Your top 7 for the 2024 draft

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Plus Hutton, RHP and whoever else of similar stature graduates. Something has to give as you can’t have too many small-sized types. However, if we base it on what Hughes has been saying, he’ll go with the BPA and if that happens to be Catton at the Habs’ pick, I have to believe that’s who he’d take.
If Catton's comp is Point, then make the pick! point has lots of jam to his game, but many here saying he has no jam to his game
:huh:

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
The Habs, the Yotes, the Preds and... The Flyers had him there.

"It would only take Michkov to fall out of the Big Five for any one of Leonard, Dvorsky or Reinbacher to fill the void." -Bob McKenzie, Jun 22, 2023
Where did Bob have kk?

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Well since we know that the habs will pick no worse than 7th overall, it would be interesting to see who everyone has as there top 7 picks for the Montreal Canadiens. This would be the top 7 on Montreals list (or the top 7 you want the Habs to draft), not who you think will be the top 7 picks...ie I think there is a good chance Sam Dickinson will be on a lot of teams top 7 list, and a good chance he goes top 7, but I don't think he will be in Montreals top 7.

Here is my list:

1. M. Celebrini - could almost just ask for everyones pick 2-7, cause everyone's gonna have the same #1

2. C. Lindstrom - a little worried bout the injury question marks, but he seems to be the perfect type player for the Habs top 6

3. A. Levshunov - right D still worries me a little. This guy seems like a lock for a teams top 4. With Guhle, Reinbacher and Hutson I think that gives us an amazing top 4 going forward

4. I. Demidov - had a hard time figuring out where to put him (sometimes I have him at 2, sometimes as low as 6) Could see him fitting in with Newhook and Dach on an amazing 2nd line

5. T. Iginla - I just think this is exactly the type of player Hughes and Co. are looking to add to the team. Goalscorer, character, grit. If I had to put money on whom will be a hab after round 1 of the draft, right now, not knowing where we are going to pick, etc. I'd put my money on Iginla

6. Z. Parekh - see Levshunov at 3. Offensive numbers are crazy for a draft eligible D man.

7. B. Catton - I hate to say it but if he was 2 inches taller and 20 pounds heavier, he would probably be my number 2, and I don't always hold size that high. Would not be disappointed if he was the habs choice.

Look forward to reading others thoughts.
Holy shit, @Darz !!!!! Un revenant! Happy to see a thread led by you!

Reactions: Redux91 and FloJack

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
#1. Malcolm Celebrini <-- No explanation required

#2. Undecided for now.

2a. Ilya Demidov <-- Sublime skill, he will add excitement that we've been missing probably since Kovalev. It's highly possible Lindstrom is the better pick for us instead because of what he brings to the table, and I could be swayed to go Lindstrom instead.

2b. Kevin Lindstrom <-- The complete package of exactly what we need to add. A no brainer pick for Montreal. He might be a better option for us than Demidov. We need to carefully consider and try to forecast who would be better for us in the playoffs between Lindstrom and Demidov, and who would be better at age 25.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
1 - Celebrini - no brainer

2 - Demidov - second best player in the draft skill wise for forwards. Don’t overthink the Russian factor and just draft BPA forward

3 - Lindstrom - he is exactly what the Habs need. Big center with size and goal scoring ability

4 - Levshunov - here is the thing, I can’t say I have really watched him much this year. As much as defence is the Habs strength in youth they still have a need for a potential top pair RD

5 - Dickinson - I have watched him a lot this year and he is an absolute stud. He has size and skill. There are other defencemen who have a higher ceiling but Dickinson is a coaches dream. 20 plus minutes a night who can play in any situation

6 - Catton - just take him and hope his offensive game translates to the NHL. He has massive skill and is not as small as some make him out to be

7 - Eiserman - he has just been over scouted. All he does is score goals and that is what the Habs need. Even if he is a Caufield / Boeser type it is a great player. Goals are at a premium in hockey and he scores them. Don’t overthink it

I feel like I should put a disclaimer here. I have three honourable mentions.

Parekh and Buium I am lumping together. Both have tremendous talent are high offensive defencemen. With Matheson, Hutson and Mailloux I don’t see them as that high of a need. Now if Habs management are absolutely sold on them being NHL stars then that is why they make a lot more money than me and work in the NHL.

Iginla is my last honourable mention. He is great but I think that too many people are thinking of his dad when they think of him. His dad was so good and those shoes are almost impossible to fill.

Reactions: dralaf and Rozz

Rozz

Jun 23, 2012
Niagara Falls, Ont.
I'll preface this by saying that like many here, I want a forward with the highest offensive potential that we can get our hand on... one way or another. I know BPA is normally the smart way to go... so, just be thankful I'm not a gm.. as I am woefully under qualified for making these kind of decisions lol

so my list as of now with that in mind:

tier 1
1. Celebrini - obviously... who wouldn't?

tier 2
2. Demidov- I think is a close second, and has them pure skills that he will be an offensive jedi out there

tier3
3. Catton - I think this kid has what it takes to become an absolute star in the NHL! speed, skills, hand, brain, scores goals, racks assists... at our spot, if the obvious kids are gone I'm taking Catton! his size concerns are way over blown as happens every year with sub 6ft players. kids 5'11 170lb... he's gonna get bigger and stronger... its a non issue.
4. Lindstrom- what's not to like? skills, size, speed, a little agression! the back problem scare has me a bit worried and thus why I dropped him below catton.. but I ain't gonna be mad at either!
5. Iginla- one of the youngest kids in the draft I belive? rising huge, plays the right way, can score some big goals! skills and decent size. I'll be hyped for this kid if we select him.

tier 4
6. Eiserman - goals goals and more goals... and that kinda is the goal!
7. - Parekh - could be and insane point producing Star dman!
8. Levshunov
9. Helenius
10. Buium

and honestly the last tier (6 - 10) is pretty interchangeable for me.

while I definitely have favorite that I want a bit more... I do not dislike any of these option and will be excited by any of them ... just some a bit more than others!

Last edited:

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
How Catton and Iginla are almost the same frame but one gets dubbed small with 0 jam and the other one with leadership, grit and character when they have watched neither play is crazy. I wish I had a dad with such a good reputation that I got brownie intangible points for it. Iginla married a small white girl. It is not impossible Tij is already close to his physical peak.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
How Catton and Iginla are almost the same frame but one gets dubbed small with 0 jam and the other one with leadership, grit and character when they have watched neither play is crazy. I wish I had a dad with such a good reputation that I got brownie intangible points for it. Iginla married a small white girl. It is not impossible Tij is already close to his physical peak.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
2b. Kevin Lindstrom <-- The complete package of exactly what we need to add. A no brainer pick for Montreal. He might be a better option for us than Demidov. We need to carefully consider and try to forecast who would be better for us in the playoffs between Lindstrom and Demidov, and who would be better at age 25.
1713508328724.png

slybel

Jan 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Dam the kid Iginla would fit well in the team!
There are 5-6 D picks in the top 10. Not sure they pick one.
If they dont get 1-2, Catton or Lindstrom are probably what they would pick.

I would draft down, get something good in return and pick Iginla.

Reactions: Rozz

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
Imagine being a hockey brain and thinking Kotkaniemi could be BPA over Quinn Hughes.

Yowza.
Man if I wasn't so lazy I'd go through that draft thread and show people how bad I got roasted for wanting Hughes at 3, it was pretty bad. Anyway... I think the top end forward group has a nice variety of skillsets and it comes down to personal preferences since there aren't really any standouts outside of 2 IMO (Celebrini, Demidov). It's a pretty big crapshoot and time will tell who was right.

NeptunesTrident

Feb 22, 2007
Celebrini
Demidov
Catton
Iginla
Levshunov
Dickinson
Lindstrom

Add Silayev, Eiserman, Parekh, Buium, Helenius. Strong chance there will be at least 3 of the Top 7 available if we pick @7. With Lindstrom’s injury I wonder if he won’t drop.

Reactions: Rozz

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
#1. Malcolm Celebrini <-- No explanation required

#2. Undecided for now.

2a. Ilya Demidov <-- Sublime skill, he will add excitement that we've been missing probably since Kovalev. It's highly possible Lindstrom is the better pick for us instead because of what he brings to the table, and I could be swayed to go Lindstrom instead.

Are we allowed a's and b's? What about c's. :dunno:
This will be fun to revisit after the lottery.

lillypad33

Sep 20, 2008
Kitchener
With his combination of size, skill and speed, Lindstrom is the potential home run of this draft class. If you can tolerate the health risk associated with taking this player, he’s the one to go with. Regrettably, I doubt in the end, that we will have the choice/ opportunity to draft this player. But if we do, he’s my choice.

I was really hoping that the Canadiens could have somehow snagged Leo Carlsson in the 2023 draft....
I have a feeling the Lindstrom is going to to go Anaheim again....arghhh!

I am more than ok with Catton though.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I was really hoping that the Canadiens could have somehow snagged Leo Carlsson in the 2023 draft....
I have a feeling the Lindstrom is going to to go Anaheim again....arghhh!

I am more than ok with Catton though.
Whether it’s Catton, Iginla, Buium, Lindstrom, Dickinson, etc. we’re getting a player who will be a core player for us for the next decade.

As I’ve posted, its what we do with the Winnipeg pick that will tell the story how impactful this draft will be for the team. This is a much deeper draft than many think. And if we’re on the ball, there’s a good chance we can walk away with two premium assets.

And wouldn’t that be fine with the emergence of Slafkovsky and the arrival of Hutson.

Last edited:

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Am I the only one that thinks Lindstrom will not be a top 6 and I don't want the Habs to pick him?
His injuries are kind of a question mark since he shoot up in the draft with his great start, but you can't tell if he would have kept that up or if it would have dried out in the second half of the season. I can see why some people might not want to take him that high...but at the same time, he has a great floor with his skating/size/tools.

Reactions: Maitz

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Time to talk a lot more about Konsta Helenius......cause if we don't we'll end up with him.....this management seems to always go with the less talk candidates so far on these boards.

Either it was for GM, Coach, 1st in 2022 or 1st in 2023....always the one we talked the less about!

• Haha
Reactions: Rozz and Maitz

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
It might not be popular based off our depth but if we pick without moving, I’d love Buium. I’ve watched the foxes, Hughes , makars, hutsons and this guy is in that tier offensively. Finished top scorer as a d in college this year , albeit played four more games than Hutson. I love this kid’s game. I say We go for it and figure out any problems later with too much talent.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Hutson - NHL’er, but a minute munching top pairing guy? Unlikely.
Guhle - looks good, but is he top pairing or a #3?
Matheson - 2 mores seasons, over 30. Could be leaving when this draft pick is ready.

Buium - Reinbacher
Guhle - Mailloux
Hutson - Xhekaj
Kovy

You could do the same with the forwards. Dach often injured, Roy and Mesar unproven, Newhook has never hit 35 points. Second line questions tho.

Reactions: bsl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad