Your top 7 for the 2024 draft

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Speaking of winning the lottery….

Let’s say we hypothetically win the lottery and SAN José wins the second one….

SAN Jose calls up Hughes and offers pick #2 and pick #14……do we do it!?

You’d more then likely end up with Demidov at 2 and Greentree at 14 (or Sennecke)

Just asking.. :)
Plus de darts!

Reactions: jaffy27

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Speaking of winning the lottery….

Let’s say we hypothetically win the lottery and SAN José wins the second one….

SAN Jose calls up Hughes and offers pick #2 and pick #14……do we do it!?

You’d more then likely end up with Demidov at 2 and Greentree at 14 (or Sennecke)

Just asking.. :)
Absolutely not, Celebrini is someone you build around.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
I remember "wanting" Zadina that draft, i seem to recall many posters in here trashing Tkachuk, like he was this overrated slow winger. Admitedly I never really started self-scouting until 2020, i used to just look at stats, and read reviews.

But when they drafted KK i was happy too, thinking he might be a Kopitar... year 1 he played great, brimming with confidence which gave him a decent y2 start, even radio here in Toronto talked about him..

He always look "wobbly" i thought that he just needed to grow into his body.. but man he must have pissed off MT bc he basically became 4th line bust by the y3.
My guess is, he just wasnt that smart, likeable sure, but clearly low iq.

This is why interviews are sooo important. I can say with 100% certainty that KK would not have been selected by HUGO.. and this is why having intellect as your GM can make or break a team..

MB simply didn't have the intellect to recognize when a player answers questions you can tell who they are (nothing to do with the q/a).. it explains the woefully inept 1st rnd busts all happened around his tenure.

If I was a gambling man, i would have put alot of money down on MB picking Michkov, Wright etc..

Which is why after seeing Slaf this year, i know Reinbacher was the right choice.
One of the reasons I rarely say anything on these threads, I have preferences but they are only based on what I read. Some of the best stuff IMHO comes from some on this board. Mostly from those not married to their favorites.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Not having Lindstrom on your list doesn’t help its credibility. He’s almost guaranteed to be taken in the top 7, if not much higher. I think he’ll go top 5 at worst.

But that's my top-7, I have all these players in front of him, I'm not an expert and I will be wrong on many players.

After more shifts by shifts, he reminds me of Pacioretty (in the NHL) with more compete in him. We will see what part of his game will translate to the NHL. He won't be a center, if he reaches his full potential, IMO.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
But that's my top-7, I have all these players in front of him, I'm not an expert and I will be wrong on many players.

After more shifts by shifts, he reminds me of Pacioretty (in the NHL) with more compete in him. We will see what part of his game will translate to the NHL. He won't be a center, if he reaches his full potential, IMO.
We’ll see. He sounds “meaner” than Max but Max in his prime was a hell of a player. And he got us Nick. I’d be happy if Lindstrom reaches Max level, even at pick 5 or 6.

Last edited:

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
We’ll see. He sounds “meaner” than Max but Max in his prime was a hell of a player. And he got us Nick. I’d be happy if Lindstrom reaches Max level, even at pick 5 or 6.

The thing is, I'm not sure if he will reach that potential and I don't know what part of his game will translate to the NHL, If he's a meaner Pacioretty for us, of course he will be a great pick.

Reactions: Runner77

Jul 6, 2016
Hopefully, Habs gonna draft 5th or better. 60% possibilities they slip to 6th or 7th.

1- Celibrini
2- Dadonov
3- Levshunov
4- Buium
5- Lindstrom
6- Parekh
7- Catton

If Habs are really looking for a forward and Lindstrom is unavailable, I hope they go for Catton or Iginla, two pretty safe picks

Many teams swill regret not drafting Eiserman, a bigger Caufield.

Reactions: Habsrule

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
He’ll also have to score a lot of goals since we won’t have many forwards who can score . . . This is why passing on Michkov, or even Ryan Leonard, last year, when this year’s draft is so deep in high end D, was so F’ing dumb. We’re going to draft a forward with our first pick, it’s pretty obvious. As far as Florian, he’s a very long long shot to make the NHL.
After watching him play in his short stint in the AHL, I think Florian has a better shot at making the NHL than you think. And frankly what I thought. The rate of this kid’s development has been a bit of a revelation.

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
I would go with Cole Eiserman.

Slafkovsky-Suzuki-Caufield
Eiserman-Dach-??
Tuch-Newhook-Roy
Xhekej-Evan’s-Beck
Armia Gallagher

I like the powerplay…
Slafkovsky Suzuki Caufield Dach Hutson Eiserman

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I remember "wanting" Zadina that draft, i seem to recall many posters in here trashing Tkachuk, like he was this overrated slow winger. Admitedly I never really started self-scouting until 2020, i used to just look at stats, and read reviews.

But when they drafted KK i was happy too, thinking he might be a Kopitar... year 1 he played great, brimming with confidence which gave him a decent y2 start, even radio here in Toronto talked about him..

He always look "wobbly" i thought that he just needed to grow into his body.. but man he must have pissed off MT bc he basically became 4th line bust by the y3.
My guess is, he just wasnt that smart, likeable sure, but clearly low iq.

This is why interviews are sooo important. I can say with 100% certainty that KK would not have been selected by HUGO.. and this is why having intellect as your GM can make or break a team..

MB simply didn't have the intellect to recognize when a player answers questions you can tell who they are (nothing to do with the q/a).. it explains the woefully inept 1st rnd busts all happened around his tenure.

If I was a gambling man, i would have put alot of money down on MB picking Michkov, Wright etc..

Which is why after seeing Slaf this year, i know Reinbacher was the right choice.
I don’t think anyone on the board wanted Tkachuk. He was viewed as a guy who grew early and succeeded against smaller less mature juniors and whose game wouldn’t translate. His game does have flaws.

KK looks like his ceiling was low now, but his development and his relationship with the team were handled about as badly as it could possibly have been done.

Zadina doesn’t look better.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Okay, I guess I'll be the only one to go with Eiserman as number two.

The potential is just too high to pass on here. The guys scores goals at an insane rate and is one of the youngest players in the draft. Yes, there are warts but under the right circumstances (ie good development) I think they can be improved. Good size, good skills... it's just a question of how moldable he is. Doesn't have the sizzle of Demidov or the power game of Lidstrom but I think he's too good to pass on.

Cellebrini
Eiserman
Lidstrom (if healthy)
Demidov
Catton
Iginla
Helenius

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Hopefully we can get a forward this time around

1. Celebrini
2. Demidov
3. Lindstrom
4. Catton
5. Eiserman
6. Connolly
7. Iginla

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I don’t think anyone on the board wanted Tkachuk. He was viewed as a guy who grew early and succeeded against smaller less mature juniors and whose game wouldn’t translate. His game does have flaws.

KK looks like his ceiling was low now, but his development and his relationship with the team were handled about as badly as it could possibly have been done.

Zadina doesn’t look better.

There were a lot of people who wanted/liked Tkachuk but the stat worshippers who tend to be the loudest as is common with opinionated people who don't understand the subject matter were out in full force burning him in effigy.

Zadina got the most love but props to @montreal who was lobbying for Quinn Hughes.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Lindstrom does not have the skating and the shot that Pacioretty had in his draft year, but he's way more physical than Max ever was. The fact his back is injured again with the kind of hockey he plays is really the big red flag.

Pacioretty's skating was the definition of efficiency. Long, powerful strides.

If Lindstrom can make some adjustments, he could be scary fast... He already is fast.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
There were a lot of people who wanted/liked Tkachuk but the stat worshippers who tend to be the loudest as is common with opinionated people who don't understand the subject matter were out in full force burning him in effigy.

Zadina got the most love but props to @montreal who was lobbying for Quinn Hughes.
Snake Boisvert had Hughes at #2 OA over Svechnikov... He was right, it seems, what a player Quinn has become.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
For the point of the hypothetical, let's say he's available.

For me, if Buium or Levshunov are there at 5, it would be hard to pass. If they're both gone, then the gap narrows and BPA isn't as clear, in which case it makes sense to lean towards a forward.
Buium was better than Hutson in Frozen 4. Plus 2 years younger. He could be homerun.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Celebrini

Demidov Lindstrom Tij

Yakemchuk, Lev, Buium, Dickinson, Parekh.

Happy with any of these. Obviously have a preference for a F but would not mind any of these D.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
That team need Levshunov big time. Their RD depth is basically non existant one of the worst prospect pool at RD also for a rebuilding team.
I want to use this post to comment on the whole BPA discussion that has been going on in this thread.

The BPA argument is only relevant if you're "reaching". So imagine if Ducks won the lottery. They clearly have the forwards already, and they are desperate for RD. Someone could argue they need Levshunov more than Celebrini. But here, advocating to pick Celebrini at #1 is saying "no, just pick the BPA".

If you're talking about Levshunov vs Demidov for example, we're not talking about BPA. These players are reasonably speaking in the same tier, nobody can realistically know how they will play out. It's a coin flip, and there's no BPA argument to be made in this case. If you choose Demidov simply because you feel like you're lacking scoring power upfront and you already have a decent blueline, you are not going against the BPA mentality.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I want to use this post to comment on the whole BPA discussion that has been going on in this thread.

The BPA argument is only relevant if you're "reaching". So imagine if Ducks won the lottery. They clearly have the forwards already, and they are desperate for RD. Someone could argue they need Levshunov more than Celebrini. But here, advocating to pick Celebrini at #1 is saying "no, just pick the BPA".

If you're talking about Levshunov vs Demidov for example, we're not talking about BPA. These players are reasonably speaking in the same tier, nobody can realistically know how they will play out. It's a coin flip, and there's no BPA argument to be made in this case. If you choose Demidov simply because you feel like you're lacking scoring power upfront and you already have a decent blueline, you are not going against the BPA mentality.
But it is not because players are classed in the same tier on public websites than they are on Montreal's draft list. Maybe Levshunov is seen as surefire top pair D and is 2 OA on Montreal's list and they have concerns about Demidov play and have him at 10 for many reasons? Who knows, really.

When people say draft BPA in the top 10, it means that most of the time, scouts have a strong opinion of who they want at their draft position. I think ''tiers'' really come into play later on in the draft, but even then team have draft lists they follow... These lists are not that long and teams often draft players in the 4th or 5th round that are in their top 30.

Basically, draft BPA means follow the damn list on draft day and trust your scouting staff. If you want to draft for needs, at least do it later in the draft if you are going to not follow your list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad