Your Top 50 List?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafaholix*

Just for fun, make a list of your top 50 prospects.

I took a few things into consideration for my list, including:

- Potential
- The chances of the player reaching that potential
- What if they don't reach that potential? This is why "hit or miss" prospects fell down the list

01. Alexander Ovechkin - Washington
02. Kari Lehtonen - Atlanta
03. Evgeny Malkin - Pittsburgh
04. Nikolai Zherdev - Columbus
05. Marc-Andre Fleury - Pittsburgh
06. Dion Phaneuf - Calgary
07. Nathan Horton - Florida
08. Ryan Suter - Nashville
09. Milan Michalek - San Jose
10. Jeff Carter - Philadelphia
11. Alexander Semin - Washington
12. Cam Barker - Chicago
13. Dustin Brown - Los Angeles
14. Zach Parise - New Jersey
15. Hannu Toivonen - Boston
16. Maxime Ouellet - Washington
17. Fedor Tjutin - NY Rangers
18. Ray Emery - Ottawa
19. Niklas Kronwall - Detroit
20. Denis Grebeshkov - Los Angeles
21. Ryan Miller - Buffalo
22. Lauri Tukonen - Los Angeles
23. Marek Schwarz - St. Louis
24. Ryan Getzlaf - Anaheim
25. Alexander Steen - Toronto
26. Steve Eminger - Washington
27. Carlo Colaiacovo - Toronto
28. Patrick O'Sullivan - Minnesota
29. Robbie Schremp - Edmonton
30. Ilja Bryzgalov - Anaheim
31. Thomas Vanek - Buffalo
32. Andrei Kostitsyn - Montreal
33. Henrik Lundqvist - NY Rangers
34. Alvaro Montoya - NY Rangers
35. Rostislav Olesz - Florida
36. Mike Richards - Philadelphia
37. Loui Eriksson - Dallas
38. Anton Babchuk - Chicago
39. Anthony Stewart - Florida
40. Igor Grigorenko - Detroit
41. Antero Niittymaki - Philadelphia
42. Christopher Higgins - Montreal
43. Jozef Balej - NY Rangers
44. Jeff Tambellini - Los Angeles
45. Braydon Coburn - Atlanta
46. Ryan Whitney - Pittsburgh
47. Lukas Krajicek - Florida
48. Ladislav Smid - Anaheim
49. Eric Fehr - Washington
50. David LeNeveu - Phoenix

Notes:

Thomas Vanek (#31) & Andrei Kostitsyn (#32) - Both have insane amounts of talent, but we've seen that in the past with high European draft picks. Neither seem to be adjusting to the AHL and they both are basically hit or miss. Defensively they're both mediocre at best, this was a huge factor in them falling.

Niklas Kronwall (#19) - I can't see why he was left off HF.com's list. After years of greatness in Sweden, he moves to North America and is one of the best new defensemen in the league. He then plays in Detroit where from everything I've heard, he was rock-solid.

Henrik Lundqvist (#33) & Alvaro Montoya (#34) - While Montoya may have high potential because of his age, Lundqvist is dominating a man's league. He's still young and if he adjusts to the North American game can be a star in the NHL.

Anton Babchuk (#38) & Braydon Coburn (#45) - Since it's my list, they fall way down the list, especially Coburn. I'm not very high on either, especially Coburn. Comparisons between him and bigger (in size) defensemen in the NHL seem far-fetched... that's in regards to some people comparing him to Chris Pronger. Though he's still a good prospect, I can't and won't buy into the hype. Every time I've seen him play he's never dominated any game and I think his size is extremely overrated, you don't have to be 6'6" to be a great prospect, though it can hurt you.

Left off:

Andrew Ladd - He had a great rookie season in the WHL as an 18 year old. But I don't see tremendous upside in him, though he's a certainly safe bet to play in the NHL. Going 4th overall in the draft was a huge surprise considering he has a slightly above average ceiling and many forwards that followed in the '04 draft had much higher upside offensively.

Antoine Vermette - I've seen a lot of Ottawa games and he's one of the best skaters in the league. It may have been the role he was assigned, but I barely remember him controlling the puck or using his speed as an advantage with the puck, stickhandling and making the offensive plays he's probably capable of. Worst case scenario would probably be a 3rd line centre because of his speed and forechecking abilities as well as the offensive skills that can get you atleast 30+ points a season, but I don't see the upside some people do. I like him a lot after watching him play a bunch last season, he'd probably fall just shy of 50, possibly into the 60's because of his age compared to some of the other prospects, he's 22 years old.

Corey Perry - I don't see it. He's got the height and apparently gained some weight, but his skating is still pretty average at best. He still looks lanky and weak on the puck when he's not making the dazzling moves. I've said it in the past, he looks like a one-zone forward, not a great neutral zone or defensive forward... but he'll blow your mind with the puck in the offensive end, especially on the PP.

AJ Thelen - He's a good prospect, but I can't see him as a top 10 prospect on the blueline. His scouting reports read like Paul Mara's though, which is promising.

Last edited by a moderator:

bruins4777*

I'm not sure if i could do a top 50, but as a side note ovechkin to me isn't as good a prospect as kari.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
Leafaholix said:
Anton Babchuk (#38) & Braydon Coburn (#45) - Since it's my list, they fall way down the list, especially Coburn. I'm not very high on either, especially Coburn. Comparisons between him and bigger (in size) defensemen in the NHL seem far-fetched... that's in regards to some people comparing him to Chris Pronger. Though he's still a good prospect, I can't and won't buy into the hype. Every time I've seen him play he's never dominated any game and I think his size is extremely overrated, you don't have to be 6'6" to be a great prospect, though it can hurt you.
Coburn is not the kind of defenseman who is going to dominate a game, and comparisons to Pronger seem way off to me. He isn't half as physical and not as good offensively. However, Coburn is not only very safe, his high ceiling and floror are very close together. His ceiling is a top pairing defenseman, and his base is probably no lower than a #4. His combination of size, incredible hockey sense, excellent skating (not just straight line, he pivots, skates backwards and turns well), passing and perfect positioning make him a great prospect. I am not the type to go by what I hear and read, so I can only compare him to other prospects I have seen (mostly WHL), but I'd have him ahead of Barker (by a wide margin too).

It seems extremely unfair to me for Coburn to be penalized for the hype that was put on him earlier that he isn't living up to. He's not the TYPE of dman that people expected, but he is, in my eyes, just as GOOD of a defenseman. Just a different kind. Rather than compare him to Pronger, I'd compare him to Ohlund. Still an elite NHL defenseman, just a completely different kind.

On the other hand, I completely agree about Ladd. I just don't see what the big deal about this guy is. He has decent hands and he's a great passer, but his maximum potential to me is a second line power forward, and I think it's more likely he ends up as an average 3rd liner.

leafaholix*

Crossbar said:
Understandable mistake but you should change that for the Anaheim fans. ;)
Ah, darn.

:lol

Well, he does play for Calgary.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
as a vancouver fan:

1. Alexander Auld, G
2. Ryan Kesler, C
3. Kirill Koltsov, D
4. Ilya Krikunov, C
5. Cory Schneider, G
6. Evgeny Gladskikh, LW
7. Brett Skinner, D
8. Marc-Andre Bernier, RW
9. Tomas Mojzis, D
10. Brandon Nolan, RW
11. Denis Grot, D
12. Brandon Reid, C
13. Fedor Fedorov, LW
14. Francois-Pierre Guenette, C
15. Lukas Mensator, G
16. Kevin Bieska, D
17. Jesse Schultz, RW
18. Julien Ellis-Plante, G
19. Mike Brown, RW
Chad Brownlee, D
Nicklas Danielsson, LW
Alexander Edler, D
Matt Gens, D
Jannik Hansen, RW
Matthew Hansen, D
Jason King, RW
John Laliberte, RW
Nathan McIver, D
Robert McVicar, G
Konstantin Mikhailov, C
Thomas Nüssli, LW
Marc-Andre Roy, LW
Andrew Sarauer, LW
David Schulz, D
Nathan Smith, C
Tim Smith, C
Sergei Topol, RW
Matt Violin, G
Alexander Ovechkin - Washington
Kari Lehtonen - Atlanta
Evgeny Malkin - Pittsburgh
Nikolai Zherdev - Columbus
Marc-Andre Fleury - Pittsburgh
Dion Phaneuf - Calgary
Nathan Horton - Florida
Ryan Suter - Nashville
Milan Michalek - San Jose
Jeff Carter - Philadelphia
Alexander Semin - Washington
Cam Barker - Chicago

ok sorry, bad joke. nice list imo leafaholix :handclap:

Last edited:

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
well it was tough, especially trying to see who got the elusive 30th spot on my first list.. i mean, you could compare all day the dynamic abilities of Konstantin Mikhailov abd Thomas Nüssli.. but essentially, i had to come to a decision..

tough though...

leafaholix*

Greg7 said:
Coburn is not the kind of defenseman who is going to dominate a game, and comparisons to Pronger seem way off to me. He isn't half as physical and not as good offensively. However, Coburn is not only very safe, his high ceiling and floror are very close together. His ceiling is a top pairing defenseman, and his base is probably no lower than a #4. His combination of size, incredible hockey sense, excellent skating (not just straight line, he pivots, skates backwards and turns well), passing and perfect positioning make him a great prospect. I am not the type to go by what I hear and read, so I can only compare him to other prospects I have seen (mostly WHL), but I'd have him ahead of Barker (by a wide margin too).

It seems extremely unfair to me for Coburn to be penalized for the hype that was put on him earlier that he isn't living up to. He's not the TYPE of dman that people expected, but he is, in my eyes, just as GOOD of a defenseman. Just a different kind. Rather than compare him to Pronger, I'd compare him to Ohlund. Still an elite NHL defenseman, just a completely different kind.

On the other hand, I completely agree about Ladd. I just don't see what the big deal about this guy is. He has decent hands and he's a great passer, but his maximum potential to me is a second line power forward, and I think it's more likely he ends up as an average 3rd liner.
I don't think I'm punishing him because of all the hype, I think it's fair to say he's a really good prospect, but I don't buy all the hype about him being a concensus top 10 or 15 prospect.

Braydon Coburn at #45 may look low when you look at other lists, but the chances of him developing into the tenth or eleventh best player (of those who are currently prospects) are pretty much the same as him developing into the 30th, 40th, or 50th best player in the future, so it really came down to preference.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Leafaholix said:
12. Cam Barker - Chicago
18. Ray Emery - Ottawa

I'm more or less down with this list. No major complaints. Maybe Carter, Emery, and Steen are higher than I'd put them, but overall, I agree.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Leafaholix said:
[Left off:

Andrew Ladd - He had a great rookie season in the WHL as an 18 year old. But I don't see tremendous upside in him, though he's a certainly safe bet to play in the NHL. Going 4th overall in the draft was a huge surprise considering he has a slightly above average ceiling and many forwards that followed in the '04 draft had much higher upside offensively.

Why did Ladd going fourth surprise you? He was the top ranked North American player, and every scout I talked to said he was a top-five talent in the draft.

I don't see exactly why the top ranked North American going fourth is a surprise at all.

leafaholix*

Aaron Vickers said:
Why did Ladd going fourth surprise you? He was the top ranked North American player, and every scout I talked to said he was a top-five talent in the draft.

I don't see exactly why the top ranked North American going fourth is a surprise at all.
The talent behind him was obviously superior. Was there a chance he'd go at #4? Yes, but many of us were expecting a guy like Lauri Tukonen or Rostislav Olesz to go at #4. For many of us who don't have access to scouts, it was obviously somewhat a surprise.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
andora said:
as a vancouver fan:

1. Alexander Auld, G
2. Ryan Kesler, C
3. Kirill Koltsov, D
4. Ilya Krikunov, C
5. Cory Schneider, G
6. Evgeny Gladskikh, LW
7. Brett Skinner, D
8. Marc-Andre Bernier, RW
9. Tomas Mojzis, D
10. Brandon Nolan, RW
11. Denis Grot, D
12. Brandon Reid, C
13. Fedor Fedorov, LW
14. Francois-Pierre Guenette, C
15. Lukas Mensator, G
16. Kevin Bieska, D
17. Jesse Schultz, RW
18. Julien Ellis-Plante, G
19. Mike Brown, RW
Chad Brownlee, D
Nicklas Danielsson, LW
Alexander Edler, D
Matt Gens, D
Jannik Hansen, RW
Matthew Hansen, D
Jason King, RW
John Laliberte, RW
Nathan McIver, D
Robert McVicar, G
Konstantin Mikhailov, C
Thomas Nüssli, LW
Marc-Andre Roy, LW
Andrew Sarauer, LW
David Schulz, D
Nathan Smith, C
Tim Smith, C
Sergei Topol, RW
Matt Violin, G
Alexander Ovechkin - Washington
Kari Lehtonen - Atlanta
Evgeny Malkin - Pittsburgh
Nikolai Zherdev - Columbus
Marc-Andre Fleury - Pittsburgh
Dion Phaneuf - Calgary
Nathan Horton - Florida
Ryan Suter - Nashville
Milan Michalek - San Jose
Jeff Carter - Philadelphia
Alexander Semin - Washington
Cam Barker - Chicago

ok sorry, bad joke. nice list imo leafaholix :handclap:

No way Fedorov should be that low. Come on!

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
Leafaholix said:
12. Cam Barker - Chicago
18. Ray Emery - Ottawa

:handclap:

That's a great list. Easily better than HFs.

Just a few minor things. I still think that Tjutin is a little too high when you compare him to guys like Eminger and Colaiacovo. Honestly I'd probably put those guys ahead of Tjutin.

Secondly, I'd have Colaiacovo ahead of Steen, but that doesn't really matter much as they're only 2 spots apart.

And third I'd have Kesler on the list.

leafaholix*

Frolov 6'3 said:
Leafaholix, do you also have something to add about Jeff Tambellini ? Surprised to see his name on your list.
Nothing that you wouldn't know as a Kings fan, but I think he's a definite NHL player because of his skating and that offensive upside as well as his defensive play. With his size, skating, and offensive skills (especially his wrist shot), he sounds a lot like a poor man's Joe Sakic.

I like him, even though he played more of a forechecking role with team Canada last year, I think he was a guy that could've been relied on to score goals.

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
solid list and I do like it better than HF's list, i tend to like your analysis/thinking and not a knock on them.. but perhaps easier for 1 person ( albeit knowledgeable) to make a list than when theres a group.....im sure if i was in a commitee making a list thered be someone nagging me that brendl should be top 10 because he has tremendous offensive upside....you get the idea too many cooks can spoil the dinner...of course any list will be critisized because essentially it does beome opinion and is still a crapshoot...and sometimes you have a GUT FEELING about players that you just cant quite explain in words... for instance when Ruutu and Koivu were drafted..i was high on Ruutu but dindt think Koivu would do much in the NHL... but i knew if i took him off the top 50 list ( back then) thered be an uproar ...

ok back to this list did you consider Kaigorodov in there? i have a feeling he will fit great with Ottawa... he is a superb passer/playmaker..i think he will surprise many.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
07. Ryan Suter - Nashville
08. Nathan Horton - Florida
09. Zach Parise - New Jersey
12. Cam Barker - Chicago
14. Hannu Toivonen - Boston
15. Maxime Ouellet - Washington
16. Fedor Tjutin - NY Rangers
17. Ray Emery - Ottawa
18. Milan Michalek - San Jose
40. Timofei Shishkanov - Nashville

leafaholix*

HOCKEY_GURU said:
solid list and I do like it better than HF's list, i tend to like your analysis/thinking and not a knock on them.. but perhaps easier for 1 person ( albeit knowledgeable) to make a list than when theres a group.....im sure if i was in a commitee making a list thered be someone nagging me that brendl should be top 10 because he has tremendous offensive upside....you get the idea too many cooks can spoil the dinner...of course any list will be critisized because essentially it does beome opinion and is still a crapshoot...and sometimes you have a GUT FEELING about players that you just cant quite explain in words... for instance when Ruutu and Koivu were drafted..i was high on Ruutu but dindt think Koivu would do much in the NHL... but i knew if i took him off the top 50 list ( back then) thered be an uproar ...

ok back to this list did you consider Kaigorodov in there? i have a feeling he will fit great with Ottawa... he is a superb passer/playmaker..i think he will surprise many.
Kaygorodov came to mind, but with Meszaros failing to make list as well as some other very good forwards, I didn't think I could have Kaygorodov as a top 50 prospect, even with his oustanding start to the season.

I think there are a few guys with little hype that could have made the list anywhere from 40 to 50, Igor Mirnov, Alexei Kaygorodov, Carl Soderberg, and Johan Fransson just being a few. But I like the guys I have there, you can tweak here and there, but it really doesn't make a difference since the guys I named would probably all go in the 60's early 70's on my list.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
Leaf Army said:
:handclap:

That's a great list. Easily better than HFs.

Just a few minor things. I still think that Tjutin is a little too high when you compare him to guys like Eminger and Colaiacovo. Honestly I'd probably put those guys ahead of Tjutin.

Secondly, I'd have Colaiacovo ahead of Steen, but that doesn't really matter much as they're only 2 spots apart.

And third I'd have Kesler on the list.

Don't forget that HF's rankings didn't account for anything that happened so far this hockey season.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Just a question for those reading this thread, but I was wondering where everyone thought some of the Predator's players would rank. Obviously we have a deep organization filled with quality prospects, but we rarely get more than one person on the list. How close do you believe these prospects are to being on the list? I would say all of them are in the top 100 if not 75:

Alexander Radulov
Timofei Shishkanov
Shea Weber
Keven Klein
Scottie Upshall

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
Enoch said:
Just a question for those reading this thread, but I was wondering where everyone thought some of the Predator's players would rank. Obviously we have a deep organization filled with quality prospects, but we rarely get more than one person on the list. How close do you believe these prospects are to being on the list? I would say all of them are in the top 100 if not 75:

Alexander Radulov
Timofei Shishkanov
Shea Weber
Keven Klein
Scottie Upshall

Radulov-~62
Shishkanov-~45
Weber-~65
Klein-~60
Upshall-~30

Thats where i'd put em I think. I love the preds prospects. What a great young team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad