Your thoughts on these 2 off season ideas

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Hope this is threadworthy since theres tons of good posters on here and I'd like to hear there opinions on this.

1. AFTER the season is finished and prior to July 1 what do you think it would cost to get JB's rights back from the Isles and have some exclusive negotiating time??? Would a 3rd or 4th rounder get it done? I think this would be a great move because Boychuk said he would have taken a discount to stay here and if we trade for him prior to July 1 we can test him on that. I'd even give them back a second rounder of theirs for an exclusive negotiating period with JB.

2. Giving the C to Bergeron after the season. No its not a nice thing to do to Z but it might be the one way we get him to waive his NMC. Chara really stuck it to us getting those extra years on his deal and if he remains a Bruin through the duration of it there is no way that his play at the end of his time here with be worthy of the C. Do the mean thing now and maybe you fix all our cap problems immediately? Thoughts? I like Big Z but I take a Clarkson type dump in a heartbeat if I can get it due to his age and salary.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Hope this is threadworthy since theres tons of good posters on here and I'd like to hear there opinions on this.

1. AFTER the season is finished and prior to July 1 what do you think it would cost to get JB's rights back from the Isles and have some exclusive negotiating time??? Would a 3rd or 4th rounder get it done? I think this would be a great move because Boychuk said he would have taken a discount to stay here and if we trade for him prior to July 1 we can test him on that. I'd even give them back a second rounder of theirs for an exclusive negotiating period with JB.

2. Giving the C to Bergeron after the season. No its not a nice thing to do to Z but it might be the one way we get him to waive his NMC. Chara really stuck it to us getting those extra years on his deal and if he remains a Bruin through the duration of it there is no way that his play at the end of his time here with be worthy of the C. Do the mean thing now and maybe you fix all our cap problems immediately? Thoughts? I like Big Z but I take a Clarkson type dump in a heartbeat if I can get it due to his age and salary.

No, I think the Boychuk ship has sailed. He will get paid way too much for him to come back to Boston.

Yes, Z needs to go. Time to move on. Seids needs to go as well.

Consider firing Claude. Amazing that plays have so much success when they leave Claude's stifling system.

1) Kessel is an offensive weapon
2) Seguin is a top point producer
3) Boychuk has an amazing year once he leaves Boston

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
1) Horrible idea, and the last sentence especially is an apocalypse.

2) I don't mind trading players, but not embarrassing them to do it. "Being mean" isn't the same as being cold-hearted.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
That 1st will never happen, JB will re-sign with islanders and he's rights are worth more. Islanders need him.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
If Chia is no longer GM, don't be surprised if Looch is traded. If he's still the GM, look for him to give Looch a 7 year extension at $6-7 million per.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
That 1st will never happen, JB will re-sign with islanders and he's rights are worth more. Islanders need him.

What if he tells them Im not signing until after July 1? BUt you are right they will be throwing everything they have at him and they don't have cap issues like us so they can afford to give him a lot more than we can.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Boychuk is playing a lot of minutes against the weaker lines with the 5th lowest Qualcomp of Islander defensemen. His handling here was just as cautious. Decent defenseman,overrated here. Miscast as more than a 3-4.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Things have changed since Johnny made that home town discount statement. He's out of range right now. Doubt he gives the Islanders a discount either.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Things have changed since Johnny made that home town discount statement. He's out of range right now. Doubt he gives the Islanders a discount either.

He'd be foolish to. He's going to cash in huge after this year, and rightfully so. The team that signs him will regret it down the road, but someone will pay.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
He'd be foolish to. He's going to cash in huge after this year, and rightfully so. The team that signs him will regret it down the road, but someone will pay.

If he was playing true first D assignments he'd be exposed. Looking a little deeper shows how he's used.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Um, no to either

That is all

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I don't want to pay Boychuck 6+ million per year. I do think Bergeron should get the "C" before Chara's contract is up. Maybe after next season.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Boychuk wasn't happy with the way he got moved... He ain't taking any discounts for us and he ain't worth 6.5m.

Chara would waive his NMC if we asked him. He would not tarnish his legacy here, as he's likely going to be in the rafters. Chara isn't as good as he used to be, but trading him for a Clarkson is just stupid. Chara is still capable of playing at a high level... someone like Clarkson is not. And what would giving the C to Bergy do? Bergy and Chara are pretty much co-captains already. The difference between a "C" and "A" means nothing besides aesthetics.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Boychuk wasn't happy with the way he got moved... He ain't taking any discounts for us and he ain't worth 6.5m.

Chara would waive his NMC if we asked him. He would not tarnish his legacy here, as he's likely going to be in the rafters. Chara isn't as good as he used to be, but trading him for a Clarkson is just stupid. Chara is still capable of playing at a high level... someone like Clarkson is not.

Z might waive that NMC but it would be completely under his terms meaning the limited teams he would accept a trade to would no doubt know about it and the return, I would suggest, would break the interwebz here with the reactions from the fans

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Z might waive that NMC but it would be completely under his terms meaning the limited teams he would accept a trade to would no doubt know about it and the return, I would suggest, would break the interwebz here with the reactions from the fans

He was the biggest reason why this team went from a perennial joke to a perennial threat. He won us a Cup, something no one else could do for 39 years. If we trade him, the return for him isn't going to be great, anyway. Who's giving up prime assets for a guy past his prime at a huge cap hit? At least let it be on his terms. He deserves that much...

He's suggesting we trade him for someone like Clarkson to cut salary. He obviously isn't expecting much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad