Votes: 40 8.2%
  • Stinker

Votes: 22 4.5%

• Total voters

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It might take some time for people to realize we have different people in charge and we have a development plan in place. Slafkovsky wasn't in the NHL just to be in the NHL.

Source: The Athletic

“I mean, of course, you always want to accomplish more. I have high standards, so of course I want to do more than what I did,” said Juraj Slafkovský, who didn’t seem too thrilled with his first 39 NHL games but who at least used those games to define himself more as a player.

The Canadiens had mapped out a plan with Slafkovský to gradually incorporate new concepts into his game. It was a plan meant to be developed over more than one season, but it was cut short by the left knee injury he sustained on Jan. 15.

“It would have been nicer to finish the season because we have a plan, and we had to stop with the plan, because if you don’t play, you can’t try the things you are learning from video and from trainings,” Slafkovský pointed out.

That said, instead of sitting around waiting for the day he could jump on the ice — which he did on Monday — Slafkovský spent some time analyzing videos of Matthew Tkachuk that Adam Nicholas, the Canadiens’ Director of hockey development, was sending him. The Florida Panthers’ star winger is one of the NHL’s most successful players in blending the physical aspect of the game with offensive skills, and Nicholas asked Slaf to pay attention to the things Tkachuk does right.

“I mean, it’s a pretty good player obviously in this league, so it’s a lot you can take away from him, for example,” said Slafkovský, who also watched clips from a handful of other players.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
It might take some time for people to realize we have different people in charge and we have a development plan in place. Slafkovsky wasn't in the NHL just to be in the NHL.

Source: The Athletic

“I mean, of course, you always want to accomplish more. I have high standards, so of course I want to do more than what I did,” said Juraj Slafkovský, who didn’t seem too thrilled with his first 39 NHL games but who at least used those games to define himself more as a player.

The Canadiens had mapped out a plan with Slafkovský to gradually incorporate new concepts into his game. It was a plan meant to be developed over more than one season, but it was cut short by the left knee injury he sustained on Jan. 15.

“It would have been nicer to finish the season because we have a plan, and we had to stop with the plan, because if you don’t play, you can’t try the things you are learning from video and from trainings,” Slafkovský pointed out.

That said, instead of sitting around waiting for the day he could jump on the ice — which he did on Monday — Slafkovský spent some time analyzing videos of Matthew Tkachuk that Adam Nicholas, the Canadiens’ Director of hockey development, was sending him. The Florida Panthers’ star winger is one of the NHL’s most successful players in blending the physical aspect of the game with offensive skills, and Nicholas asked Slaf to pay attention to the things Tkachuk does right.

“I mean, it’s a pretty good player obviously in this league, so it’s a lot you can take away from him, for example,” said Slafkovský, who also watched clips from a handful of other players.

Very interestingggggggggggggggggggggg

It's great to hear they have such a comprehensive plan for him.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

durojean

May 29, 2007
What we need to do next year is having an overkill AHL club and

Slafkovsky Mesar, Kidney, Roy Farrell, Tuch, maybe even Heineman. I'd even consider sending down Harris and Barron

We need to take our time with them and let them marinate a bit. So they can win together. We are not in a hurry to win at the NHL level. Let them learn the concepts at the AHL level. And dominate other teams.

Habs will make money either way and Laval will get a impressive team form the get go. With a team like that, they will probably be sold out every night.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Imagine believing what the PR doofuses MAG and Arpon Basu have to say. The same two dittering fools who were hyping Kotkaniemi every day every way. I'd like to see one incisive bit of insight from them two -- one way to differentiate The Athletic from a PR Firm.

Call me jaded but until he shows something elite in the NHL (or even AHL), all those comprehensive development plans and meta-hype are all worthless.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Just curious what people who do in a re-draft:

Mesar(26) or Firkus(35)?
Owen Beck(33) or Firkus(35)?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Mesar(26) or Firkus(35)?

Slaf at 1
Kulich over Mesar at 26
Beck at 33 but I'd have no issue with Firkus
Hutson at 62 obviously
Engstrom at 92
Komarov over Guindon at 127
Davidson is fine at 130, but Grebenkin or Ivanov could have been nice tries
Hemmerling over Croteau at 162
Devine over Nurmi at 194
Fimis over Tourigny at 216

Reactions: Redux91

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Slaf at 1
Kulich over Mesar at 26
Beck at 33 but I'd have no issue with Firkus
Hutson at 62 obviously
Engstrom at 92
Komarov over Guindon at 127
Davidson is fine at 130, but Grebenkin or Ivanov could have been nice tries
Hemmerling over Croteau at 162
Devine over Nurmi at 194
Fimis over Tourigny at 216

I would certainly take Lane Hutson at 26 over Kulich, Firkus or Lambert.

Beck at 33 is a amazing value.

Engstrom at 62, looks like a steal to me. Engstrom have a top 3-4 D potential, for sure.

Mesar at 92, amazing value.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I would certainly take Lane Hutson at 26 over Kulich, Firkus or Lambert.

Beck at 33 is a amazing value.

Engstrom at 62, looks like a steal to me. Engstrom have a top 3-4 D potential, for sure.

Mesar at 92, amazing value.

And how do you know Mesar is there at 92? Hutson was there at 62, why pick him at 26?

I only took guys that were drafted after the pick.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
And how do you know Mesar is there at 92? Hutson was there at 62, why pick him at 26?

I only took guys that were drafted after the pick.

I just re-draft the Habs pick. If we have Hutson at 26 at draft day, everyone don't talk about Kulich or Lambert.

If Mesar is the 92, everyone will be happy to have that value.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I just re-draft the Habs pick. If we have Hutson at 26 at draft day, everyone don't talk about Kulich or Lambert.

If Mesar is the 92, everyone will be happy to have that value.

But I can guarantee you Mesar is not there at 92, if even 33.

There's fantasy drafting and then there's dreaming.

If we got Slaf at 216, everybody would be ecstatic.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Gotta admit, at the end of last years draft it felt weird.

Liked the Reinbacher pick.
Liked the Newhook trade
Loved the Fowler pick (was my guy with Hrabal)
Liked the Eriksson pick.

3 goalies was weird.
Florian pick I trashed.
Didn't get the Konyushkov pick.

And when you think about the surprise stories of this year on a prospect level, youd have to say Eriksson Florian Volokhin and Konyushkov.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017

Mesar(26) or Firkus(35)?
I wanted both Beck and Firkus badly but in all honesty I would have went Kulich (33) and Firkus (35) at the draft which is bonker because I wanted Beck so much but I had both Kulich and Firkus ahead on my list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad