Your top 7 for the 2024 draft

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
Sorry to be Debbie downer. I no longer consider dach in Habs plans. If he can play a full season great. I doubt it. Move on.
Boston said the same thing about Bergeron back then. Finally they decided to wait and see instead

Apr 28, 2010
I honestly didn't have a problem with drafting Slaf/Reinbacher at the time. But this time, we really have to draft a forward. I will be disappointed with another dman.

Reactions: Rozz

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I don’t regret the Reinbacher pick last year but I was so set on Michkov. I had Reinbacher as #6 on my draft board so he wasn’t a stretch by any means. I just had Michkov a lot higher.

Hindsight is always 20/20 but how much easier would this draft be if the Habs drafted Michkov last year and they were looking to draft a defenceman this year.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I don’t regret the Reinbacher pick last year but I was so set on Michkov. I had Reinbacher as #6 on my draft board so he wasn’t a stretch by any means. I just had Michkov a lot higher.

Hindsight is always 20/20 but how much easier would this draft be if the Habs drafted Michkov last year and they were looking to draft a defenceman this year.

This draft would be a lot harder if we drafted Michkov last year. There's only 3 RD available that could go top 10 (Levshunov, Parekh, and Yakemchuk). To have a chance at Levshunov, the habs would need to win the lottery, but they would pick Celebrini over him for sure at a 1, and at 2 it would be a real tough decision between Demidov and Levshunov. At 5, you will have a shot at Parekh and Yakemchuk, but is either really a player you want to add to the habs top 4 that will already have Hutson and Mailloux?
If Guhle and Mailloux is one pair, then a pairing of Hutson - Parekh/Yakemchuk doesn't look too good on paper. Hutson needs a dman who is responsible defensively, which Parekh and Yakemchuk are not. So the decision will be a tough one to make.

With the Reinbacher pick last year, drafting with our first pick this year is extremely easy. The habs definitely need to draft a forward, and there's several good forwards available.
You just pick whoever is available between
1. Celebrini
2. Demidov
3. Lindstrom
4. Iginla

It doesn't get much easier.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
This draft would be a lot harder if we drafted Michkov last year. There's only 3 RD available that could go top 10 (Levshunov, Parekh, and Yakemchuk). To have a chance at Levshunov, the habs would need to win the lottery, but they would pick Celebrini over him for sure at a 1, and at 2 it would be a real tough decision between Demidov and Levshunov. At 5, you will have a shot at Parekh and Yakemchuk, but is either really a player you want to add to the habs top 4 that will already have Hutson and Mailloux?
If Guhle and Mailloux is one pair, then a pairing of Hutson - Parekh/Yakemchuk doesn't look too good on paper. Hutson needs a dman who is responsible defensively, which Parekh and Yakemchuk are not. So the decision will be a tough one to make.

With the Reinbacher pick last year, drafting with our first pick this year is extremely easy. The habs definitely need to draft a forward, and there's several good forwards available.
1. Celebrini
2. Demidov
3. Lindstrom
4. Iginla

Catton and Helenius are in that group as well and there will be nothing easy about deciding who to choose from this group when 3 or more are very likely to be available.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

1. Celebrini
2. Demidov
3. Lindstrom
4. Iginla

We could be set on the right side with Guhle - Reinbacher - Mailloux.

While on the left, we could draft a long term replacement for Matheson: Matheson - Hutson - Xhekaj/Engstrom

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

It would be worse because we would be looking for all situations, minute eating RD and there isn't one.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
We could be set on the right side with Guhle - Reinbacher - Mailloux.

While on the left, we could draft a long term replacement for Matheson: Matheson - Hutson - Xhekaj/Engstrom
Yes, if Guhle were to continue playing on the right side, we could, earlier on, see D-Corps of:

Matheson-Guhle
Hutson-Reinbacher
Xhekaj-Mailloux

Exquisite, on paper, at least, even if playing Guhle on the right side is not the best option going forward.

Mid long terms D-Corps of:

Guhle -Mailloux
Hutson - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Engstrom/Barron

OR

Guhle - Reinbacher
Hutson - Engstrom/Mailloux
Xhekaj -Mailloux/Engstrom

might be better.

• Love
Reactions: Rozz and 26Mats

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Yes, if Guhle were to continue playing on the right side, we could, earlier on, see D-Corps of:

Matheson-Guhle
Hutson-Reinbacher
Xhekaj-Mailloux
That D corps would guarantee us a top 10 pick next year and I'm not sure that's what management is wanting. With respect to Guhle, it would be disappointing if they don't move him back to LD.

I'd like to see Hutson, Reinbacher and Mailloux start in Laval next season and then bring them up accordingly. Things could change if we make some additional moves this summer to free up some space on our backend as we're crowded at the moment. Then throw in the additional development/advancement these young guys could make over the course of the summer and in camp. Just about too many options but that a good problem to have.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
That D corps would guarantee us a top 10 pick next year and I'm not sure that's what management is wanting. With respect to Guhle, it would be disappointing if they don't move him back to LD.

I'd like to see Hutson, Reinbacher and Mailloux start in Laval next season and then bring them up accordingly. Things might change if we make some additional moves this summer to free up some space on our backend as we're crowded at the moment.
Exactly, I love the fans excitement about the prospect but let them earn their spot, Guhle is not ready to become a first pair defenseman. Also, even if Hutson has showed very good flashes we need to manage his ice time next year as he has never played that many games and it will be his first year as a pro player.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
We were saying this BEFORE the draft last year so it's not hindsight.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
We were saying this BEFORE the draft last year so it's not hindsight.
True but it seems doubtful that anyone was predicting Dach to only play 4 periods. Had he stayed healthy for most of the year we are probably picking outside the top-10. You shouldn't plan your drafts out super far ahead, pretty sure Philly thought they were getting a top-10 pick this year, when Bergevin took over he fully expected another top pick after Galchenyuk.

Ending up right for the wrong reasons isn't foresight it's luck.

Reactions: Draft

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

I'd like to see Hutson, Reinbacher and Mailloux start in Laval next season and then bring them up accordingly. Things could change if we make some additional moves this summer to free up some space on our backend as we're crowded at the moment. Then throw in the additional development/advancement these young guys could make over the course of the summer and in camp. Just about too many options but that a good problem to have.
Matheson-Guhle
Hutson-Reinbacher
Xhekaj-Mailloux

would more than likely not be the starting D-Corps in Montreal next season -- And that's not what I am advocating, for the benefit of properly developing the youngsters on our backend.

It has been suggested that Montreal will not trade Savard this offseason in order to play the veteran RHD with Hutson next season, at least until the trade deadline.

Reinbacher will also likely start next season in Laval, barring a spectacular training camp in Montreal, but, since Reinbacher is not a particularly spectacular kind of D, that likely won't come to pass.

As with Slafkovsky, Montreal likely has high aspirations for Hutson and they might decide to play him immediately in Montreal to have a stronger role in his development.

If Xhekaj has healed properly, I wouldn't be surprised to see him paired with Mailloux if the latter has a strong training camp.Otherwise, Mailloux will start the season in Laval again.

This would mean seeing Guhle play on the right side with Matheson again and Savard play in a 2nd pairing role again.

Not ideal, in both cases, but, with development as the priority, perhaps an acceptable happenstance.

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson- Savard
Xhekaj -Mailloux/Barron

The D-Corps I suggested:

Matheson-Guhle
Hutson-Reinbacher
Xhekaj-Mailloux

Once the younger Ds have more experience, would then be far from a D-Corps that guarantees a top -10 pick, as you initially suggested.

What would support a higher finishing couple of years, might look more like:

Guhle - Reinbacher (not flashy but highly effective as a shutdown pair with offensive upside)
Hutson - Engstrom (Mobile, offensive pairing with Engstrom as a defensive safety net)
Xhekaj - Mailloux (Physically imposing, but also a puck-moving pairing)

Outside of Hutson, no D would be under 6'2" and all the larger Ds could play physical style, on top of playing a strong transition game.

Reactions: Rozz

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
We are currently sitting on 8 NHL D.
Matheson - Guhle
Xhekaj - Savard
Struble - Barron
Harris - Kovacevik

Even a trading someone this summer doesn't really open a spot so I would imagine that they will take the more patient approach and leave all 3 in the AHL to start the season. At the end of the day they want to give all 3 of Hutson, Reinbacher, Mailloux ice time first and foremost.

That said I do expect we will see them at some point in the season since injuries will open up a spot and then it's just a matter of them taking the opportunity and running with it much like Struble did last year.

Reactions: HabbyGuy and bsl

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
Guhle playing on the left in long term would mean one of Matheson, Hutson, Xhekaj is not part of the long term (5 to 8 years) plan.

Guhle
Matheson
Hutson
Harris
Xhekaj
Strubble
Engstrom
All our left D with nhl hope and potential.

I dont think Matheson is in the plan long term, Ill be more incline to give a last contract before retirement to Savard to gives us some time to figure out our RD. Can Barron pull it off ?? or we need to look elsewhere

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Matheson is 30, turns 31 mid next season, I don't think he's in any long term plans at all.
It depends on what you define as long term. Are the next 5 to 8 years long term?

Either way, I would say we could draft a D to replace Matheson long term with our top 7 overall pick (though I think we draft a forward).

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It depends on what you define as long term. Are the next 5 to 8 years long term?

Either way, I would say we could draft a D to replace Matheson long term with our top 7 overall pick (though I think we draft a forward).

I was going off your post that said 5-8 years so if he's turning 31 next season, I don't think he's in the plans to be here at 36-39. What Hughes does with him will be very interesting though as he's got to have value but I'm not a fan at all as he reminds me a bit of Gostisbehere.

For the draft this summer, Matheson imo wouldn't even be a thought on their draft at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad