Your top 7 for the 2024 draft

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
Hughes did just say if they find themselves in the BPA is a D and it's clear and obvious, that they'd look at other options.

They're gonna make sure they are getting a forward they want.
yeah, I remember that, but saying it in a press conference and doing it... that's two different things. Need a trade partner willing to play ball. I'm looking forward for the lottery... more fun to come then

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
That being said, Catton is not a power forward at all. He will never provide grit and weight to the game. But I don't think his size is an issue. But in terms of talent and ceiling, he has much more potential as compared to Iggy who I am afraid is more likely to end up as a 3rd line energy player.
I think that Demidov, Catton and Lindstrom might be grouped in the same tier, it's just a matter of taste. Iginla is a notch below those three, a tier lower.

MarioLeMoose

Jul 15, 2022
Why not 10?

Macklin
Demidov
Levshunov
Buium
Parekh
Catton
Dickinson
Iginla
Helenius
Eiserman

Bonus Q, The Flames call they have 2 offers to secure Iginla; 6ov and Anderson for 9ov or 6ov for 9ov and Honzek, are you interested?
I want Anderson gone, but not enough I am willing to move down 3 spots that high in the draft just to shed his salary. Easy pass for me.
As for Honzek, I am not familiar enough with him to have a hard stance on that offer

Reactions: Rozz

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
This provides a good prediction of what, subject to trades, will occur at the draft.

Each player, other than Celebrini, comes with their respective warts and concerns:

Demidov: the Russian factor and the level of competition he faced this year will be a concern to many teams; Perhaps more than ever, too. If the Habs know about Demidov's plans they could pick him after he's fallen

Dickinson:
high floor, but a lack of elite skating may restrict him to only a top 4 defenceman in the NHL. Do you want to expend a top 5 pick on the next Chariot? Glad we are for sure not picking this guy, but he could get picked in the top 4.

Buuim:
best skating defenceman in the draft, but is vulnerable in the defensive zone at times; Again can't see a D getting picked by us

Lindstrom:
His combination of size , skill and skating is probably unmatched in this draft. But what good is that potential if his availability is questionable due to his history of injuries. The fact that we have a new med staff makes me less worried if he becomes a hab

Catton:
How well does this highly talented, but smallish player's talents and game translate to the NHL game? Are you drafting the next Brayden Point or the next Sean Farrell? Agreed we need to get guys who can play with both skill and physicality

Iginla:
One of the youngest players available in the draft, teams have to question is this highly competitive player a one year wonder in the WHL? Bloodlines can be bullshit, but Iggy jr is a very tempting pick if we drop to 7

I think it will come down to the Canadiens having to choose one of Lindstrom, Catton or Iginla. I know who I would choose.
I think overall I'd go Lindstrom if the doctors are confident he'll get healthy.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Hughes did just say if they find themselves in the BPA is a D and it's clear and obvious, that they'd look at other options.

They're gonna make sure they are getting a forward they want.
Yes, this is beyond obvious, not sure why some can't see it. Hughes has literally told us this. I don't think he's lying.

But my top 7 goes like this:

1. Celebrini
2. Demidov
3. Lindstrom
4. Leshunov
5. Buium
6. Eiserman
7. Silayev

Last edited:

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Does anyone know anything about Lindstrom's back injury? So much for me hinges on that, if Celebrini and Demidov are gone when we pick. Have there been other young players with wonky backs at the draft who have later thrived in the league?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
yeah, I remember that, but saying it in a press conference and doing it... that's two different things. Need a trade partner willing to play ball. I'm looking forward for the lottery... more fun to come then

I'm sure if there's a clear BPA D man on the board, it won't be hard to find a trade partner. Certainly a lot easier than trading a valuable young defenseman for a young valuable forward.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Does anyone know anything about Lindstrom's back injury? So much for me hinges on that, if Celebrini and Demidov are gone when we pick. Have there been other young players with wonky backs at the draft who have later thrived in the league?
Yeah, I agree with you - back injuries are not to be taken lightly. That's a no from me, unless he somehow falls to our Winnipeg pick (which he definitely won't).

As talented as a player may be, we need them to be healthy. Look at Dach this year: the rumours of him being always injury-prone were completely spot on. He played a total of 2 games. We don't need another Dach.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
None of us has had access to Lindstrom’s medical records but the Habs will and so will their battery of in-house medical experts.

Hence, if Lindstrom convinces Hughes and his staff that he’s not a health liability, then that’s good enough for me. But, that’s just me.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
I'm going assuming I'm concerned with Lindstroms injury issues and health issues here otherwise he would be in my top 4

1. Celebrini
2. Buium
3. Demidov
4. Levshunov

5. Iginla
6. Helenius
7. Catton

5 to 7 is as close as it gets and might just be a toss up

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Ok. Let me begin by saying we will draft 2OA and we will draft Demidov.

But here is my personal top 7 for Habs :

1-Celebrini
2-Demidov
3-Levshunov
4-Lindstrom
5-Catton
6-Iginla
7-Helenius

• Love

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I want Anderson gone, but not enough I am willing to move down 3 spots that high in the draft just to shed his salary. Easy pass for me.
As for Honzek, I am not familiar enough with him to have a hard stance on that offer
Anderson and Gallagher will eventually be bought out when we will need the money. I don't see KH trading assets to trade them out. So you'll have to endure them for a while. To be fair Gallagher had a relatively good season specially the last 10 games or so where he looked like his old self.

Reactions: dcyhabs

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
No. Radio silence for the most part and that's tough. The range of severity in back injuries means that trying to speculate on whether or not it will be a long term issue is pretty meaningless.

Not attending the U18s could mean that the issue is persisting and affecting his play. It could also mean that there's a risk of re-injury within this time frame. It could also be that a couple of months of rehab and strengthening mean this is a non-issue for the rest of his career.

Hopefully know more at the combine.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
No. Radio silence for the most part and that's tough. The range of severity in back injuries means that trying to speculate on whether or not it will be a long term issue is pretty meaningless.

Not attending the U18s could mean that the issue is persisting and affecting his play. It could also mean that there's a risk of re-injury within this time frame. It could also be that a couple of months of rehab and strengthening mean this is a non-issue for the rest of his career.

Hopefully know more at the combine.
Some back injuries can linger, but I feel like most with the right balance of rest/rehab can for the most part have you feeling like new. I’ve gone through some issues myself and luckily rest, rehab, stretching and massages have worked. Strength training can also play a large role in the rehab. All depends on the nature of his injuries, but I don’t think skipping the U18s raises any huge red flags for me. I mean, it would have been that he was ready to go, but I don’t think this means bavk injuries will permanently derail his career.

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
I really want Iginla.....Canadian kid with excellent pedigree to boot....youngest of this draft.....I would love it if we pick him.....please and thankyou!

Reactions: HuGo Sham

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
This provides a good prediction of what, subject to trades, will occur at the draft.

Each player, other than Celebrini, comes with their respective warts and concerns:

Demidov: the Russian factor and the level of competition he faced this year will be a concern to many teams;

Dickinson: high floor, but a lack of elite skating may restrict him to only a top 4 defenceman in the NHL. Do you want to expend a top 5 pick on the next Chariot?

Buuim: best skating defenceman in the draft, but is vulnerable in the defensive zone at times;

Lindstrom: His combination of size , skill and skating is probably unmatched in this draft. But what good is that potential if his availability is questionable due to his history of injuries.

Catton: How well does this highly talented, but smallish player's talents and game translate to the NHL game? Are you drafting the next Brayden Point or the next Sean Farrell?

Iginla: One of the youngest players available in the draft, teams have to question is this highly competitive player a one year wonder in the WHL?

I think it will come down to the Canadiens having to choose one of Lindstrom, Catton or Iginla. I know who I would choose.
Who would you choose?

I would choose Lindstrom (if he passes the physical), because he is the type of player Montreal needs, but I really like Iginla as well...

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
01. Celebrini
02. Demidov
03. Catton
04. Dickinson
05. Buium
06. Iginla
07. Lindstrom

In order of BPA, I would not pick a Russian with a top 10 pick. The other draft in Russia makes it risky.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad