Your thoughts on the first month?

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
So opening night was Oct. 12 so it's basically been one month of games.

How is the team doing relative to your expectations? Wide range of reactions from my friends which served as the inspiration for this poll.

So how you feeling about your Blues so far?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I expected a drop off, but I expected them to be a much better team on the ice. A lot of the time, they look completely lost. Schwartz with forced passes to the slot, Steen with stupid reverse hits, etc. If those players perform like they did last season, we'd be performing a lot better.

Last edited:

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Team is much worse than I expected. They're a bit lower in the standings than I thought they'd be but their on-ice performance is just way below what it should be

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Pretty much as expected in terms of the standings. Some of the players are doing more or less that I was expecting.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I thought(and still do think) the team would be a bit better. They're in a rough patch right now, no question, but I don't think it's permanent. I still see us finishing in 2nd or 3rd in the Central and competing in the playoffs.

jura

booze & blues
Mar 29, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
giphy.gif

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
The penalty kill is vastly superior to what I thought it would be, especially with Shaw gone. The offense has been worse but i'm not sure how much I expect it to get while considering the penalty kill can't possibly keep this up. In other words the offense will improve, but the penalty kill will probably regress a bit too.

Balance it out and this is about what I expected.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I thought they would be a worse team than last year given the loss of Backes and Brouwer but I didn't think they would be this bad.

I'm not sure about Steen and Stastny but I do feel pretty strongly that Fabbri and Schwartz (to a lesser degree) will get better and that will be a big help.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I thought they'd be a little better. I wasn't expecting them to be a powerhouse but the offensive production has not been up to standard, namely Steen/Schwartz/Stastny have been nonexistent.

Last edited:

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I voted that they're about what I thought they would be, but I probably should have voted that they are a bit worse than I thought they would be. I don't think this team is as bad as they have looked so far and I have no doubt that the team improves slightly. I just don't see Fabbri, Schwartz, Steen and Allen all playing at this level all season and we haven't really had an 'overperformance' by anyone so far. So I think the team ends up improving some.

If this is the level we play all season, they are worse than I thought. However, I expected a couple slumps and long stretches of around .500 level play from this team. If this is just one of those long stretches, then they are about what I expected. I thought we would see much more rough hockey this year, but would still easily hit 95+ points. I still believe that is the case, but it is frustrating that the season started with a lot of poor play.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I expected The Blues to play better, and win about 63% of their games. I didn't expect them to have such trouble scoring and to have such inconsistent goaltending.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I expected them to be a lot better. It's not so much the points total, it's the standard of play that is utterly terrible.

16 games into the season and, excluding empty net goals, we have won 1 game by more than 1 goal. We shouldn't be expecting any fast turn around when we can't win any games convincingly.

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
I expected the team to be worse this year but I thought they would be better than what we've seen so far. I still think it was the right decision to move on from Backes, Brouwer, and Elliott and I was prepared for the team to take a hit this year for those loses, but I've been disappointed by the lack of younger players filling the void. That being said it is still early.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I thought they would be about what they are

Blues sucks.

I'm shocked that so many thought we would be better what we're. I hope we don't fall that badly and Army is pushing that panic button and make some idiotic trade. Future assets for rental.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
They are about where I expected them in the standings, fighting for 3rd in the Central/wildcard. However, they are playing much worse than their record shows. I expected them to be bad, but not this bad.

League Rankings:
Points - 12th, Tied with 5 teams
Point % - 16th, Tied with 3 teams
Goal Diff - 24th, only ahead of 5 worst teams and Dallas (by 1)
Goals For - 25th
Goals Against - 23rd
Team Save Percentage - 26th
Team Shooting percentage - 23rd

So while we are ostensibly a playoff team, we shouldn't be based on the stats. We are tied with 2 other teams for 16th best in point percentage and well out of the playoff picture in GF, GA and GF diff. I figured our GF would be down a bit but I am very surprised we are averaging almost 3 GA/g. Looking at the save and shooting percentages its easy to see why.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I voted that I thought they'd be a lot better. Take away those first three games and I think you get a record that is more representative of their play. I will be happy if we make it into the playoffs as a wild card this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad