jump on him.

Reactions: Rozz

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Some reason I think Tij Iginla might be our pick.
Reminds me a lot of the Brady Tkachuck year when we could have picked him over KK.

Most likely we need big Center and winger.
Not sure who he reminds me of most, but there’s quite a bit to like. He’s above average across the board and those guys always grade the highest for me and tend to pan out. I also like the fact he’s young and starting to really breakout, suggests the best is yet to come. I also think his skill set would be a nice fit as a rugged winger who can score. Really just hope he aces the rest of the pre draft process, starting with the U18s, and elevates himself to an obvious pick as supposed to the reach he’d be currently.

Reactions: bopeep and Rapala

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
I like this list, I'm just having a hard time reconciling who I prefer between Catton and Iginla. As I believe Catton has the higher upside.

Give me one of the top 3 all day, that way we don't have to decide.
Catton has a lot more skill.

I like Iginla, but sorry, Catton breaks down defenses with skill and vision. Iginla is more direct - but let’s not confuse him with Brady T who dominates physically (225 lbs).

If they want a play driver it’s Catton. Put Dach on one wing and another 6’+ 200lb + player on the other and let them cook.

Reactions: Rozz and HabbyGuy

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
Catton has a lot more skill.

I like Iginla, but sorry, Catton breaks down defenses with skill and vision. Iginla is more direct - but let’s not confuse him with Brady T who dominates physically (225 lbs).

If they want a play driver it’s Catton. Put Dach on one wing and another 6’+ 200lb + player on the other and let them cook.

I agree with Catton. Much higher upside.

I believe Tij is getting a bit overrated due to his last name and it worries me. He's not the power forward people are envisioning. I do like him though and seems like a natural fit.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Demidov’s father also wasn’t murdered. Less drama.

Was he murdered...or found dead (natural cause ???)
Sorry to jump in here but Michkov's father was not murdered. There was no claim, charge, investigation, or comment from anyone or any authority to say such a thing. Contrary to what some might think, Russians (like all people on Earth) also care about murder and will also investigate whether foul play has taken place. Canadian media was highly irresponsible (and jingoistic) to publicly state that Michkov's father was murdered... there was no grounds to make such speculation. Imagine how insulting and painful it is to Michkov's family that mindless hockey commentators keep saying this. We talk about mental health and diversity and all sorts of progressive social values but when it comes to the young Russian that goes right out the window.

The man had heart issues and died, his relationship with Michkov seemed like that of an domineering hockey dad... but it doesn't mean the old man was murdered or that Michkov should endure such speculation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Walrus26

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
I think it’s crazy to even entertain the possibility of Levshunov dropping to us. That would be a mistake by the other teams (in the case of Habs at 5 or 6) to not pick a cornerstone 1RD. If he does, there’s no way we go elsewhere but Levshunov. I’m shook at the idea to tell you the truth.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Question for those who know more about drafting and prospect.

Understanding that MTL is dead set on drafting a forward and let say the lottery does not change the current ranking AND that the draft unfold like this, how far down would you be ready to trade down and what would be the price you would want to make that move? For example, at 5 a team like Ottawa may want to jump on the chance to draft one of the top D, would you be ok with that, knowing that MTL could still get one of Catton or Iginla at 7? and what would be an ok return???

1. SJS: Celebrini
2. CHI: Demidov
3. ANA: Lidstrom
4. CBJ: Levshunov
5. MTL:
6. Utah:
7. OTT:
8. SEA:
9. CGY:
10. NJD:
11. BUF:
12. PHI:
13 Min:
14. SJS:
15. DET:
16. STL:
They should draft BPA and not by position and learn from previous mistakes.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
They should draft BPA and not by position and learn from previous mistakes.
I agree, but the way I read people's assessment of prospects is that after Celebrini... it is so close that players are interchangeable. Team's lists are bound to be quite different. Should MTL get an offer to move down and still get their next player on their list... why not do it.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I agree, but the way I read people's assessment of prospects is that after Celebrini... it is so close that players are interchangeable. Team's lists are bound to be quite different. Should MTL get an offer to move down and still get their next player on their list... why not do it.

The reason not to do it is that the Habs don't need quantity.. they have an insane amount of draft picks, they don't need more. They need quality. So trading down and not getting that player would be a cardinal sin at this point.

Reactions: Habs

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
The reason not to do it is that the Habs don't need quantity.. they have an insane amount of draft picks, they don't need more. They need quality. So trading down and not getting that player would be a cardinal sin at this point.
I think your list goes as follow:
Celebrini
Demidov
Catton
Lindstrom
Dickinson
Iginla
Parekh

Say the draft unfold like this:

5. MTL:
6. Utah:
7. OTT:
8. SEA:
9. CGY:

And say you know that none of Utha, Ott and SEA will take Catton, you dont move down as low as 9 to get him + something else so CGY can draft Iginla?

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I think your list goes as follow:
Celebrini
Demidov
Catton
Lindstrom
Dickinson
Iginla
Parekh

Say the draft unfold like this:

5. MTL:
6. Utah:
7. OTT:
8. SEA:
9. CGY:

And say you know that none of Utha, Ott and SEA will take Catton, you dont move down as low as 9 to get him + something else so CGY can draft Iginla?

I wouldn't because like I said, I'd rather secure the guy I want. I might know those 3 teams won't take him, but what if a team calls Ottawa and gives them a trade up package to jump us for Catton?

You can't control the entire draft, so I'd rather explore trading up if we can, and if we can't, stick and pick and then start working phones to see what I can do to get up higher in the first round with the Jets pick.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
I wouldn't because like I said, I'd rather secure the guy I want. I might know those 3 teams won't take him, but what if a team calls Ottawa and gives them a trade up package to jump us for Catton?

You can't control the entire draft, so I'd rather explore trading up if we can, and if we can't, stick and pick and then start working phones to see what I can do to get up higher in the first round with the Jets pick.
Fair enough. Good point about not controlling what others can do. That said, I also prefer moving up.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Fair enough. Good point about not controlling what others can do. That said, I also prefer moving up.

And I would also say that, in other circumstances, I would be okay with getting paid to move down if you were confident in how the board -could- fall.

Just that we've moved beyond that point and I think identifying players and try everything to get them is our drafting stage now.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I agree with Catton. Much higher upside.

I believe Tij is getting a bit overrated due to his last name and it worries me. He's not the power forward people are envisioning. I do like him though and seems like a natural fit.
I am one of the Catton fanclub member but I still expect Tij Iginla to be drafted higher and I would not mind at all if he is the Habs choice. He is amazing at puck protection, his shot release his amazing, he also possess good hockey IQ, he is an Iginla but I would not consider him a full power forward like his father, more like a high compete sniper. I think he would fit perfectly as a top 6 winger in the NHL. He would need to work a bit on his skating and his get stronger but I think he could start in the NHL quite possibly as a 19 years old, if developed properly.

Reactions: Rozz and HabbyGuy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad